UKBouldering.com

Bouldering Trip (Read 2522 times)

account_inactive

• forum hero
Bouldering Trip
February 21, 2007, 10:19:58 am
Due to bad weather/fitness/motivation my climbing skills have been going to shit recently.  My last trip to Sardinia over Christmas was wet for 65% of the time and a short sport climbing trip to the south of Spain resulted in 4 days of rain out of 4.  All the big numbers seem to go down in Sheffield when I have to be away at work.

I feel like I'm trapped in a Travis song :boohoo:

I've managed to get off work from the next 2 weeks (just under) and am keen to get away from a wet Sheffield and spread my wings to keep up the motivation.

What I'd like to know from you guys is:

Where would you recommend (bouldering) that will be dry over this period?
Anyone get out during the week away from Sheffield?
Any cheap Euro destinations that will almost GUARANTEE big numbers and mint conditions

I know this is asking a bit too much..........................

Answers on a postcard

account_inactive

• forum hero
#1 Re: Bouldering Trip
February 21, 2007, 10:39:15 am
Just found flights to Valencia for £34 and car hire for £45.50 :jaw:

Will Albarracin be in condition?

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#2 Re: Bouldering Trip
February 21, 2007, 11:08:19 am
friends of mine were there ten days ago and were rained out, resolving to do traverses under roofs.
ive heard great things about albarracin, but my friend whos also been in font says theres no comparison.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#3 Re: Bouldering Trip
February 21, 2007, 11:25:01 am
...and...
maybe staying more centered in euro could turn better in case you have to drive away from bad weather to better places. if you stay for almost two weeks, a day drive is a kind of rest youe body may need, but deep in spain youll be away from many places.
just my 2p

when you leaving?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#4 Re: Bouldering Trip
February 21, 2007, 11:33:51 am
You probably don't want to hear this, but stop chasing your tail and enjoy the world class bouldering on your doorstep. There is but one rule with gritstone - you put the time in, you get rewarded.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#5 Re: Bouldering Trip
February 21, 2007, 11:35:00 am
Just checked tickets for 26/02 to either 02/03 or 04/03

I've checked the weather and its about 5 degrees at the moment with a good forcast.  The weather history shows good signs also.

The problem with mainland europe is the cost of a last minute ticket.........and that the girlfriend is off to Portugal from East Midlands means that it makes sense to leave at a similar time
 :-\

What's the weather like in your neck of the woods Nibile?

account_inactive

• forum hero
#6 Re: Bouldering Trip
February 21, 2007, 11:37:07 am
You probably don't want to hear this, but stop chasing your tail and enjoy the world class bouldering on your doorstep. There is but one rule with gritstone - you put the time in, you get rewarded.

I'm still waiting these mint conditions you promised :( 

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#7 Re: Bouldering Trip
February 21, 2007, 11:39:38 am
not predictable enough...
im planning a small trip as well, may leave this friday and still dunno where to go. weekend will be wet in cresciano. ill go wherever at reasonable driving distance...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#8 Re: Bouldering Trip
February 21, 2007, 12:36:24 pm
Lets face facts; Europe has weather, not climate. Nowhere in Europe can you be guaranteed good weather at this time of the year. If you want a guarantee of good weather, get a cheap last minute deal to Virginia or Alabama or something. Or stay local and fluid; make brief 3-4 day trips to wherever the weather is good; Yorks, Lakes, Wales etc.

What I would do anyway.

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
#9 Re: Bouldering Trip
February 21, 2007, 12:41:56 pm
What about Font last minute if the forecast looks decent, otherwise stay in the Peak/Yorkshire.  I've heard it's quite good.

Disclaimer: I heard it was quite good from Johnny Brown, so this info might be utter balderdash.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#10 Re: Bouldering Trip
February 21, 2007, 12:46:22 pm
Think I've convinced myself that Albarracin is a goer and then maybe shoot around to any dry bits in the UK as well :thumbsup:

Font would be cool, but very expensive last minute (unless you know different)

The Peak is my first choice, but I live 10 mins away from it and I've still only had 2 days of good conditions since November!  Some of this is bad luck, but mostly awful weather.  Roll on the Limestone season (did I just say that?)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#11 Re: Bouldering Trip
February 21, 2007, 04:25:39 pm
dylan mate....

go with the fluid UK road trip idea if i was you, perhaps a long weekend in font.... with a few days notice on here you'd get at least 1 or 2 to share the car / ferry i reckon.
 if you stay in the UK  you can be free as bird, if yr misus is going away just pootle off over the country following UK weather. you'll have an ace time:

nrthumberland, over to the bowderstone, down to wales, mtn and lime, even tremadog, back home for a wash, day trip to churnet...... god. sounds wkd!!

Dr T

• forum hero
#12 Re: Bouldering Trip
February 21, 2007, 04:29:41 pm
conditions down in portland were pretty good this weekend, some seepage on the more flow stony bits bit otherwise
no real big numbers but enough to keep you busy up to V8/9 (you could try tyler's project....  :o)
(plus the undergrowth isn't up to it's full summer glory yet...)

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#13 Re: Bouldering Trip
February 21, 2007, 09:27:49 pm
Its dry here mate. And you did say also guaranteed big numbers!  ;)

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#14 Re: Bouldering Trip
February 22, 2007, 03:40:16 pm
the weather became predictable here.
they predict itll be shit.
grrr im furious.
 >:(

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal