UKBouldering.com

Bouldr - a New(ish) Bouldering Site (Read 15275 times)

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#75 Re: Bouldr - a New(ish) Bouldering Site
February 08, 2007, 09:37:14 pm
It does sound like a good move. Editing by all registered users is a good call. Inclusion of star and grade voting would be great, as would the option of mutiple images and videos.
 One thing i think should be high on your priority list is the navigation. Having labelled crags or being able to select crags from a drop down menu and then be able to click back and forward without defaulting to the home setting would make the site a lot more user friendly. I have spoken to people who have given up on the site due to frustration with the navigation.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#76 Re: Bouldr - a New(ish) Bouldering Site
February 08, 2007, 11:02:45 pm
Yep, I agree. Editing by registered users, or users who have posted 5 new problems maybe.

Also agree about crag selection - I know I went on about this earlier, but it really is the missing ingredient that would make this site properly useful.

I'd be keen to see that and the navigation sorted before you do anything else. Making the whole thing wiki based would be handy, but this is really just to for tweaking details. To get the site going you need to grow content, which means making it as user-friendly as possible, so my vote would be for better navigation and more powerful browsing options (continent: country: area: crag: drop down menus).

The peak at least is starting to flesh out, with some excellent photos. I can see myself spending a lot of time here, itching to go climbing...

Bouldr Matt

• Bouldr
#77 Re: Bouldr - a New(ish) Bouldering Site
February 09, 2007, 03:54:11 am
We're working on the broken back button problem at the moment, and we'll have a think about some form of location search / tree navigation system too.

Currently, we're looking at you are all using Bouldr, fixing any issues we find (I just deployed a version with a new image uploader and fixes for the line drawing issue some of you have seen), and getting our next steps organised. We have a big list of stuff to do on Bouldr, including some rather nifty features that I haven't seen anywhere else, so stay with us, and we might surprise you!

Thanks for taking the time to put these points to me, though - we're going to make Bouldr a massive success with feedback like this!

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#78 Re: Bouldr - a New(ish) Bouldering Site
February 12, 2007, 03:45:31 pm
Birkby has added some very fine Castle Hill stuff. Well worth a look.

r-man

• forum hero
#79 Re: Bouldr - a New(ish) Bouldering Site
February 19, 2007, 01:24:07 pm
Quote from: Bonjoy
Might be an idea to put links to topos in the descriptions on Bouldr.

Ideally Bouldr needs crag pages, where topos and other stuff could be linked to.

I've spoken to a few people who have given up on the site because they got fed up with the navigation. Would be great to see this revamped.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
Hows things going with the development side of the site?

Are people still offering submissions? I'll add some Merseyside shit this week.

Bouldr Matt

• Bouldr
Things are moving ahead very well - we're going to be adding a location browser in the near future, along with a few other nifty improvements (a whole load of work is going into the behind-the-scenes stuff, too).

We're still getting plenty of submissions, and as soon as the location browser is done, we're going to be starting a push on the marketing front. We're also really happy to say that r-man is going to be helping us out on this, so with any luck, Bouldr should begin gaining more momentum very soon!

r-man

• forum hero
Happy to be on board.

I met up with Matt the other day at the Works, and he's got big plans for Bouldr. If all goes well, Bouldr will be a really excellent resource. The future is round, the future is Bouldr shaped. Once he's got the location browsing sorted, I'm going to make use of my extensive climbing website knowledge (previously classed as time-wasting) and encourage more submissions from all four corners of the globe. (That phrase confuses me. Surely there are only three corners?) Anyway, we talked about a lot of really nifty features. This site is going to be a boulderer's dream.

...No, we aren't planning to include a Goose-themed problem name generator. It's not that sort of dream.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 05:22:11 pm by r-man »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal