UKBouldering.com

Climbing in Holland (sigh) not expecting much... (Read 2775 times)

richdraws

• obsessive maniac
I know the netherlands closest thing to a mountain is some 300ft hillock but does anyone know of any bouldering or climbing in Holland?
I am pretty sure the answer is FUCK ALL, but a friend of mine is living there (without the aid of being able to speak the language too well) and would like to get out climbing.

There are certainly plenty of dutch climbers doing well at a high level, probably in the alps/font/frankenjura though  8)

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
i would sign to one of the many many gyms there, and just ask for weekend lifts to font.

try on www.bleau.info, its run by dutchmen.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I think there is f-all following conversations with various flatlanders.

Belgium has a few bits though.

richdraws

• obsessive maniac
Cheers lads, I will pass that info on.  :kiss2:

Alan James, Rockfax

• player
    • www.ukclimbing.com
There is no natural climbing of any kind in the Netherlands but they do have some excellent walls. The emphasis in the walls tends to be more for leading and ones built in the late 90s all tended to feature huge long main walls of 20m or so. The bouldering in the walls I went to at that time was crap but I suspect some of the newer ones will be focussing on better bouldering.

The list of walls is here - http://klimgids.climbing.nl/hallen.html . As you can see one of the stats they give is the height of the tallest bit of wall showing how important that is.

If you post on here in English - http://prikbord.climbing.nl/ - asking for which wall has the best bouldering, then you will get a friendly reply in English as well. It is a simple old-fashioned forum. Click on the word 'posten' at the end of the first sentence to post.

Alan

bigphil

• menacing presence
I imagine the nearest place is in Belgium, the Ardenne I think.  Limestone.  I had my first climbing experience in the Ardenne, climbing some route above a cave.  And there was a large slabby face to the left.  Such bad style you wouldn't believe but it was enough to get me hooked.

richdraws

• obsessive maniac
Thanks for the information. I didnt really expect much of a reply, so thankyou for exceeding my expectations  :thumbsup:

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
oh,
and never never talk about "holland": theyre "the netherlands"! ;)

richdraws

• obsessive maniac
Right you are Nibs but I wont be going anywhere near the place myself. ITS FONT FOR ME ALL THE WAY!!!! 5 DAYS TO HOLIDAYS  :beer2:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal