UKBouldering.com

One for the surfers (Read 715557 times)

chris05

• forum abuser
#1450 Re: One for the surfers
September 24, 2010, 08:45:12 am
I'm probably heading down to pembroke tonight based on the promise of long period small waves. Its a 41/2 hour trip from here so want to get it right. Msw is suggesting 3ft at 15 secs, anyone care to take a guess whether this will be genuine 3ft or should I apply the usual msw conversion for wave height/stars?

It looks as though I'd be better heading to Croyde or somewhere nearby but I'm put off by stories of packed waves.

I'm guessing lots of people will say go and find out but would appreciate any local (or not) knowledge. I dont mind it being small but would like some reasonably clean waves (who wouldn't I know).

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1451 Re: One for the surfers
September 24, 2010, 08:53:48 am
Don't know the breaks well enough to be certain, but it looks likely you will get something at Fresh W or  Newgale, may not be what you want though. N Devon only looks marginally better. Can't give any better advice than suck it and see, I'm afraid.

Stick ropes and mat in just in case.

gme

• forum hero
#1452 Re: One for the surfers
September 24, 2010, 09:06:36 am
Big swells on the east coast but with north winds.

There will still be spots where you can get a good wave though to save you the trek down to Pembroke. South Bay and filey will be cleanish and worth a paddle.

Lots of other spots as well all up the coast just get out a map and look for anywhere facing SE, the swell is more than big enough to wrap into most sheltered bays.

I love the east coast when its like this.

chris05

• forum abuser
#1453 Re: One for the surfers
September 24, 2010, 09:21:35 am
Cheers for the info guys, guess I'll wait until the last minute to make the call.

By the way gme the boards great, its taken no time at all to get used to, well pleased. I did pm you but think it was just before the site crash.

gme

• forum hero
#1454 Re: One for the surfers
September 24, 2010, 09:41:11 am
Glad to here it. I thought it would be good for you as its a great board, short but with a good bit of width and thickness where its needed to get you into waves.

granticus

• forum abuser
#1455 Re: One for the surfers
September 24, 2010, 10:07:47 am
It looks as though I'd be better heading to Croyde or somewhere nearby but I'm put off by stories of packed waves.

Too much north in the wind today for Croyde to be any good, if you were to head down this way you'll be better off heading to the south coast where the wind'll be offshore.  Not much shelter from north winds on the north coast, a little bit of protection at Saunton and Polzeath. 

Croyde can get very busy, particularly at weekends when warriors and stuntmen arrive from all over.  The standard of surfing is very high and the regulars are very 'competitive'.  So it can be a game of patience for newbies and visitors to get a wave off the pack (who take off late and deep).  However, at low-tide Croyde can be an epic beach break with heaps of power and barrels (this can be very dangerous, scarey and intimidating if you're not used to it).  You could get the wave of your life or you could get the flogging of your life. Usual rules apply DON'T drop in (always check over your shoulder), show respect, don't snake and all will be fine.

I will be mostly walking into a rarely ridden right hand point break that should be turning on the magic and high tide this evening. Fingers crossed we don't get skunked :bounce:

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1456 Re: One for the surfers
September 24, 2010, 12:25:14 pm
I've never actually surfed Croyde (actually I think I did once, but it was v late on a weekday). Other beaches in the area better suited to non-experts IMO>

philo

• forum hero
#1457 Re: One for the surfers
September 24, 2010, 03:03:52 pm
just got back from a blowout of white water and ridiculous northern winds.  It was at best unsurfable and dangerous.  Couple of hidden spots ill check tonight, tomorrow on the other hand... everything is in the pipe to be somewhat clean

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1458 Re: One for the surfers
September 24, 2010, 03:11:36 pm
N Sea is looking lively for sure, standby in holding position, keep watching the wind. Swoop when the time is right.

Baron

• obsessive maniac
#1459 Re: One for the surfers
September 24, 2010, 07:04:42 pm
Anyone surfed Bridlington? Visiting folks in NE Lincs tmr and looking to find nearest place with some shelter from wind/swell.

Am I better off just heading straight to Filey?

gme

• forum hero
#1460 Re: One for the surfers
September 24, 2010, 08:38:24 pm
Probes.
Where you heading. I am off to a certain,black, spot in river mouth up north that loves this swell  Don't know where your based.
In a blue bilbo transporter.
Always cool to hook up.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1461 Re: One for the surfers
September 24, 2010, 09:14:49 pm
Anyone surfed Bridlington? Visiting folks in NE Lincs tmr and looking to find nearest place with some shelter from wind/swell.

Never been, but I would have thought Bridlington would have been a bit too sheltered. Faces South doesn't it? This isn't deep groundswell, so doubt it will do much wrapping around.

I think.

gme

• forum hero
#1462 Re: One for the surfers
September 24, 2010, 09:44:47 pm
My post was meant for philo not probes. I am fucking useless at this chat room shite.

philo

• forum hero
#1463 Re: One for the surfers
September 25, 2010, 06:35:22 pm
My post was meant for philo not probes. I am fucking useless at this chat room shite.

Northern winds again destroyed today, went in at sland pier for an hour but it was again a wash out.  im thinking low tide when the wind dies might create something cleaner. 

Was thinking slightly further south with another pier and harbour in mind for tomorrow but ill see what happens.  im based in sunderland and tomorrow im going to look for more sheltered spots.  Whats your plans gme

gme

• forum hero
#1464 Re: One for the surfers
September 25, 2010, 07:06:44 pm
philo.
Great session at middens this morning. head high and A little bigger on sets. Hard work as usual paddling against an outgoing tide and a river.
Then got a nice beach session at seaton point up north. Usually a heap of crap wave but always gives out on storm swells like this and I can see it from my house so no driving. 
Good day allround.
Family stuff tomorrow so probably not surf. Winds look shit with a bit of east in them.
Monday potentially better. 

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#1465 Re: One for the surfers
September 27, 2010, 10:01:26 am

Was thinking that was a bit too stranger friendly? :-)

curly ben

• addict
#1466 Re: One for the surfers
September 28, 2010, 01:49:12 pm
Any good punts for the weekend? considering jumping on a cheap'ish' flight on friday evening.
 Back from three years in Aus and despite being a british national yet to surf over here! Any recommendations for a weekend hit?
 im going nuts in London

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1467 Re: One for the surfers
September 28, 2010, 02:27:22 pm
There's a blast from the past. Can't believe it's 3 years already. I still got your Miki Dora book, do you want it back?

SW looks good. Putsborough would be where I put my money for a weekend blast from London.

Hope you got a useable wetsuit.

curly ben

• addict
#1468 Re: One for the surfers
September 28, 2010, 09:46:58 pm
 ;D hahha.... no worries. yep i need to get hold of something warm eh. not sure my aussie 3x2 will cut it. In fact im not sure i can cut it.
was thinking about Ireland.....MSW has lots of stars. Its all i have got at the mo in the way of knowledge :-[

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#1469 Re: One for the surfers
September 28, 2010, 10:46:53 pm
3 years!!!

bloody hell mate  :hug:

good to hear from you  :thumbsup:

curly ben

• addict
#1470 Re: One for the surfers
September 29, 2010, 08:52:19 am
 ;D :beer2: Time zips by! Just got back a few of weeks a go. The locum /surf travel dream had to end at some point. I very nearly got sucked into the
 vortex of jungle surf where weeks simply drift by. A dangerous however quite pleasurable path to have trodden... ( for a time)..

Fat doc i have noted your frequency of posts on this 'surfer' forum :), tell me your surfing regularly...... beer? surf weekend up north?
 How are tricks at ches vegas?

curly ben

• addict
#1471 Re: One for the surfers
September 29, 2010, 08:53:14 am
God i sound like Machado

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1472 Re: One for the surfers
September 29, 2010, 09:20:10 am
God i sound like Machado

You wish.

I thought you were after a weekend hit. If you got time on your hands head for County Claire.

granticus

• forum abuser
#1473 Re: One for the surfers
September 29, 2010, 10:54:03 am
Any good punts for the weekend? considering jumping on a cheap'ish' flight on friday evening.
 Back from three years in Aus and despite being a british national yet to surf over here! Any recommendations for a weekend hit?
 im going nuts in London

Your local spot would be The Witterings...  Should be classic this weekend :whistle:

If you're gonna jump on a flight, Ireland's gotta be a good call for the weekend.  France is looking OK but will be heaving due to the Quickpro...

SW UK will be OK but looks like you will need to seek shelter from the wind which is gonna be shifting around Southerly SouthWesterly all weekend.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1474 Re: One for the surfers
September 29, 2010, 12:08:34 pm
France is looking OK but will be heaving due to the Quickpro...

The whole country? Never realised they were that popular ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal