UKBouldering.com

One for the surfers (Read 715643 times)

chris05

• forum abuser
#1250 Re: One for the surfers
July 23, 2010, 01:32:12 pm
Thanks for the info oldfella, very useful.  :thumbsup:

I dont know a great deal about surfboard design but decided on a custom as it would allow me to get something better suited to me. Most boards off the shelf are on the thin side (fish etc excluded), i'm after something shorter but with plenty of buoyancy to suit my kook surfing style! I couldn't find what I wanted off the shelf.

Jp do have the option of borrowing a board for a couple of weeks which I'm hoping to make use of (although it will be in August when there probably wont be any waves!). I dont surf very often but want something which will work ok in a variety of conditions (beach break slop and good waves in indo and morocco) - I realise that this is basically impossible but I havent been that unhappy with my current board for all these waves so I'm hoping a model like JP's Hybrid will fit the bill.

chris05

• forum abuser
#1251 Re: One for the surfers
July 23, 2010, 01:39:00 pm
gme: cheers. the try before you buy sounds good. I think your boards may be a bit to "performance oriented" for me, not quite a beginner but want something with a bit of float, probably about 19 3/4'' x 2 1/2'' or 2 5/8'' !

S.A Chris: thanks, good spot. Unfortuantely thats bigger than my current board, looking for one around the 6'4 mark.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1252 Re: One for the surfers
July 23, 2010, 01:49:40 pm
Did he not have any of these on the shelf?

http://www.jpsurfboards.co.uk/quadfin_surfboards.htm

6'4 x 20.5 x 2 1/2

I ride an almost identical template but it's Bunty

chris05

• forum abuser
#1253 Re: One for the surfers
July 23, 2010, 02:05:24 pm
Did he not have any of these on the shelf?

http://www.jpsurfboards.co.uk/quadfin_surfboards.htm

6'4 x 20.5 x 2 1/2

I ride an almost identical template but it's Bunty

Haven't been to the shop yet. I thought this type of board might be great for the surf here but less good abroad in good waves? Did you use it on your Banyak trip? I can see I need to get down there and give a few a try. Whats the betting there isn't a ripple when I head down? ;)

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
#1254 Re: One for the surfers
July 23, 2010, 02:09:33 pm
my other 2 pence worth,

by the sounds of it.
i reckon you'd be better of with the the good old round square tail. 6'4 -6'6 x 19 wide x 2-1/2 thick. maybe with FCS if you can if you plan to travel. however if youre looking at indo / morrocco, you be better off getting a 2nd board anyway, which i would get a board tailored for those waves. one of GME's 6'10s would be ideal.

you can get a good round square tail like that i mentioned above 2nd hand or off the shelf.
i personally dont buy into these hybrid mongrel boards. just stick with a convential board, get to know it inside and out. once yo can get that board to do everything you want it to do, then you are ready and capable to appreciate the variations in surf board design.

the standard tri fin (thruster) round square is standard because it fucking works in everything.

i know and see some many just above begginerrs surf all weird shit thinking they surf like derryk hind or rasta.
all it does it screw your basic tecniques.

it is like learning to climb using hob nailed boots because you see a few videos of ondra climbing in ceause with this shit on his feet, and think fuck thats cool. they must work!!

PS, dont be afraid of thin rails, the key thing is width in the right areas, bigg rails catch more water, and it want be long before you are burying the liitle bastards hard on a turn. rather than having them catch and buck you off and do the ball slap on the open face. i know GME knows the sensation, anyone else??
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 02:18:39 pm by oldfella »

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1255 Re: One for the surfers
July 23, 2010, 02:29:12 pm
Did you use it on your Banyak trip?

Yeah it goes great in good waves.   On the bigger days I have a 6'9 rounded pin with a 2+1 setup.

Oldfella's on the money with his advice though.

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
#1256 Re: One for the surfers
July 23, 2010, 02:38:17 pm
arent i always???? shit, you dont get 10 negative points for talking drivell.......
as they say truth hurts sometimes......

on a positive note, GME and yours truly will be in G land next April / May for some proper goofy footer pr0n.
7 days or maybe more if Ms E will allow a 9 day stay. the extra days will reduce the effects of jetlag on  GME when he gets back home..

maybe he better hang on to those 6'3 & 6'10 round pins.

5 days of head and half to double g land then to finsh with double to triple o head for the climatic finish. 
then a night in kuta before we part ways  :pissed:

gme

• forum hero
#1257 Re: One for the surfers
July 23, 2010, 02:45:55 pm
One of my boards i am getting rid of is 6`3" x 19 1/2 x 2 1/2. JP squash. Not a lot of rocker and a good bit of weight under your chest for paddling and (as pointed out by oldfella) not thick around the edges . I got it shaped 4 years ago as my slop board and it goes great in usual british conditions. I am 78-80Kg and six one so not small and its a great board for me in anything from knee to head high waves. Its in pretty good nick with a few dings but all fixed up. Should be perfect for you.

I am only getting rid to make space as i now have a 6`0" and 5`9" i ride on small days.

You can have it for £100.00 in deck pad and then get your self a good travel board. Oldfella is right re having different boards for travelling as a lot of UK style boards just dont work in better waves.

chris05

• forum abuser
#1258 Re: One for the surfers
July 23, 2010, 03:27:54 pm
One of my boards i am getting rid of is 6`3" x 19 1/2 x 2 1/2. JP squash. Not a lot of rocker and a good bit of weight under your chest for paddling and (as pointed out by oldfella) not thick around the edges . I got it shaped 4 years ago as my slop board and it goes great in usual british conditions. I am 78-80Kg and six one so not small and its a great board for me in anything from knee to head high waves. Its in pretty good nick with a few dings but all fixed up. Should be perfect for you.

I am only getting rid to make space as i now have a 6`0" and 5`9" i ride on small days.

You can have it for £100.00 in deck pad and then get your self a good travel board. Oldfella is right re having different boards for travelling as a lot of UK style boards just dont work in better waves.

That sounds really interesting. Do you have any pictures? I'm about 65 kg and 5'8 but have been riding a 6'10 x 19 1/2 x 2 1/2 so should work ok. Where are you for picking it up?

chris05

• forum abuser
#1259 Re: One for the surfers
July 23, 2010, 03:36:42 pm
the extra days will reduce the effects of jetlag on  GME when he gets back home..

then a night in kuta before we part ways  :pissed:

Not sure a night in kuta will help with the jetlag, you may not get home after that.

cheers again oldfella, you cant always be this helpful if you have that many punter points? ;)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1260 Re: One for the surfers
July 23, 2010, 03:56:13 pm
Other board members sometimes don't get his sense of humour...

gme

• forum hero
#1261 Re: One for the surfers
July 23, 2010, 04:10:25 pm
I am in the NE but in sheff every week. Will take a pic over the weekend and get it to you if I can work out how to do that.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux

chris05

• forum abuser
#1263 Re: One for the surfers
July 23, 2010, 05:46:24 pm
I am in the NE but in sheff every week. Will take a pic over the weekend and get it to you if I can work out how to do that.

That would be great. I'm away at a conference from sunday until wednesday, perhaps you could give me first refusal once i'm back?!

dave lamacraft

#1264 Re: One for the surfers
July 23, 2010, 06:38:50 pm
I am 78-80Kg

lost weight since i saw you last then gav....

gme

• forum hero
#1265 Re: One for the surfers
July 23, 2010, 07:54:43 pm
Cheeky bastards. I was 78 kg flat last night on the scales. My love handles were coming on nicely since becoming a surfer. Now I am bouldering a fair bit I have realised that they don't really help so have dropped half a stone.
Anyway FD you hit the big 40 soon this is the point in your life where everything starts growing where you don't want it to so with your taste for fine wines and kebabs your fucked.
And dave I can't quite remember but suspect the spreading years are already upon you.

Re the board chris 05. Will bring it down to sheff this week but only there until wed. Then off to Ireland for a week. Back in sheff around the 11th so can hook up then. No hurry as only selling them word of mouth at the minute.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1266 Re: One for the surfers
July 23, 2010, 08:29:42 pm
 ;D

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
#1267 Re: One for the surfers
July 23, 2010, 11:02:06 pm
I was 78 kg flat last night on the scales. My love handles were coming on nicely since becoming a surfer. Now I am bouldering a fair bit I have realised that they don't really help so have dropped half a stone.

i think you should mass produce those scales you used and sell them to the world over.

which activity are you referring to about your love handles?
a. surfing
b.shagging
c. bouldering

given that most of us are well into marriage and into / nearing 40's i guess that all three are a rare commodity to enjoy nowdays.....

dave lamacraft

#1268 Re: One for the surfers
July 24, 2010, 10:04:53 am

And dave I can't quite remember but suspect the spreading years are already upon you.

well into them Gav, embracing them I'd say, its nothing to be scared of......adds character.....remember, muscle weighs more than fat.....

i still want some of those scales of yours though

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#1269 Re: One for the surfers
July 24, 2010, 05:55:42 pm
after another fucked up dolomites trip I am currently at the sea.
mega swell coming in since last night, going to be offshore tomorrow morning.
problem is that I probably won't dare paddling in, after many months without surfing.
on another note, I got the van back, fixed a few dings and even put in a double sized, 15 cm thick new mattress. so now I will only empty your fridge but will sleep chéz moi.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1270 Re: One for the surfers
July 24, 2010, 08:09:40 pm
Get on that swell. If you don't you will regret it, and never get the chance to ride that wave again, it will be gone forever.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#1271 Re: One for the surfers
July 24, 2010, 08:17:48 pm
oh yeah chris,
I will paddle in for sure! I only hope it won't be too big, because the spot is super crowded and the takeoff is very very narrow: there is some kind of a rocky channel underwater, so the wave breaks exactly in the same point. it clearly has pros and cons. it's a great wave to be honest, and can be quite intimidating for a mediterran longboarder. I can still remember one time when I paddled for a wave, stood up and realized it was fa steeper and bigger than I had judged. I trimmed the roundest, smoothest and longest bottom turn of  my life, there was a shorboarder in the inside and he started whistling and yelling, it was great.
but hey, I was young then.
 ;)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1272 Re: One for the surfers
July 24, 2010, 08:24:35 pm
You were younger then, you are stronger now :)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1273 Re: One for the surfers
August 04, 2010, 02:44:10 pm
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=107865479263645#&ref=mf

This video does my head in, can't believe what he does is possible. Apologies it's on FB.

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
  • High Rocks? Best crag in the country mate.....
    • John Horscroft - Writer
#1274 Re: One for the surfers
August 04, 2010, 02:49:32 pm
'scuse my ignorance,  :shrug: but has got no fin on that board  :bow:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal