UKBouldering.com

One for the surfers (Read 715423 times)

gme

• forum hero
#1100 Re: One for the surfers
June 16, 2010, 10:59:34 am
Dave

Spring has been average but the winter was pretty epic. Cold but epic. We had pretty constant surf from december through to march. Usually 2-3 good days each week.

Loads of good waves and very quiet (or it was until the magazines started putting pics and articles about one particular wave in them). There are only a hand full of people surfing so i spend a lot of time in the water on my own which is great when its head high on the beach but a bit scary out on some of the slabs when they get overhead.

Will have to get you and mr Tye up here in the autumn for a guided tour.

gav

dave lamacraft

#1101 Re: One for the surfers
June 16, 2010, 07:09:03 pm
Sounds good to me Gav, if we start getting Ben in wetsuits now he may be used to it by then

clm

• forum hero
#1102 Re: One for the surfers
June 16, 2010, 07:48:29 pm
the calling of the east.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1103 Re: One for the surfers
June 16, 2010, 10:24:12 pm
Flippin 'eck I turn my back for two days and now I'm some fairweather fly-by-night tropical water loving softie  :guilty:

Dave - Hang on here for too long and you'll be trading Easterlies for good conditions on the grit.. (which is probably why CLM has never had it good at The Mouth).

dave lamacraft

#1104 Re: One for the surfers
June 17, 2010, 11:02:22 am
Funny you should say that.....I'm leafing through the Lleyn guide right now sorting out this review of the Cilan restrictions, and had started thinking there must be something you could drag me up....

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1105 Re: One for the surfers
June 17, 2010, 11:28:12 am
You got the '09 supplement too Dave?

Getting a bit OT, but on Cilan Fisherman's Crawl  is a very good VS/ HVS. A great day out in high summer is the traverse/ swim from Trywn Cilan to Trwyn y Fulfran. There are some nice easy routes in Quarry 5 at Tyn Tywyn too. Is that wierd sport route still there, must visit with spanner if so!

Idol eyes

• junky
#1106 Re: One for the surfers
June 18, 2010, 06:15:00 pm
A great excursion, "this is where Crispin saw that big blue shark...."
SPLASH!
Arrrrrrrgh!

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1107 Re: One for the surfers
June 18, 2010, 06:20:37 pm
Ha, I've never seen anyone get out of the water so quickly. You dived in, then came straight back out like a torpedo!

dave lamacraft

#1108 Re: One for the surfers
June 21, 2010, 08:17:18 pm
Proposed footpath closure at Hells Mouth - a step closure to Fistralisation?

For those who surf at Hell's Mouth you may want to know there are moves afoot to close the footpath across the dunes from the stile i.e. where you would walk to go and surf and the corner/reef.  It seems this is part of a deal to extend the car park (with some noises about the introduction of car parking charges, enforcing the no overnight parking rule etc.), and create a new fenced in path along the rapidly eroding cliff top (mmmm.....).  Basically it seems like the landowners are happy to give land for the car park in exchange for closure of the existing footpath from the stile. There's a public meeting next Tuesday in Llanengan village hall (Y Canolfan) where we will find out more about the proposals.  The the local councillors are v keen, but it doesn't seem to be particularly  popular among many local and visiting beach users, surfers etc.  Would be interested in any views.

Dave.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1109 Re: One for the surfers
June 22, 2010, 09:59:22 pm
Thanks for bringing this to our attention Dave. I love the path along the top of the dunes, I've been walking it since I was little and would be very sad to see it closed.  It's a unique walk that gives a unique perspective over the sea and bay on one side and views inland on the other. Yes it's a sensitive zone between land and sea but that is why it's important to keep access.  Walking along the tops as he skylarks start singing around dawn is a very special thing and I'd be very sad I'd it was taken away to make way for a bigger car park that caters for the overflow that only happens on busy weekends.

I just don't see the logic in the proposal.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1110 Re: One for the surfers
June 22, 2010, 10:41:45 pm
I'd also be very disappointed to lose this path. I appreciate the parking needs addressing but I don't see how this is relevant. Are they suggesting closing a footpath is a planning gain for locals? Seems bizarre.

and create a new fenced in path along the rapidly eroding cliff top (mmmm.....)

Noticed this happening on Cilan above Dorys too. Is it the only way landowners will accept the creation of the Lleyn coastal path? If so its a crap solution. Walking along a fenced corridor is not what these places are about.

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
#1111 Re: One for the surfers
June 23, 2010, 12:43:24 pm
I'd be very sad if it was taken away to make way for a bigger car park that caters for the overflow that only happens on busy weekends.

I just don't see the logic in the proposal.
when you start having to pay 5 quid for 3 hrs parking, the logic will be as clear as crystal with probably 3% of revenue raised go to the land owner

dave lamacraft

#1112 Re: One for the surfers
June 23, 2010, 03:53:42 pm

when you start having to pay 5 quid for 3 hrs parking, the logic will be as clear as crystal with probably 3% of revenue raised go to the land owner
[/quote]

Its a weird one, can't see the car park being that much bigger than it is now (certainly not big enough for all the cars you get on a busy day) + my understanding is they can't put double-yellows on the road as its not a built up area (not sure if that's right), so parking on the road will always be the first choice if they introduce charges - which won't solve the 'problem'.  Have also heard that the council haven't got the cash to do the car park, and won't have for 6 years.  Increasingly it looks like this is really about closing the PRoW across the dunes.

dave lamacraft

#1113 Re: One for the surfers
June 23, 2010, 03:56:39 pm
on a lighter note.....awesome point action, sick barrels and a grumpy pony....

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#1114 Re: One for the surfers
June 23, 2010, 05:26:06 pm
More gaping barrels and some nice lip action, oh and a nice bowl for the dry landers :dance1:

http://www.skipass.com/videos/my-toys.html

Idol eyes

• junky
#1115 Re: One for the surfers
June 25, 2010, 10:35:15 am
It is pumping down here again!!!!

gme

• forum hero
#1116 Re: One for the surfers
June 25, 2010, 11:34:24 am
Where is down here as i (being a sad chart obsessive who checks everywhere in the uk to make myself miserable) cant see anywhere in the UK that would come even close to being called pumping???
Close to being called rideable may be closer to the mark.

I guess your somewhere overseas.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1117 Re: One for the surfers
June 25, 2010, 11:44:19 am
Longboarder - 2ft = pumping :0)

Actually some nice deepish lows mid atlantic.

granticus

• forum abuser
#1118 Re: One for the surfers
June 26, 2010, 10:51:58 am
It is pumping down here again!!!!
Where is down here as i (being a sad chart obsessive who checks everywhere in the uk to make myself miserable) cant see anywhere in the UK that would come even close to being called pumping???
Close to being called rideable may be closer to the mark.

I guess your somewhere overseas.

I believe Mr Idol is down yer in the SW and despite the look of the charts, there have been some good days over the last week.  In the right spots, at the right stage of tide, there have been some good sessions.

However, a proper pumping swell from said lows is arriving tonight and should last all day Sunday which coincides nicely with the arrival of billions of weekend warriors.  Yes, silly season has arrived and the lifeguards will be busy tomorrow. 

Last week the lifeguards actually called all the hire board crew (aka kooks) out of the water on low-tide Croyde 'we advise you take a look at the conditions and use your judgement...'.  Most took the advice, those that didn't got the  :spank: of their lives and then got out (or washed up onto the beach).  The ultimate maneuver I witnessed was the stand facing out to sea (with your long board sideways in front of you), to get sucked up the face (don't let go of your board), to back flip into reverse sand plant hold down.  Bloody funny but could've been serious all the same, she won't be ignoring lifeguards again anytime soon.

Dr T

• forum hero
#1119 Re: One for the surfers
June 27, 2010, 12:56:18 pm
who wants to go to Sri Lanka??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/10425220.stm

also talks about rock outcrops - if anyone goes how's about scoping for bouldering too

Idol eyes

• junky
#1120 Re: One for the surfers
June 28, 2010, 04:16:24 pm
Spent two months there last summer... Coast has got nuffin... The cultural triangle has lots of snake infested rock outcrops...

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
  • High Rocks? Best crag in the country mate.....
    • John Horscroft - Writer
#1121 Re: One for the surfers
June 28, 2010, 06:34:48 pm
Things what I have learned on my holidays  :-\

1. Take the advice of the UKB surfing team and do press-ups and pop-ups before you go.  Me feckin arms nearly fell off a couple of times.

2. Never trust your mate when he says he's lending you an 8'6" board - it must be like willys, he overestimated by a foot, (so, not exactly like willys then?!)

3. Standing up is the beginning, not the end.

4. Thanks SAChris and Granticus - top advice.  Ended up at Woolacombe, pretty weedy waves apart from one day, (sunday last week), but fine for a beginner like me.

I'm hooked  :thumbsup:

chris05

• forum abuser
#1122 Re: One for the surfers
June 28, 2010, 08:41:21 pm

:lol:  How true. I remember thinking I was a natural after standing up during my first lesson, only to later realise I'm crap and I wasn't surfing a board, it was a boat.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1123 Re: One for the surfers
June 28, 2010, 08:47:52 pm

So true. Once you have got the standing up down, then it starts getting really good fun.

So board was 7'6"then? should be about right for a fit and healthy young male! I did a lot of my learning on a 8ish ft board, and it served me well for a long time.

Go home, regroup, head down again Sept Oct time. Crowds have gone home, air is cooler so water feels warmer, and you get the autumn / early winter swells start to pick up. And remember Hell's mouth and the N Yorkshire coast aren't that far away!

granticus

• forum abuser
#1124 Re: One for the surfers
June 28, 2010, 10:26:23 pm
I'm hooked   :thumbsup:

Nice one, stoked for you!  8) Standing up is the beginning and Chris is right it gets better from here on in.  As with climbing, the learning curve is steep but you will need lots of practice which'll also get you fitter.

Check those charts and get on it when the waves are good, avoid onshore winds and windswells.

Next stage for you, (once you can stand confidentally and straight line it in the whitewater), is taking off as the wave breaks, the 'bottom turn' and 'trimming' across the wave to stay in the green (or brown for you NE folk) water.  First time you do this and the wave stays open, will be a bigger buzz than standing up and will get you fully hooked.   

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal