UKBouldering.com

New NW venue (Read 5821 times)

andy popp

• forum hero
New NW venue
February 14, 2007, 03:44:01 pm
I've just found Pingham sat atop a large, nearly finished Bendcrete boulder in Victoria Park, Widnes (1.5 miles from Pex). Paul said unlike Montague St (sheff) this one was designed more for children and much less with climbers in mind. Still it has some steeper bits and it occurs to me it might make a good arm and finger friendly warm-up for Pex, esp in particularly cold conditions.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#1 Re: New NW venue
February 14, 2007, 03:48:58 pm
Nice one Andy. Looks like Widnes might be pumping out a high volume of the next generation of young boulderers then.

Mind you, given current form, I'm probably likely to be burnt off on the less steeper sections by said youngsters.

Stay tuned for another top secret NW venue also coming to fruition as we speak...

andy popp

• forum hero
#2 Re: New NW venue
February 14, 2007, 03:53:51 pm
I'm a fool
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 04:11:06 pm by andy popp, Reason: to remove traces of idiocy »

BenF

• forum hero
#3 Re: New NW venue
February 14, 2007, 04:28:38 pm
Stay tuned for another top secret NW venue also coming to fruition as we speak...

Shhhhhhhh.....

Monolith

• forum hero
#4 Re: New NW venue
February 14, 2007, 04:34:14 pm
I know, I know. My balls are bursting here and I didn't sleep last night. But in a brief moment of sleep this morning, I had a dream my girlfriend was in awe of my right leg exclaiming:

"God Tom! Your right leg is basically just pure tendon!"      -(it's not by the way)

Don't know why I found that so flattering in my dream, but I did.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#5 Re: New NW venue
February 14, 2007, 04:43:05 pm
I've just found Pingham sat atop a large, nearly finished Bendcrete boulder in Victoria Park, Widnes (1.5 miles from Pex). Paul said unlike Montague St (sheff) this one was designed more for children and much less with climbers in mind. Still it has some steeper bits and it occurs to me it might make a good arm and finger friendly warm-up for Pex, esp in particularly cold conditions.

Why not get Paul to shift it into Pex to provide the warm up...

BenF

• forum hero
#6 Re: New NW venue
February 14, 2007, 04:45:01 pm
Well, if we build you some kind of slab board (although I have absolutely no idea where we might build you a slab board!) you could live the dream and develop yourself a right leg that is just one mofo tendon.  You'd be the daddy of slabs with that beauty.

Monolith

• forum hero
#7 Re: New NW venue
February 14, 2007, 04:48:27 pm
I have no idea why a right calf muscle like a burnt octopus in salt is a fantasy of mine. Any psychoanalysists?

I love your dream of a mantle 'rink' Ben, I still piss myself laughing about the expression on your face when you described it!

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#8 Re: New NW venue
February 14, 2007, 04:52:38 pm
"God Tom! Your right leg is basically just pure tendon!"      -(it's not by the way)

Don't know why I found that so flattering in my dream, but I did.

You could have taken it as a complement about a drastic, lower body only weight-loss program that massively increased your overall power to weight ratio.

Or maybe not...

BenF

• forum hero
#9 Re: New NW venue
February 15, 2007, 11:16:38 am
I love your dream of a mantle 'rink' Ben, I still piss myself laughing about the expression on your face when you described it!

I'm glad I have that effect upon you Tom.  It's the future though... a full ring of mantel volume, right around the room with nothing but mantels and a loooong slopey traverse.  Way more use for me than a forty-five board.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#10 Re: New NW venue
February 15, 2007, 12:18:28 pm
Better still, a Mantel Pit

With the surface area of a room, but set into the ground. Perhaps with a slide for easy access. And no way out but to mantel, or run up one of the taller sides, to catch the slopey top, and then...mantel.

Ideally, there would be picnic tables/comfy seats all around the edges. Enjoy a beer, munch a pizza, laugh out loud at all the gurning faces, then laugh even louder as they slowly slip back down into the pit, energy drained, eyes bulging, complexions beetroot red...

Brilliant!

andy_e

• forum hero
#11 Re: New NW venue
February 15, 2007, 03:06:06 pm

With the surface area of a room, but set into the ground. Perhaps with a slide for easy access. And no way out but to mantel, or run up one of the taller sides, to catch the slopey top, and then...mantel.

Surely the slide would also provide easy exit too?

r-man

• forum hero
#12 Re: New NW venue
February 15, 2007, 03:21:46 pm
No. The slide stops at the edge of the mantel pit. You are ejected onto a crashmat. Or one of those tubs filled with plastic balls. They were great. Why do kids get all the fun?

In fact, the whole mantel pit is filled with balls.

And snakes. Got to have snakes.

Monolith

• forum hero
#13 Re: New NW venue
February 15, 2007, 05:48:05 pm

In fact, the whole mantel pit is filled with balls.

Ahhhh...Falling off becomes a thing of joy. Just look at the expression on that little laddy's face;
"Mummy, I fell off the last move of my V16 project". "Well look on the bright side Petey, you fell into a pit of balls."

r-man

• forum hero
#14 Re: New NW venue
February 15, 2007, 05:49:18 pm
 ;D

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#15 Re: New NW venue
February 15, 2007, 06:04:00 pm
Extra incentive on the mantel....

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#16 Re: New NW venue
February 16, 2007, 05:35:24 am

Ideally, there would be picnic tables/comfy seats all around the edges. Enjoy a beer, munch a pizza, laugh out loud at all the gurning faces, then laugh even louder as they slowly slip back down into the pit, energy drained, eyes bulging, complexions beetroot red...

You are a very sick individual but I like your style!!  ;)

bluebrad

BenF

• forum hero
#17 Re: New NW venue
February 16, 2007, 09:43:52 am
I cannot believe what I have started.  It was just a dream once...  a room filled with mantels.  But now it feels real.  Thank you everyone for seeing what could be done.

This is the best thread ever.  Keep the mantel pit ideas coming please.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#18 Re: New NW venue
February 16, 2007, 09:51:37 am
Have a mantle:

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#19 Re: New NW venue
February 16, 2007, 10:01:30 am
BenF, here's a nice article on Planet-I'm-So-Hardcore-It-Hurts:
http://www.planetfear.com/article_detail.asp?a_id=161
Interesting "mantel":

Monolith

• forum hero
#20 Re: New NW venue
February 16, 2007, 12:36:04 pm
I know if Ben had his way, there would be entire magazines dedicated to the art of Mantle: 'Mantler'.

Can't remember off hand what the name of that bulbous mantle at Pigeons Cave is, but it's one of my favourite grim tussles.

BenF

• forum hero
#21 Re: New NW venue
February 16, 2007, 03:07:56 pm
Have a mantle:

Ah ha, Beached Male (which sadly can be dynoed or lanked rather than pressed out), with Mantelblock just right of it.  Quality mantel fun all round. 

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#22 Re: New NW venue
February 24, 2007, 03:15:23 pm
Must go and check out the bendcrete thingy but I fear the scallys would object to the smell of my anasazis and give me stick. Where exactly in the park is it? I cant imagine it being in the nice gardens bit.

How long till the pockets have been filled with needles and broken glass?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#23 Re: New NW venue
February 25, 2007, 10:59:56 pm
Had a go on the steepest bit today on the way back from a driving "lesson" with the mother (she spent most of the time screaming). Dispatched easily in trainers so nothing too hard. Eliminates are required methinks.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal