Hurkling Stones. (Read 7384 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Hurkling Stones.
February 22, 2007, 10:33:50 am
Are you a fan of very scrittly rock and generally weird landings??

Then this is what you've been missing out on all your life, get up there in the next dry spell, you'll be in paradise  :thumbsup:

P.S. Were all the problems in the guidebook actually climbed??

BenF

• forum hero
#1 Re: Hurkling Stones.
February 22, 2007, 12:09:52 pm
Funny you should post this Fiend.  I was looking at the guide (as happens most evenings) and was thinking I should head up there soon as it's one of the few areas that I've not checked out yet (despite me thinking that grit is not world class of course ;)).

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#2 Re: Hurkling Stones.
February 22, 2007, 12:59:25 pm
Went up to check out the Derwent bouldering last year. nice views but bugger all decent bouldering. The best thing we did was an E1 roof crack thing above a pool and a wander up Great Buttress HVS.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#3 Re: Hurkling Stones.
February 22, 2007, 01:07:51 pm
Great Buttress is a brilliant route. Funnily enough I did that on a day up there in 2001 with the Birkby, his first day leading I think? I did GB, he rambled up a couple of VDiffs, I failed on an HVS roof and fell onto my rucsac containing the discman that I'd brought along for the walk. I don't tend to fail on as many HVS roofs these days....but I think Mike has improved a fair bit more  ::)

The roof crack would be Spartan, that's meant to be good.

I'll definitely get up there for a long day's bimbling sometime  :).

Ben - I too was enticed by the picture of the Hurkling Stones in the book. It would probably be okay after a summer of heavy usage (by poor fools such as ourselves) and with a couple of spotters and pads (half the landings are great, half are just....odd). I did enjoy the Right Arete problem (easy V2) and Sick Arete looks good mmmm rounded 8m deathscrittle...

BenF

• forum hero
#4 Re: Hurkling Stones.
February 22, 2007, 03:39:44 pm
Thanks guys, I have now moved Hurkling Stones a little way down my list of places to visit.  As per your comments Fiend, I may go up on a coolish summer day when I just fancy doing something unusual and don't mind acheiving little.  I go running up round them there hills from time to time, so I may check the stones out prior to carting a pad or rope up there. 

dave

#5 Re: Hurkling Stones.
February 22, 2007, 05:14:39 pm
isn't there soem nice looking "old B6" slab at hurkling stones? OK i concur that doesn't make it the new burbage. or even the new carl wark.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#6 Re: Hurkling Stones.
February 22, 2007, 05:43:47 pm
I've had a couple of good days over the years doing the circuit from Cutthroat Bridge to Back Tor - yes it's a bit old skool but perhaps better than this thread makes out.

andy popp

• forum hero
#7 Re: Hurkling Stones.
February 22, 2007, 06:07:29 pm
I agree (as original developer of much of the Derwent Edge bouldering) with you FD - Bonner's judgement is much too harsh. Whilst few of the venues are individually significant (though even here I'd argue a case for the Dovestone's blocks, edge, stuff on top circuit) they can, together, provide a superb day out. They are also a genuine hot weather venue. There's a couple of good slabs at Hurkling Stones (Rock Ahoy to me), Jupiter Collision I remember as v. good at Coach and Horses, everything on the blocks below Dovestones (which would be popular if roadside) and nay scrittiness at all at Back Tor. I also did a goodish, hardish slab at Howshaw Tor (beneath Mitchell's E5) that should be called 'How Sure?'. All in all, to any one who likes long walks, superb views and some really interesting climbing, don't let this thread put you off. Just make sure you dont stop at the Hurkling Stones Ben.

saltbeef

• forum hero
#8 Re: Hurkling Stones.
February 22, 2007, 10:53:45 pm
walked up from the strines about a year or two ago, found some butresss with a massive flat landing, really fun highballs, a big roof crack and a traverse on really good pockets. good fun day with a picnic and some bumblies. agree hurkling stones is a bit chud, worth doing a few of them though. jupiter collison up the way is good though.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#9 Re: Hurkling Stones.
February 23, 2007, 10:12:31 am
 Agreed the Derwent edge circuit has its worth, the ratio of quality climbing to walking isn't high. The Woolpacks give a similar experience, would be brilliant if it wasn't for the scrittle.

If you really want to combine bogtrotting with bouldering though, go to the Grinah stones. They won't disappoint.

BenF

• forum hero
#10 Re: Hurkling Stones.
February 23, 2007, 12:15:47 pm
All in all, to any one who likes long walks, superb views and some really interesting climbing, don't let this thread put you off. Just make sure you dont stop at the Hurkling Stones Ben.

Don't worry, I'm not that put off by comments on this thread.  I'm still keen to check it all out and I certainly won't be stopping only at the Hurkling Stones, from the guide I figured there was some really interesting stuff further on.  But I may go running up there first, just to see what there is exactly.

If you really want to combine bogtrotting with bouldering though, go to the Grinah stones. They won't disappoint.

Another place I was discussing with a friend just last week.  He was keen to head up there, but was on about walking over from the Woodhead side...  I think this is mad and I reckon it's only 'cos he lives over that way.  Am I right? 

webbo

• forum hero
#11 Re: Hurkling Stones.
February 23, 2007, 12:44:19 pm
Another place I was discussing with a friend just last week.  He was keen to head up there, but was on about walking over from the Woodhead side...  I think this is mad and I reckon it's only 'cos he lives over that way.  Am I right? 

many years ago a friend suggested a similar outing in that we walk over to shining clough from glossop. we spent several hours getting lost in the mist and falling in to various streams and bogs.due to getting our jeans sopping wet and muddy we ended up walking in our undies.the few ramblers we encountered strangely did not stop to pass the time of day.
when we eventually found the crag we were so knackered we went straight down to the woodhead road and got the bus back to glossop.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#12 Re: Hurkling Stones.
February 23, 2007, 01:19:21 pm
Blimey. That's a bit mountaineering. As if the normal walk to Shining Muff isn't enough.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#13 Re: Hurkling Stones.
February 23, 2007, 01:50:09 pm
I agree (as original developer of much of the Derwent Edge bouldering) with you FD - Bonner's judgement is much too harsh.
On second reading I think you might be right. What I should have said is that the bouldering is ok, but might not justify the walk in of itself. If you fancy a pleasant walk in a lovely place anyway or you combine it with some routing it's well worth the effort.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#14 Re: Hurkling Stones.
February 23, 2007, 02:04:07 pm
He was keen to head up there, but was on about walking over from the Woodhead side...  I think this is mad and I reckon it's only 'cos he lives over that way.  Am I right?

3 main options: From Snake Pass summit - very long but flat, good path. From Woodhead - shorter but uphill and worse path. From Derwent Dam road - best if you know where you're going, shortest but road only open weekdays.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#15 Re: Hurkling Stones.
February 23, 2007, 02:08:47 pm
I wonder what mountain biking with a pad on would be like  :-\

webbo

• forum hero
#16 Re: Hurkling Stones.
February 23, 2007, 02:35:20 pm
I wonder what mountain biking with a pad on would be like  :-\

your worst nightmare.

i've been to derwent bouldering a couple of summers ago.didn't get as far as hurling stones as we walked from strines,it seemed abit like the walk to crookrise/simons seat i.e. not that far.
we started on miles problems using the topo that had been in one of the mags.we didn't have a lot of skin left when we moved on to the other bits what with it being summer.i do remember enjoying the problems though thinking they were worth the walk. 

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#17 Re: Hurkling Stones.
February 23, 2007, 02:50:06 pm
I wasn't meaning off road mountain biking, just getting past the shut gate at the weekend and carrying on to the end of the road, stashing bikes and pressing on to the Grinah stones on foot.

webbo

• forum hero
#18 Re: Hurkling Stones.
February 23, 2007, 02:57:36 pm
given that cycling at the minimum speed to stop you falling over will cause some wind resistance carrying a whopping great pad may lead to the first man powered flight of significant distance.

BenF

• forum hero
#19 Re: Hurkling Stones.
February 25, 2007, 10:51:29 am
3 main options: From Snake Pass summit - very long but flat, good path. From Woodhead - shorter but uphill and worse path. From Derwent Dam road - best if you know where you're going, shortest but road only open weekdays.

Good knowledge, thanks.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal