UKBouldering.com

SNAP mats (Read 5752 times)

Big Frank

• forum abuser
SNAP mats
June 11, 2003, 03:04:24 pm
From what I've seen these could have the best foam on the market. But I've only ever seen one in a shop.

Anyone know much about them.

http://www.snapclimbing.com

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 SNAP mats
June 11, 2003, 03:11:36 pm
Seem like good pads, but from what I remember they're pretty expensive - got any prices?

Avoiding the Traitor

• forum abuser
#2 SNAP mats
June 11, 2003, 03:20:22 pm
Look very similar to my Cassin pad.

dave

#3 SNAP mats
June 11, 2003, 03:42:47 pm
They have got very hard foam, but I've heard more recent mats have softer foam.

One thing you need to be careful of with Snap mats it the thick vinyl waterproof base - its a great idea in theory, but just put that mat on a sloping damp grassy landing, mud, or on top of another mat and jump onto it and you're surfing USA. I think i would think twice about them for that reason alone, plus the foam is so thick and hard if you are not careful when it is new you could actually do your ankle hitting the edge of the mat! having said that they are built like a brick shithouse though so should last.

T.H.

• obsessive maniac
#4 SNAP mats
June 11, 2003, 05:03:36 pm
Ask James on this here site.

He knows Tony Simpson well, the homeboy responsible for getting Snap into this country.

cofe

• forum hero
#5 SNAP mats
June 11, 2003, 07:35:09 pm
heed dave's words man, the snap mats are proper spicy.  they're like Clark Grizwald's wok/sledge on national lampoon's christmas vacation - sparks and flames and shit flying off the back when you go careering down the hill.  they don't mix with british conditions, i.e. mud and grass  slopes.

foam is softer now, but not too soft, and the mats will probably last forever.  but when you're sketching high above one you do have a tendency to look for something less lethal to land on.  like a rock.  or a landmine.  or shark infested waters. or....

james

• obsessive maniac
#6 SNAP mats
June 11, 2003, 09:30:58 pm
Snap mats are great and the new generation is even better.  The shiny bottom has been replaced with sticky textured rubber and is about 100 times better.  I have not slipped on my new one.
As far as I know, the foam hasn't changed.  It is by far the best foam on the market.  It is tough and does not break down.  Used my old one 3+ days a week for 1 & 1/2 years and still as good as when I first bought it.
The reason it is so good is because it is expensive.  If you wanted to buy the foam, the hard layer would cost you £27 per metre square and the soft layer would cost about £15. (Compare that with the shite in metolious that costs about £10 for the hard layer)
One thing to note, the hard foam in the extra large mat is a few mm thinner than in the normal mat.  This is to save on weight but it means it is a little softer, it is still much harder than other makes :lol: .  I try to avoid falling onto any other pads, its just to risky :lol: .
Cheers

James

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#7 SNAP mats
June 12, 2003, 10:43:37 am
Nice hard sell James.

In my limited experience, they don't hurt to land on.

dave

#8 SNAP mats
June 12, 2003, 10:49:36 am
Dunno about anyone else, but i can't think about Snap without thinking "I'm as serious as cancer when i say Rhythm is a Dancer".

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#9 SNAP mats
June 12, 2003, 10:51:16 am
Every time I go to the gym they've got a tape with Rhythm is a Dancer on it  - it's starting to get me down.

dave

#10 SNAP mats
June 12, 2003, 10:59:17 am
Think yourslef lucky its not "The Power".

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#11 SNAP mats
June 12, 2003, 11:04:26 am
Confession: I actually bought "The Power" when it came out - I didn't know any better at the time, honest.....

dave

#12 SNAP mats
June 12, 2003, 11:20:51 am
"Quality I possess some say I'm fresh
When my voice goes through the mesh
Of the microphone that I am holdin'
Copywritten lyrics so they can't be stolen
If they are snap
Don't need the police to try to save them
Your voice will sink, so please stay off my back
Or I will attack and you don't want that!"

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#13 SNAP mats
June 12, 2003, 11:27:41 am
Shit, that is truly awful.

Remember 2Unlimited's classic "techno techno techno techno" line, that ruined the public's perception of techno forever (probably not such a bad thing, but as if techno is shite euro-pap!! Purleez!)?

Anyway, a music journalist actually took the trouble of tracking down where they lived, going round to the house and giving them a torrent of abuse on the matter, and this was about 5 years after the choon was out. Respeck to that journo.

dave

#14 SNAP mats
June 12, 2003, 11:37:38 am
Hey hey hey, less dissing, i've got that album.

Now if you please, I'm off to get a flat-top and my name shaved into the back of it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal