UKBouldering.com

One for the surfers (Read 715714 times)

Baron

• obsessive maniac
#1400 Re: One for the surfers
September 17, 2010, 06:34:03 pm
Cheers D

East coast kelp breakfast for me in the morning. Apparently today was epic.

Drewski Rootbitch

• addict
#1401 Re: One for the surfers
September 17, 2010, 08:56:39 pm
Update from today;
Cayton Bay wasn't working at all, although there were a few people out on the point doing Billy-Big-Balls stuff (which apparently was not great either).
North Bay, Scarborough wasn't happening, general carnage.
Unfortunately, South Bay, Scarborough was nothing like the 2 stars MSW would have you believe.
Busy, as it was giving all impressions of working, but that was just a trick to lure you in.
On closer inspection very few waves were being caught as things were quite messy and choppy.
Lots of double hitters etc.
We were in for about 3 hours trying to get somewhere, but.....  :(
So if you didn't make it today, don't worry.

Last night however was quite nice...in the water until about 8:30pm..... :thumbsup:

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1402 Re: One for the surfers
September 17, 2010, 09:09:03 pm
The MSW star system is the curse of the internet enabled surfer.  Ignore if you can.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#1403 Re: One for the surfers
September 17, 2010, 09:38:34 pm
Don't encourage him FFS. I lend him Jerry's book and the next thing I know is he's sacked climbing and using words like 'choppy' and 'double hitters'.   :'(

WTF.  ::)

Anyway, carry on.  :alky:

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#1404 Re: One for the surfers
September 17, 2010, 11:32:31 pm
the next thing I know is he's sacked climbing

Good, might give us all a chance at Ratho in October!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#1405 Re: One for the surfers
September 18, 2010, 03:22:10 pm
The MSW star system is the curse of the internet enabled surfer.  Ignore if you can.

It's fuckin my head in, and I've only used it since July!

philo

• forum hero
#1406 Re: One for the surfers
September 18, 2010, 07:22:41 pm
had an amazing day in tynemouth, 8am only a handful of surfers in for some amazing waves. 
Some really clean sets.  Only two major downfalls of the day,
managed to tweak my shoulder and i have just realised the great north run is on tomorrow  :(

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
#1407 Re: One for the surfers
September 20, 2010, 11:14:04 am
Update from today;
Cayton Bay wasn't working at all, although there were a few people out on the point doing Billy-Big-Balls stuff (which apparently was not great either).
North Bay, Scarborough wasn't happening, general carnage.
Unfortunately, South Bay, Scarborough was nothing like the 2 stars MSW would have you believe.
Busy, as it was giving all impressions of working, but that was just a trick to lure you in.
On closer inspection very few waves were being caught as things were quite messy and choppy.
Lots of double hitters etc.
We were in for about 3 hours trying to get somewhere, but.....  :(
So if you didn't make it today, don't worry.

Last night however was quite nice...in the water until about 8:30pm..... :thumbsup:

I surfed the point break late afternoon/early evening as the tide was on it's way out, caught a few waves but it was hard work. First day out after cartilage operation on my knee, so it was nice just to be in the water. No climbing for 3 months *apparently* - surfing felt ok-ish...

granticus

• forum abuser
#1408 Re: One for the surfers
September 20, 2010, 11:44:40 am
Glad to hear there have been some waves for you east siders...

MSW star rating system and forecasts have their limitations, a sprinkling of local knowledge and sneaky peeks at webcams will help decision making further..

:jaw:  West side is about to receive some post hurricane delights, could be all time, could be maxed out carnage.  Some smaller warm up swells to start the week and then things should get spicey, spring tides too...  IF the forecasts hold, swell starts 2ft at 20secs (could convert into a sizeable wave when it strikes shore) peaking at 5ft at 15secs with light offshores predicted...  :bounce:
No one wants him though?
I heard he has made it!
Lives off of Virgins sweat and bathes in milk?
Drives a two seater red  sports car...
all are rumours, bet He still partys hard though?
Was he climbing really well when you saw him?
:-\  This is suspiciously like someone anonomously fishing for praise, your name's not Pat is it Idol?

He was climbing OK,  a little bit podgy, nothing that would've set the world on fire...

Did he eat all your food without asking whilst wearing a pair of Calvin Klein boxer shorts?
Ate all my food and alleviated me of my crashpad for the afternoon (or was that Johnny Dawes!!?).

gme

• forum hero
#1409 Re: One for the surfers
September 20, 2010, 12:28:12 pm
Epic up here on sat if you knew where to go, all main beaches were just closing out and i suspect a lot of people spent a lot of time driving and looking.

Tides (or lack of any)didn't help but due to the size of the swell loads of new/ rarely ridden slabs got a hammering. My favorite spot was solid five foot and jacking to double over head with the odd bigger ones. Got some of the best waves i have had for a while and one proper good flogging when we all got caught chatting and failed to see the biggest set of the afternoon. Total carnage as nine of us took the full set on the head.

The only downer which takes me back to the localism issue was the fact that the van loads from the SW including a few of our top surfers cant go anywhere without cameras. I suspect one of our waves will now be all over the next issue of Carve and in the next UK video.

To make it worse they now all bring jet skis to surf waves that have been paddled by a few people for years. This time they failed to tow surf a slab that's been ridden lots without skis and was happily paddled into at the same size by three young kids from newcastle who are hardly old enough to be out without there mums.

Matty capel however, who did not use a ski, give the best surfing performance i have ever seen  on a seldom ridden slab. total pleasure to witness.

Baron

• obsessive maniac
#1410 Re: One for the surfers
September 20, 2010, 06:24:18 pm
Aye.

Got the tour from a mate who lives in Whitby this weekend and popped my east coast slab cherry. Amazing.

I have 1 board; 7' 2'' x 22 x 2 7/8 quad fish. Felt like I needed something snappier.

Suggestions for east coast reef/point board?

I'm 5' 11'' and 10st 12lbs

Idol eyes

• junky
#1411 Re: One for the surfers
September 20, 2010, 08:14:31 pm
Ha! Josh Hughes killing it at Staves too!!!
Seen the photos...
Love them boys!
Skis are gay though, but if your in rehab all week... you need help at weekends!

gme

• forum hero
#1412 Re: One for the surfers
September 20, 2010, 08:42:54 pm
Gay is a good word for them. Very lame and lazy. I work too much and could triple my wave count with them as it's my arms that give out before the will, could afford one but wouldn't get one as the waves here really don't need one. Ireland maybe but not here, ain't seen a wave that couldn't be paddled yet.  Seams like there the latest must have gadget.

Baron. Your board sounds way to wide for the heavier east coast waves. Generally you want something a bit narrower with more rocker for the steeper waves. Length may not be an issue but I would guess from the description it's a pretty wide fat board for the average waves we get. My standard beach short board is six foot but 19 INS wide. My reef board is 6.4 x 18 3/4 and my step up that I rode sat was 6.6 but only 18. 1/2 wide. Ie they get thinner as they get longer.
Also I like round pins on the reef/slabs as they hold better than squares.
Re fins. I am a thruster man. Never found the twin /quad thing any good. Think it's just to sell more boards.  And I already have to many.
I have a 6.3 for sale but it may be too small for you. I love it in indo etc when I am in shorts but it's too small for uk winter with all our clobber on. I am bigger than you at 6.1 and 80 kg.

Baron

• obsessive maniac
#1413 Re: One for the surfers
September 20, 2010, 09:36:58 pm
Good knowledge gme, cheers

Idol eyes

• junky
#1414 Re: One for the surfers
September 21, 2010, 08:22:01 am
We got waves all week again...
just a heads up for a SW visit!!!
Weekend looking better, Friday Saturday it should peak?
Still in a 3.2
Going to see Adam Beyer at DRUMCODE, so going to miss most of it!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1415 Re: One for the surfers
September 21, 2010, 08:49:54 am
Epic up here on sat

Great weekend I chose to go to SE to see relatives. Gutted.

Baron

• obsessive maniac
#1416 Re: One for the surfers
September 21, 2010, 06:29:04 pm
It would be my first true short board so I'm wary of going too short too soon.

Tried a 6' 6'' beachbeat thruster with a bit more width (around 19'' I think, maybe more) and volume than yours a while back. Seemed to get on with that ok. Sound reasonable?

clm

• forum hero
#1417 Re: One for the surfers
September 21, 2010, 09:10:49 pm
i got a 6'8" x 19" rounded pin rusty thruster off of ebay after a bit of advice from falling down and chris. It goes great. Got it for indo but reckon it would suit the east. Im a similar size ti yiu. Touch heaviier.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1418 Re: One for the surfers
September 22, 2010, 02:48:48 pm
Some bean spillage on Vimeo

ET managing to get through those two lips at the end is pretty impressive.

Idol eyes

• junky
#1419 Re: One for the surfers
September 22, 2010, 03:34:35 pm
A good four to five... six on the sets, blowing out afternoon type shit... building on the push scenarios, but improving through the week!
Called Skinner off a double overhead bomb today at Whippsy! fully funny! really good surfer that guy, and leaves the Ego out!

gme

• forum hero
#1420 Re: One for the surfers
September 22, 2010, 06:19:27 pm
Nice to see they put all the locals waves on the video as well and its not some SW centered wave fest !!!

Still good and eugenes wave at the end gets my vote as the best.

Wasnt quite as big where we were but only just a bit smaller, there are pics about but they are all on flickr and i cant work out how to get them onto here.

Heres a link to his page if it works http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0097009/photos/swin_hoe/5008173544/

just shows what the east coast can produce the once or twice a year we get a proper 6 ft swell hitting. If only there was a way to get rid of scandinavia and russia.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1421 Re: One for the surfers
September 22, 2010, 06:28:38 pm
I reckon it would be better to push NE tip of Scotland westwards a bit so the Aberdeen Coast faces NE and doesn't get in the way. That way we will get more swell, and you will get a wider window.

Baron

• obsessive maniac
#1422 Re: One for the surfers
September 22, 2010, 06:34:30 pm
The guy in the red top suit getting the reform barrel. Ruler.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1423 Re: One for the surfers
September 22, 2010, 07:14:01 pm
there are pics about but they are all on flickr and i cant work out how to get them onto here.

Heres a link to his page if it works http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0097009/photos/swin_hoe/5008173544/

Read Backlinking Flickr the easy way (or the official way from Flickr)

Et voila!

DSC_4004 by swinhoe industries, on Flickr

« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 07:36:40 pm by slack---line »

gme

• forum hero
#1424 Re: One for the surfers
September 22, 2010, 07:34:14 pm
Well done.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal