UKBouldering.com

Special Edition? (Read 1800 times)

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
Special Edition?
December 18, 2006, 04:59:36 pm
I'm confused. It seems as though almost every major label release is now Special Edition. Indeed there are some releases which you can't get in non-special edition. There are also some albums which are released at exactly the same time, and in a given store, the price of the special edition is equal to the non-special, although both versions are supplied in equal quantities. I'm lost by it to be honest.

Surely 'Special Edition' denotes that some day, the item will be worth something. Has the traditional meaning of 'special edition' changed here or am I missing something?

underground

• forum hero
#1 Re: Special Edition?
December 18, 2006, 07:50:49 pm
It's probably a similar phenomenon to the one in which supermarkets refer to 'good food' and 'real food' and how 'special' T**co's are for 'supporting British apple growers'

when the reality is anything but special, unless you're the profiteer behind all the bullshit.... :furious:

Dr T

• forum hero
#2 Re: Special Edition?
December 18, 2006, 08:13:02 pm
that said I remember a pub that offered luke warm beer and modrately good home cooking
nice place, beer was cold and the cooking good, the reverse psychology worked a charm

as for Mono's point I think it's lowest common denominator marketing
it's after the "oww it's special edition, must mean it's good, must buy it" mentality

It's like having regular large or extra large drinks at fast food joints, what wrong with a small cup of something?
oh right I forgot no-one will buy a small cup....

so I agree with the sentiment of  :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious:

underground

• forum hero
#3 Re: Special Edition?
December 18, 2006, 09:23:48 pm
Yeah, maybe I laboured the supermarket analogy too much, I agree with Dr T.

There's a pub called the Quiet Woman in Earl Sterndale, serves a fine pint of bitter which is referred to at the bar as a pint of 'Warm and Cloudy'..... :beer2:

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#4 Re: Special Edition?
December 18, 2006, 09:41:43 pm
Good pub sign at The Quiet Woman...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5 Re: Special Edition?
December 19, 2006, 08:14:27 am
Special editions normally have a live CD or DVD or something thrown in. I reckon it's to encourage people to buy the CD rather than just download it, as ios common these days. Don't think it's meant to be worth any more or rare or anything. Also some bands have single that was not on the previous album, so rather than go to the effort of producing a whole new album, the single gets tagged on the previous album and it gets rereleased in order to boost sales. which is all well and good, unless it's a band you like and bought the CD as soon as it came out, so you miss out on the exra track. But that's how loyalty gets rewarded. Not that I'm bitter or anthing.

I noticed in the albums chart last week that 8 out the top 10 albums were greatest hits compilations.

"Cashing on on Christmas............

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#6 Re: Special Edition?
December 20, 2006, 07:50:04 pm
In work, I could only find special editions of the sugababes, girls aloud and U2. The U2 one was most perplexing as there's a special and a non special edition. Both have the same tracks though?

As you say Chris, these best of's are becoming a nightmare. Can that many people really want to listen to a 3rd best of 10cc?! (Incidentally, I was told the other day that 10cc has something to do with that being the amount of fluid in an average ejaculation. Can anyone confirm/elaborate on this?)

The best of the Corrs as well...... :furious:

Dr T

• forum hero
#7 Re: Special Edition?
December 20, 2006, 09:50:41 pm
The best of the Corrs
bet that's a f#cking short album......

SA Chris

• forum hero
#8 Re: Special Edition?
December 21, 2006, 09:07:06 am
In work, I could only find special editions of the sugababes, girls aloud and U2. The U2 one was most perplexing as there's a special and a non special edition. Both have the same tracks though?

As you say Chris, these best of's are becoming a nightmare. Can that many people really want to listen to a 3rd best of 10cc?! (Incidentally, I was told the other day that 10cc has something to do with that being the amount of fluid in an average ejaculation. Can anyone confirm/elaborate on this?)

The special edition may have a DVD with all the tracks on as well?

10cc apparently comes from the size of an average spuffblob, yes. See also Lovin' Spoonful (Band from the 60s/70s?)

It's interesing to note of U2s last 5 releases, 3 are compilations. Talk about selling out.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#9 Re: Special Edition?
December 21, 2006, 04:20:44 pm
I think you will find the average is actually 9cc so to make themselves out to be just that little bit more manly than the rest they went for 10cc.

bluebrad

SA Chris

• forum hero
#10 Re: Special Edition?
December 21, 2006, 04:29:22 pm
As you speak with authority, you clearly have more experience in this field than I do, so I will bow to your better judgement.

Paz

• junky
#11 Re: Special Edition?
December 21, 2006, 05:55:04 pm
The special editions, and limited editions are shinier, with plenty of that embossed metallic font.  That does it for me. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal