UKBouldering.com

One for the surfers (Read 715550 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1075 Re: One for the surfers
June 08, 2010, 09:55:45 am
Elephants etc - South Africa? October will be springtime, so tail end of winter swells, buy you could easily do a J-Bay / Addo NP Combo.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1076 Re: One for the surfers
June 08, 2010, 12:30:38 pm
Interesting new group of "surfers" identified....

Surfing crocs

:P

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#1077 Re: One for the surfers
June 08, 2010, 01:22:29 pm
FAO anyone who surfs Hells Mouth. Anyone know the 'conditions' for a decent wave. Magic Seaweed forecast is just automated and have been told from a reliable source that even though MS predict no wave, there often is. Thanks!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1078 Re: One for the surfers
June 08, 2010, 01:30:52 pm
FAO anyone who surfs Hells Mouth. Anyone know the 'conditions' for a decent wave.

Deep Low Pressure in Mid Atlantic? :)

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#1079 Re: One for the surfers
June 08, 2010, 01:32:15 pm
FAO anyone who surfs Hells Mouth. Anyone know the 'conditions' for a decent wave.

Deep Low Pressure in Mid Atlantic? :)

::) Someone told me the exact setup to look out for, but have forgotten. Any useful answers?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1080 Re: One for the surfers
June 08, 2010, 01:51:56 pm
FD's home turf.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1082 Re: One for the surfers
June 08, 2010, 02:03:51 pm
>Any useful answers?

The basics for Hells Mouth are a good South Westerly swell from a Biscay'ish low and E/NE winds with a pushing tide.

Beyond that that, check the synoptic charts, prevailing weather and tide every day and see how that compares with what you are seeing on the webcams at WestCoast, that should give you a good idea of when it's working and when it isn't.

I'm not being facetious but to get to grips with a spot you need to surf there and just hang out alot to learn the ropes, it takes a reasonably long time to figure this kind of stuff out.

granticus

• forum abuser
#1083 Re: One for the surfers
June 08, 2010, 05:38:54 pm
Cheers for all the ideas, I think suggesting sri lanka early on in the negotiations was a mistake as the weather, elephants etc have made all other options less attractive. Will try some of the others next year.

Gutted for you!! :boohoo:  Mate Sri Lanka, by all accounts, will be mint. 

Someone told me the exact setup to look out for, but have forgotten. Any useful answers?

Going with the FD theme, the useful answer is, to look carefully at swell direction especially for spots like the Lleyn where
if there is too much west in the swell it will miss the target, look carefully at swell size (the size of the breaking wave will vary according to the swell size and the set up it's hitting) and quality (quality being indicated
by the swell period 10 secs = getting good 14 secs = pumping),  look carefully at wind direction (offshore or no wind is
preferable) and look carefully at tides (remember spring tides are bigger, so lower low and higher highs, neap tides will vary less).
Combine all this information with your favourite spot/ area and you'll know where to go when, meaning you should get the
best waves available on any given day (provided there is swell that is).

chris05

• forum abuser
#1084 Re: One for the surfers
June 08, 2010, 08:33:21 pm
Cheers for all the ideas, I think suggesting sri lanka early on in the negotiations was a mistake as the weather, elephants etc have made all other options less attractive. Will try some of the others next year.

Gutted for you!! :boohoo:  Mate Sri Lanka, by all accounts, will be mint. 

Ok you may have a point. Looking forward to it now  :bounce:

is that better?! :-[

clm

• forum hero
#1085 Re: One for the surfers
June 08, 2010, 10:35:12 pm
>Any useful answers?

The basics for Hells Mouth are a good South Westerly swell from a Biscay'ish low and E/NE winds with a pushing tide.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
 :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :furious:

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1086 Re: One for the surfers
June 08, 2010, 10:42:40 pm
Eh? Do you prefer an onshore wind or are you suggesting it never fuckin happens...

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#1087 Re: One for the surfers
June 11, 2010, 10:58:13 am
Anyone recommend an online surfshop?

And whats your thoughts on C-Skins wetsuits?

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#1088 Re: One for the surfers
June 11, 2010, 12:02:58 pm
Actually dont worry about it particularly. I was just talking to Dr Pinch who said you should go and try some on and pick one that fits and that you can afford. Sounds like good advice I thought.

Baron

• obsessive maniac
#1089 Re: One for the surfers
June 11, 2010, 12:26:46 pm
Secret Spot in Scarborough. They also own and run the shop at Cayton Bay and have an on-line store.

I'm buying a new suit tomorrow. Different brand this time (like rock boots the fit varies) so I'm going to Cayton to
try it on first then buy it if it fits. Support the local shops.

granticus

• forum abuser
#1090 Re: One for the surfers
June 11, 2010, 12:33:06 pm
Once you know what brand and what size fits, you can then buy on-line at a (possibly) cheaper price.  You can
normally get good deals on out of season suits (ie. buy your winter suit in summer and your summer suit in winter) and
by buying last years models..

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#1091 Re: One for the surfers
June 11, 2010, 12:54:26 pm
>Any useful answers?

The only way to be 100% sure of a good wave down there, is to wait for a a full blown depression to roll up under ireland, with 8 foot swell and howling onshore, head to the north and your away. If anyone thinks they can predict 'good' surf at hells mouth and get it right then ill buy the :beer1: :beer1:

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1092 Re: One for the surfers
June 11, 2010, 01:12:41 pm
Actually dont worry about it particularly. I was just talking to Dr Pinch who said you should go and try some on and pick one that fits and that you can afford. Sounds like good advice I thought.

It's definitely good advice. C-Skins are fairly good suits. Not best, but definitely not worst. Need to watch out for some right crap out there, though. I think it's Billabong that make terrible suits, and is that a Ripcurl you bought up here FD that leaked like a sieve.

gme

• forum hero
#1093 Re: One for the surfers
June 11, 2010, 01:41:03 pm
I would go xcel all the time for warmth, i have had 4 of there suits now and surf NE coast right through the winter in a 5/3. Only problem i have had is two zip failures where the zip has just come off in my hand. Both times they have replaced the zip FOC so i found there after sales good.

For flexibility i have found ripcurl the best as well as quicksilver.

Billabong are crap in my opinion, not had much joy with Gul either, although i havent tried there recent suits.

Not tried cskins, a mate had a 4/3 that he rated though.

As you have been told though its all in the fit. Billabong suits always leave a pocket sized gap around my balls that fills up with cold water. Not that pleasent as you can imagine.

It could just be the small size of my balls though especially after 2 hours in the water.

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#1094 Re: One for the surfers
June 11, 2010, 01:47:38 pm
Ripcurl all the way for me.

I heard Decathlon are good for suits.... well they've got a good advertising strategy anyway

clm

• forum hero
#1095 Re: One for the surfers
June 11, 2010, 04:02:20 pm
>Any useful answers?

The only way to be 100% sure of a good wave down there, is to wait for a a full blown depression to roll up under ireland, with 8 foot swell and howling onshore, head to the north and your away. If anyone thinks they can predict 'good' surf at hells mouth and get it right then ill buy the :beer1: :beer1:

Too right. Its getting to the point now where ive been in at porth oer more than anywhere else over there.
To be honest, its too far to really watch the conditions. I tend to just go cos its a bloody nice place and if theres waves theres waves. If not theres plenty more around to do.
And yes, its always fuckin onshore!!

Willriseley

• player
  • idiot child
#1096 Re: One for the surfers
June 12, 2010, 12:27:48 am
C-Skins suits for me all the way, have both a winter wired  5mm and there summer wired 3mm which is ace. Have been surfing up here (crappy kent) in the 3mm since April with boots, shouldnt need my winter suit until oct/nov time when it gets a bit chilly.

Plus with the up and over neck closure on the wireds i get absolutelty no flushing, My winter suit i pretty much stay dry in on the chest panel

dave lamacraft

#1097 Re: One for the surfers
June 13, 2010, 10:50:57 pm

If anyone thinks they can predict 'good' surf at hells mouth and get it right then ill buy the :beer1: :beer1:
[/quote]

mmm....look forward to the beers then, thank you

West Coast in Abersoch sells C-Skins and has a v efficient online service

The new O'Neill suits are v v nice (won SIMA awards recently), Phill at Abersoch Watersports sells them

Excel v good (although I think may be pipped by the new O'Neill's) - available online from Offaxis

Blatant plug of mates businesses over....

gme

• forum hero
#1098 Re: One for the surfers
June 15, 2010, 01:03:40 pm
How are you mr lamacraft. I have not seen you in an age. Ben keeps me informed as to what your upto.

Hope life is still all good down there.

I am living way up north now in a land your all too familiar with, nice to be right by the sea.

I must try to get over your way with Ben sometime when there is a wave, would be great to catch up, or if you fancy a bit of East coast action your welcome anytime.

Cheers

Gav

dave lamacraft

#1099 Re: One for the surfers
June 15, 2010, 06:57:18 pm
Hey Gav,

Good to hear from you, things good here thanks - you're welcome anytime, not sure Ben would be interested though, he's gone all 'Noel' and only surfs tropical perfection these days!

You're in a beautiful part of the world, Sam and I keep talking about a trip over, we'll make it one day.

We've had a good winter/spring for surf really, how's it been over there?

Dave.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal