UKBouldering.com

Locating a woodie venue (Read 12152 times)

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#50 Re: Locating a woodie venue
November 10, 2006, 06:51:41 pm
having a problem system similar to the one used in the school room

As in holds that never change position from their initial placement? I am so so so very psyched about whats ahead after 8 long years of hassling my father for this. Invites to its opening will be dished out in due course.

Monolith

• forum hero
#51 Re: Locating a woodie venue
November 13, 2006, 09:14:45 pm
Am I right in asserting that countersunk 90mm bolts will suffice for near enough most bolt-ons? Heard may need 110mm for big slopers et al.
The holds are bought, the vibe is right and the time is nigh!

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#52 Re: Locating a woodie venue
November 13, 2006, 09:39:19 pm
if you need 110mm bolts your holds are too big.  ;)  I'm assuming your 90mm countersunk are 6mm hex... you might find you need 8mm hex (non countersunk) for certain holds (definitely some metolius, probably others). Best of luck mate. I'm heading over to the den tomorrow. Perhaps my next session will be at your board! Call me if you need anything that I can offer.

Monolith

• forum hero
#53 Re: Locating a woodie venue
November 13, 2006, 11:13:10 pm
Too right you'll be on the board Keith! Don't have a provisional name for it yet, but anything working around Upton, or Wirral is good. Got all the holds off Rich last night so just a case of waiting for the ol man to get his vibe on with selling his bandsaw and me helping him assemble the summerhouse. Not long now...

Karl

• regular
    • My band, metal. more metal than yer mam's ketal.
#54 Re: Locating a woodie venue
November 15, 2006, 05:30:50 pm
Okay, i'll point out first that i am rubbish at construction in general and don't know anything about structures.

Basically, i want to build a woodie in my attic. it's about 4 metres high, on an angle of around 40 degrees.

All the joists in the floor look pretty meaty, basically. if i put adequate padding down, will i crash through the ceiling or damage it.

The floor is going to be covered with hardwood flooring, my idea was some mattress's covered with 'proper' climbing pads.

Any advice on this would be great.

Cheers, Karl.

Monolith

• forum hero
#55 Re: Locating a woodie venue
February 27, 2007, 01:25:59 pm
I'd like some feedback on a building solution if possible.

Elevation sketch:

As the premises has a very high ceiling (read ancient gallows) above the board space, I'm operating with this plan in mind. (If you'll pardon the poo paintshop sketch done on my girlfriends PC).

The space is 6 metres width. At the height of the ply boards, I'd set up 4 9 x 3 joists, attached to the side walls by joist hangers. The board is 2 8 x 4's wide, by 3 8 x 4's board length. The framework for the kicker is simple and not an issue.

My question is this: If I was to coachbolt into the joist at the outer most, could I then have the 3 beams running towards the wall with heavy chains into the framework on the back of the board attached via  bolts and hangers? I.e given that the 9 x 3 joist hangers can take the load, would such a system be a sound and solid one?

It has been a bit different with the project due to the lack of a ceiling joist to coachbolt into.

Cheers.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal