UKBouldering.com

One for the surfers (Read 721522 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1425 Re: One for the surfers
September 22, 2010, 07:37:28 pm
T'was nothing, I wrote the UKB Wiki page to save having to type the same thing each time someone was having trouble posting pictures.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1426 Re: One for the surfers
September 22, 2010, 09:23:03 pm
Great film - Just show's how good UK surfing can get when it's on.

Gav - Any pics of you on the Flickr stream?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#1427 Re: One for the surfers
September 22, 2010, 09:48:49 pm
Some bean spillage on Vimeo

ET managing to get through those two lips at the end is pretty impressive.

this looks amazin

give some climbing context here... is this what.. E5 onsight? E8 ??

bolted 8b redpoint or on sight??

I have no idea.. but, damn.. that was cool!

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1428 Re: One for the surfers
September 22, 2010, 10:10:19 pm
The guys in the vid are all good surfers and have some form of basic sponsorship, photo's in mags etc or another.  They can surf and have also surfed much more impressive and demanding conditions...

Difficult to make a comparison with climbing as the two don't really match up and it depends what you do on the wave once you're on it, but, when you surf outside of England you regularly see surfing to this standard regularly and the surfers in question are rarely sponsored.

It depends on where you put yourself and what you do with the wave rather than the wave itself - that's why you can't grade surfing thank god.

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#1429 Re: One for the surfers
September 23, 2010, 11:03:46 am

Hey Chris do you know where this is exactly?, unless it says on the vid but im watchin it wit no sound. Im thinking shitty water so not to far north.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#1430 Re: One for the surfers
September 23, 2010, 11:19:39 am

Hey Chris do you know where this is exactly?, unless it says on the vid but im watchin it wit no sound. Im thinking shitty water so not to far north.

Its 'Cookie Monsters' but i assume its a heavily guarded secret!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1431 Re: One for the surfers
September 23, 2010, 11:50:44 am
Aye, I think mum is the operative word there. I don't know, but think gme might. PM him with a good bribe and he might just tell you.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1432 Re: One for the surfers
September 23, 2010, 11:59:31 am
It's in Yorkshire...

gme

• forum hero
#1433 Re: One for the surfers
September 23, 2010, 12:01:43 pm
This has caused an absolute shit storm in the last 48 hrs, the locals (non of which are in the vid) are totally fucked off with the producer of the video. Even one of the surfers in it isnt happy. i have had loads of emails and texts trying to get as many people as possible complaining to carve about it.

Despite it being the worst kept secret in the world its still a secret spot and does not feature in any guides. So if you know where it is keep it to your self.

Re the link i posted, i would be greatful if it does not go further than this forum and, again if anyone knows me and can therfore identify where the pics are taken please keep it to themselves. i shouldnt really have posted them and kind of regret doing so now.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1434 Re: One for the surfers
September 23, 2010, 12:02:30 pm
It's in Yorkshire...

No shit

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1435 Re: One for the surfers
September 23, 2010, 12:05:43 pm
i have had loads of emails and texts trying to get as many people as possible complaining to carve about it.

Hardly the first time Carve have fucked people off with cats getting out of bags. Managed to do it in ireland, Scotland and Wales already IIRC.

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#1436 Re: One for the surfers
September 23, 2010, 12:14:04 pm
This has caused an absolute shit storm in the last 48 hrs, the locals (non of which are in the vid) are totally fucked off with the producer of the video. Even one of the surfers in it isnt happy. i have had loads of emails and texts trying to get as many people as possible complaining to carve about it.

Despite it being the worst kept secret in the world its still a secret spot and does not feature in any guides. So if you know where it is keep it to your self.

Re the link i posted, i would be greatful if it does not go further than this forum and, again if anyone knows me and can therfore identify where the pics are taken please keep it to themselves. i shouldnt really have posted them and kind of regret doing so now.

Locals, fuck em, surfings now pretty much fucked anyway, half the residents of greater london have got boards on there roof. Ive got a really good local crag thats got some good problems on it, theres no way id want to try and stop anyone experiencing it. Selfish bastards is what they are.
Anyway when a place like that is ripping your pretty unlikely to get joe bloggs rocking up for take off, he'd get splattered.

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#1437 Re: One for the surfers
September 23, 2010, 12:49:52 pm
Sorry gme, just re read thats not suppose to be a rant at you, just a the old local attitude in general. Having been on the receiving end of some localism it hits a nerve with me everytime.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1438 Re: One for the surfers
September 23, 2010, 01:02:14 pm
Ive got a really good local crag thats got some good problems on it, theres no way id want to try and stop anyone experiencing it. Selfish bastards is what they are.

Crags accessible 180 days a year compared to breaks that work like that maybe 3 or 4 days a year do not equate. I can see why people get fucked off.
Magazines have little to gain in the long term by publishing things like this other than selling a few more copies of that current issue.

There is dickheadish chestbeating "I am a local this is my wave" localism and then there is justified, "I have waited for this day all year and don't want too big a crowd " localism. Two ends of the scale.

gme

• forum hero
#1439 Re: One for the surfers
September 23, 2010, 01:03:19 pm
i am not getting involved in this again. Read a few pages back for my stance

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#1440 Re: One for the surfers
September 23, 2010, 01:24:57 pm
Yeh i appreciate what your saying Chris, there's the local nobs and the local good guys, but it still doesnt cut. Eg. I was trying a certain traverse local to me, and you only get really good conditions once a month tops, especially when you have to fit it around job etc. So i been training and trying for this thing for over a year, i rock up, dry wind from the north, suns out, low humidity, perfect, only happens 4 or 5 times a year. Place is fucking packed, and now ive got to climb past people, put up with distractions, people laughing etc etc.. its same thing, buts its my problem not their's.
Anyway, i guess this subject has been bashed to death n is tiresome  :yawn: so ..

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#1441 Re: One for the surfers
September 23, 2010, 01:35:19 pm
Ive got a really good local crag thats got some good problems on it, theres no way id want to try and stop anyone experiencing it. Selfish bastards is what they are.

Crags accessible 180 days a year compared to breaks that work like that maybe 3 or 4 days a year do not equate. I can see why people get fucked off.
Magazines have little to gain in the long term by publishing things like this other than selling a few more copies of that current issue.

There is dickheadish chestbeating "I am a local this is my wave" localism and then there is justified, "I have waited for this day all year and don't want too big a crowd " localism. Two ends of the scale.

Ok, soooo... if it  only works 6 times a year... shurly only the locals /  those able anable that can get there (and one would presume not fuck up the line up as they would know they are in a special place with equally minded souls) would go?

I and a vast army of punter just wouldnt / couldnt go?

I dont quite get the *crowds are anathama for surfing to be any good* concept. there again I just like flailing around on a sponge so what do i know? I presume that puts me right down at the bottom of the pecking order.. which is wierd.. as from my very limited experience spongers have a high sucess rate in catching a wave they go for.

It's all new to me, but in the UK with it's over population I find it hard to believe there are few regularly breaking secret spots  :shrug:

may as well get em all out in the open, to dilute the other breaks if crowding out the back is a national problem  :shrug:

there again, if i knew of such a place... i'd perhaps have a different view :-[

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#1442 Re: One for the surfers
September 23, 2010, 02:49:16 pm

Indeed, a certain landmark in the background of one is a big give away. Might want to take that one down.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1443 Re: One for the surfers
September 23, 2010, 02:58:18 pm
I wish i had taken gme's stance

I am not getting involved in this again

I understand why it happens but don't necessarily agree with it. Like many things in life unless you are in the exact situation you can't really appreciate it.

philo

• forum hero
#1444 Re: One for the surfers
September 23, 2010, 06:03:32 pm
at least they cant come to my local barrel fest and just shoot videos of it like this!
oh wait, brb

gme

• forum hero
#1445 Re: One for the surfers
September 23, 2010, 06:34:25 pm
how do i remove my post.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1446 Re: One for the surfers
September 23, 2010, 07:49:21 pm
Hopefully a mod will read this and do it for you ask Bubba or one of the IOs.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1447 Re: One for the surfers
September 23, 2010, 08:38:43 pm
Not sure of the impact of removing them from here tbh, flickr is a site with rather more traffic.

I can identify to some extent to the secretism in surfing (as opposed to localism) but I think this illustrates why its going to struggle in the information age. The research I've done on Lleyn spots suggests a lot of info all ready online, and very little consensus on which are secret.

granticus

• forum abuser
#1448 Re: One for the surfers
September 23, 2010, 10:37:53 pm
Looks like there was quite a collection of visitors from down this way, including a youngster from Croyde with 'acting skills'..

Not gonna get involved either I think all that could be said has been said and that's 'nuff said.

Solid swell is arriving SW tomorrow along with Northerly winds, perhaps the NE mafia could start an impromptu exchange programme with their Cornish chums and pile on down to the Lev or nearby secrets that'll be cranking :whistle:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1449 Re: One for the surfers
September 24, 2010, 12:00:31 am
Like anyone actually "owns" waves/breaks, they're so ephemeral!  :P

(I do however understand that that is part of their appeal)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal