UKBouldering.com

One for the surfers (Read 715597 times)

curly ben

• addict
#1475 Re: One for the surfers
September 29, 2010, 02:02:02 pm
haha... im not sure sounding like Machado is a good thing.  Im certainly at the other end of the spectrum on the style? front as well.  :(

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#1476 Re: One for the surfers
September 29, 2010, 11:10:17 pm
;D :beer2: Time zips by! Just got back a few of weeks a go. The locum /surf travel dream had to end at some point. I very nearly got sucked into the
 vortex of jungle surf where weeks simply drift by. A dangerous however quite pleasurable path to have trodden... ( for a time)..

Fat doc i have noted your frequency of posts on this 'surfer' forum :), tell me your surfing regularly...... beer? surf weekend up north?
 How are tricks at ches vegas?

no fuckin idea what you & chris have just communicated in the last few posts ben!!

I'm a middle aged sponger, shite and proud  ;D

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1477 Re: One for the surfers
September 30, 2010, 10:40:51 am

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1478 Re: One for the surfers
September 30, 2010, 10:47:41 am
I would fill my pants. Both ways.

granticus

• forum abuser
#1479 Re: One for the surfers
September 30, 2010, 12:30:35 pm
I'm a middle aged sponger, shite and proud
:lol:  Brilliant!  The only way is up... Step 1)Middle aged sponger that charges Step 2) Middle aged sponger does drop knee 3) Middle age sponger realises standing up is much more fun.....

Just one thing, in the meantime, would you, PLEASE, get out the fecking way.  :P

chris j

• forum abuser
#1480 Re: One for the surfers
October 02, 2010, 07:08:39 pm
First time out on the surfboard in a long, long time today. Morning session at Putsborough, 4ftish, pretty clean. Probably caught more waves today than in all the last 5 years  :) Even managed to stand up on one or two. Memo to self though, must put more wax on the board...

Looking good for tomorrow too  :bounce:

Just wanted to share...  ;D

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1481 Re: One for the surfers
October 02, 2010, 07:23:07 pm
Waking over to Baggy for a few routes at low tide, then catching Puts on the push used to be one of my favourite days out.

granticus

• forum abuser
#1482 Re: One for the surfers
October 03, 2010, 09:48:34 pm
First time out on the surfboard in a long, long time today. Morning session at Putsborough, 4ftish, pretty clean. Probably caught more waves today than in all the last 5 years   Even managed to stand up on one or two. Memo to self though, must put more wax on the board...

Yep it was certainly pumping Saturday if you could find shelter from the Southerlies, P-Land wasn't the only place firing on Saturday either. :great:   Shame the wind ruined things today...

And the charts for the foreseeable are :jaw:

Love midweek mornings after 9am in the autumn/ winter; No weekend warriors, the dawn patrollers have gone to work, have a go hero tourists have gone home, the roads are quiet, water's still warm ish and the swells keep coming... best time of year!!

philo

• forum hero
#1483 Re: One for the surfers
October 04, 2010, 02:51:02 am
i agree with that, although theres a certain satisfaction sitting on your board waiting for the sets to come in when its 6.30 and your the only person anywhere near the beach

edit:

on beach breaks has anyone had any issues with fisherman?  Couple milling about near the rocky side of tynemouth the other day with at least a dozen in the water.  Must scare the fish away so they cant be happy really.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 02:56:28 am by philo »

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1484 Re: One for the surfers
October 04, 2010, 09:00:07 am
There have been a few fishing at Banff in the past when we have gone in. They were really friendly though, and not at all bothered about us scaring the fish away. Even offered to look after car keys for us. Just chatted to them to get an idea of where they were casting and stayed out the way of their lines. They offered to move up the beach a bit, but wern't cating onto the main peak anyway.

Managed to get a great hour in just before dark yesterday. Only one other person in the water, the wind had dropped completely and there were some nice longboard waves coming in. Got about half a dozen great rights in before it got too dark, then just sat out the back for a bit just feeling the swells and looking at Aberdeen lit up against the night sky. Then got a bit paranoid and rode a wave back to shore.

ben

• obsessive maniac
#1485 Re: One for the surfers
October 04, 2010, 09:11:43 am
If you're gonna jump on a flight, Ireland's gotta be a good call for the weekend.  France is looking OK but will be heaving due to the Quickpro...

Not just heaving with people, have you seen some of the footage from the Quiky?  even Slater was struggling to get out back. Absolutely macking, I'd have been firmly enscounced in the cafe de la plage I think..

nice waves at a sheltered spot here Saturday, air temperature cooling but the sea still lovely in a summer suit

chris j

• forum abuser
#1486 Re: One for the surfers
October 04, 2010, 03:46:20 pm
And the charts for the foreseeable are :jaw:

Love midweek mornings after 9am in the autumn/ winter; No weekend warriors, the dawn patrollers have gone to work, have a go hero tourists have gone home, the roads are quiet, water's still warm ish and the swells keep coming... best time of year!!

Tuesday looks a little big & scary for me but somewhere sheltered for Weds and then Thurs looks mellow  :)

Got to agree, best time of year for hitting the beaches, no crowds, easy parking, warm water...

curly ben

• addict
#1487 Re: One for the surfers
October 04, 2010, 07:29:48 pm
Any good recommendations for winter suits then- to go fixed hood or not?
 Any personal recommendations much appreciated.
Reality is im looking at long weekends- ireland, scotland and europe/morocco (reckon my 3/2 will cover me for the warmer climes)-
really just chasing good waves as a weekend warrior quick hits with cheap/late flights...... man im missing living next to the beach :(

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1488 Re: One for the surfers
October 04, 2010, 07:34:19 pm
I've got an XCEL Infiniti O Zip (got on sale, can't afford full whack!) which I wear together with a XCEL hooded polypro rash vest on really cold days.

Keeps me toasty even when air temp is hanging around zero. Nice and flexible too.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1489 Re: One for the surfers
October 04, 2010, 07:58:55 pm
Anyone tried the Patagucci ones yet? Spiel sounds impressive...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1490 Re: One for the surfers
October 04, 2010, 08:40:22 pm
Couple of blokes on MSW forum have got them and rave about them, but at the price you would hope they be good. I would love to get one, but with an "unconventional" body shape, would be loathe to shell out £400 buying something on the tinterweb I haven't actually tried on.

granticus

• forum abuser
#1491 Re: One for the surfers
October 04, 2010, 10:14:25 pm
Got a reduced price kwiksliva ignite 6/5 during the summer built in hood chest zip jobbiee for when it gets baltic, I always buy outta season to get a bargain.  Alas_ I have yet to test this out but it looks nice and doesn't smell of piss (yet).
Like climbing shoes, I reckon wetsuits are pretty much of muchness, pay for quality and you'll get quality infact anything high range from the main manufacturers will perform.  Fit is important and finding the brand that fits you (unless you're buying a measured to fit such as SNUGG) is half the battle.
£400  :o  Sod that, you could by a new board for that, paying more for a wetsuit than you do for a board has to be a wrong un??!

curly ben

• addict
#1492 Re: One for the surfers
October 04, 2010, 11:25:14 pm
Anyone tried the Patagucci ones yet? Spiel sounds impressive...

oooh they do look nice...... i had a fondle down at the patagonia store in Torquay. The merino wool lining tripped me out  abit. i could not get round the thought of an itchy school jumper! That said.. lovely idea, nature often does stuff best.
 but a little outta my budget at the mo.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1493 Re: One for the surfers
October 05, 2010, 08:53:12 am
£400  :o  Sod that, you could by a new board for that, paying more for a wetsuit than you do for a board has to be a wrong un??!

I hear what you are saying, but depends how long it lasts and how well it performs? If you can get all the warmth without the extra weigth and still have the flexibility it's got to be pretty valuable.

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
#1494 Re: One for the surfers
October 05, 2010, 10:27:08 am

I hear what you are saying, but depends how long it lasts and how well it performs? If you can get all the warmth without the extra weigth and still have the flexibility it's got to be pretty valuable.

plus don't they have the "cast iron guarantee" like the rest of their stuff? Send it back 18 months down the line when you've ragged a seam and get a brand new one. . .

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1495 Re: One for the surfers
October 05, 2010, 11:09:50 am

It also partly depends one where you live and surf throughout the winter months  :)

I've got an Excel Infiniti Hooded Drylock 5:4 that's toasty warm. That said, (and before GME and Dave get it in ) I've turned into a right fair weather surfer and rarely venture into the water unless I'm in boardshorts and sunscreen.  :-[

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1496 Re: One for the surfers
October 05, 2010, 11:41:43 am
Curly Ben, you didn't say if you want the Miki Dora book back. I can either post it back to you or pass it on to any other UKBers who want to read it?

Paul B

• forum hero
#1497 Re: One for the surfers
October 05, 2010, 11:46:42 am
Didn't know if this might interest some of you.

52-camera rig setup catches surfing moments http://cot.ag/c5QAAq

Durbs

• forum hero
#1498 Re: One for the surfers
October 05, 2010, 11:50:53 am

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1499 Re: One for the surfers
October 05, 2010, 12:03:06 pm
Also - Boston Globe have this today:
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/10/waveriders.html

Great set of images, the dog in pic 22 looks very unhappy, I know that feeling sometimes.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal