UKBouldering.com

Ilkley conditions (Read 3723 times)

richdraws

• obsessive maniac
Ilkley conditions
February 14, 2007, 07:16:38 pm
Looking for somewhere I havent visited in the Yorkshire Grit area to get my teeth into.

I read that a few areas are perma dry on other threads but...
Does anyone know how quickly Ilkley, particularly the rocky valley area, dries out?
Is it a good venue for this time of year?

Cheers

Rich :)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Ilkley conditions
February 15, 2007, 08:54:07 am
From what I've learned. Ilkley is a bit of a problem child. Even after a few days of rainless weather it can retain dampness in winter. Tried it once or twice as a break from the 'cliff but always ended up retreating to her bosom. She is a cruel but fair mistress. Not sure about whether any onf the other newly developed bits in the area are any better.

Rocky Valley is especially fickle, as it's is relatively sheltered. And a pain to walk in to only to be repelled.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#2 Re: Ilkley conditions
February 15, 2007, 12:56:28 pm
I was at Ilkley last Wednesday and it was in good nick. A beautiful cold, sunny day in fact. Didn't go down Rocky Valley though.

Ilkley is a very exposed crag and gets a lot of wind, consequently it is pretty fast drying.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#3 Re: Ilkley conditions
February 15, 2007, 01:15:05 pm
But often completely baltic.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#4 Re: Ilkley conditions
February 15, 2007, 01:20:39 pm
Tis a double edged sword, for sure. Having said that, although there were chunks of ice lying around on the floor (in the shade), the Calf was actually warm to the touch on its sunny side.

richdraws

• obsessive maniac
#5 Re: Ilkley conditions
February 15, 2007, 04:25:56 pm
Thanks for the knowledge, I tried Edlingham today instead but Ilkley is definitely NEXT! when I buy a new pair of boots that is.... :(

Cheers all

Rich

monkey boy

• forum hero
#6 Re: Ilkley conditions
February 15, 2007, 04:28:40 pm
Yeh you will definately want a few dry days before you go to Rocky Valley, the whole place retains wetness but there are some good lines there. Rest of Ilkley dries quite fast but can be bitterly cold. Calf eliminate face normally stays dry in the rain for a bit as well.

Hope that helps!

chappers

• forum hero
#7 Re: Ilkley conditions
February 15, 2007, 06:01:51 pm
went to ilkley Tuesday, ringpiece was wetter than a sopping chuff.
did the dyno ok. rest of the calf looked like you could climb.
didn't go in the quarry or down the rocky valley.

did go to almscliff and most things were dry. but some bloody cows have made a right state under daemon wall roof. the floor was awash with faeces and urine!!

and i managed to fall straight onto a sharp rock right in the coxics (incorrect spelling for bum-hole bone??). i thought that i had been penetrated!!   :'( still cant sit without pain now.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#8 Re: Ilkley conditions
February 15, 2007, 06:06:23 pm
bum-hole bone:  i thought that i had been penetrated!!   :'( still cant sit without pain now.

Not sure what you're talking about here  :-[ , but the word you're after is coccyx

cofe

• forum hero
#9 Re: Ilkley conditions
February 18, 2009, 04:18:05 pm
throw a brother a bone. anyone want to offer an opinion as to weather (sic) rocky valley will be ok tomorrow?

Stubbs

#10 Re: Ilkley conditions
February 18, 2009, 04:28:43 pm
Been drizzling all day in Leeds homes, and it looks like it's gonna shower tomorrow afternnon too. Sweet Dreams are not made of this...

stonemonkey

• regular
#11 Re: Ilkley conditions
March 01, 2009, 10:32:20 pm
the main face at Ilkley i.e. above gerty berty and new statesman is often green so it olds the  moisture, and ive often found loads and loads of bird shit towards the top

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal