UKBouldering.com

One for the surfers (Read 715504 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#975 Re: One for the surfers
March 30, 2010, 12:10:12 pm
Can't believe its taken me this long to see what all the fuss over surfing is.  Don't think I'll take it up as a full-time sport/hobby, but something else to do on holidays, and definitely beats sitting around doing nothing.

Looks like I'm out of luck with Madeira, although I might seek out some of the "all surfers" spots in conjunction with some lessons though.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#976 Re: One for the surfers
March 30, 2010, 12:16:09 pm
Better get better quickly then!!

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#977 Re: One for the surfers
March 30, 2010, 12:46:42 pm
Madeira = big heavy open ocean surf.  I'd be very anxious about heading out there to surf and wouldn't take anything under 7'2" and 2 1/2" thick and a winter in the pool/gym/surfing big waves in the UK.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#978 Re: One for the surfers
March 30, 2010, 01:04:04 pm
Watched a few videos just now during lunch  :o

Bit of a pipe-dream of being able to surf any of that at the moment!

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#979 Re: One for the surfers
March 30, 2010, 06:31:12 pm
Nice pic from near Abersoch at the weekend...

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#980 Re: One for the surfers
March 30, 2010, 06:40:57 pm
Wow! You down at Easter FD?

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#981 Re: One for the surfers
March 30, 2010, 06:54:33 pm

I'm sure the locals had to learn somewhere though. You might just have to man up and take lots of beatings :-)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#982 Re: One for the surfers
March 30, 2010, 06:57:39 pm
Wow! You down at Easter FD?

Nope off to Siurana to try and kick start my climbing year .. Although after some news today I might be needing some urgent surf fitness before May.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#983 Re: One for the surfers
March 30, 2010, 08:18:24 pm
Cryptic response? Whatever that means I hope it's a positive result for you.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#984 Re: One for the surfers
March 30, 2010, 11:28:34 pm

I'm sure the locals had to learn somewhere though. You might just have to man up and take lots of beatings :-)

:-\ Guess you're right, might be game if its not too heaving  :devangel:

granticus

• forum abuser
#985 Re: One for the surfers
March 31, 2010, 10:03:05 pm
.. just got back from Lanzarote and swell was pumping, La Santa was maxed out for a good proportion of the time which as it turned out was no great  loss.  Went exploring and found some gems...Surfed solid overhead el Golfo, on the east coast  - P.. M.. and Jameos del Agua, got a brief bit of not so perfect but fun all the same la Santa (still close to maxed out closing out right across) and come home a happy bunny. :great:

On urchins, by standing on tops of reefs and not in holes and by avoiding putting feet down I managed to avoid the buggers almost completely, 1 spine in my big toe.

On localism..  paddled out on my own at all the spots (Mrs G don't surf!), with a  :) on and said 'hola' to everyone, sat and waited my turn at the peaks of all the waves but made sure I went for the peaks and didn't faff waiting for inside waves or shoulder hopping..  Locals were nothing but friendly and didn't get any negative vibes at all.  The only person to 'have a word' was a young lad at Jameos, he told me 'I was getting too many waves and that i should show respect'!  I pointed out that he was sitting well inside and on the shoulder, that he would get no waves where he was and that I would show respect to him if he were on the peak.  ie. I wasn't about to sit outside him and catch nothing.  I invited him to paddle with me to the line up I was using and he promptly caught a wave.  He was stoked.  Didn't get shouted at, pointed at, attacked or called out the water, even got told I had a good session (in Spanish)!  So I guess I must've been doing something right..  :shrug:

All in all it was a splendid and surreal surfing experience, I was sat in the line up one evening watching the sun go down behind a volcano, with palm trees in the foreground, in warm water with perfect waves reeling off one after another thinking..  well this is nice.   :jaw:

Idol eyes

• junky
#986 Re: One for the surfers
April 01, 2010, 09:17:54 am
Nice One...

granticus

• forum abuser
#987 Re: One for the surfers
April 01, 2010, 11:14:18 am
Nice One...
  Aye! Twas flippin marvelous..  And what do I return to, snow, rain, wind, mush..  Looking pretty ugly for surfing down here at the moment :thumbsdown:

Slackers - I reckon you'll find some sheltered coves in Madeira to hone your skills at but be warned once you start down this path you it may well take over your life, in a good way mind..  If there are any booming swells coming through whilst you're there it would be pretty inspiring to watch some 'hell men' taking on the big wave spots. 

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#988 Re: One for the surfers
April 07, 2010, 03:17:41 pm
So thanks to a wine fuelled conversation between GME of this parrish and my darling wife at a party last weekend I'm now booked on another 'trip of a lifetime' to the Banyak Islands in four weeks time as a surprise 40th birthday gift.

I'd better get to the gym and the pool so I can be doing this again with confidence.

:dance1:

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#989 Re: One for the surfers
April 07, 2010, 03:19:26 pm
.. just got back from Lanzarote and swell was pumping,

Sounds like a great trip.  Good to hear that a cool approach in the water paid dividends...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#990 Re: One for the surfers
April 07, 2010, 03:24:49 pm
Twice in a lifetime. Jammy git, better get the fitness up!

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
#991 Re: One for the surfers
April 09, 2010, 04:20:00 pm
FD,
i heard the ticket was coming your way.
now how about that braddock CD now you'll be 'training' in chesire for a surf trip in sumatra!!

last i heard from the koby ellis, you'd be needing tape worms rather than some fancy trainig regieme.

slackers,
don't start surfing, stick with the love of leather and willow.

Granticus,
glad you had some good waves in lanza.
surprised you did see jerry out there. bastard is there every 2nd week now days.....

a word of warning for all you 'fashionable' surfers, don't surf twin fins in double over head surf!!
beleieve me when i say the tri fin evolved with good reason.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#992 Re: One for the surfers
April 10, 2010, 10:06:13 am
Oldfella

OK OK I'll try and do that CD for you before we go away. 

As for tape worms, Koby could do with a measuring tape of his own.

granticus

• forum abuser
#993 Re: One for the surfers
April 11, 2010, 10:11:31 pm
Granticus,
glad you had some good waves in lanza.
surprised you did see jerry out there. bastard is there every 2nd week now days.....

Didn't see a single non Canarian/Spanish surfer in the water at all, unless they were keeping a super low profile and/or have a very convincing Spanish accent..

Back to good ole 5mm, boots and gloves and hood...  Good swells last weekend, served up the goods in N. Devon great to be back but damn all the rubber is hard work!

Idol eyes

• junky
#994 Re: One for the surfers
April 12, 2010, 06:01:18 pm
Been in with Callum!
Nice...
Went on a date to Llangenith, ended up in a shortie and a weird foamy... and ripped, funny watchin al the "others" fully wraped in 5mil ans boot and stuff in freezin water.... I just pretended i was in Hawaii!...
no swell west side all week!

granticus

• forum abuser
#995 Re: One for the surfers
April 12, 2010, 10:55:40 pm
No swell. No Swell. No Swell!  Been a while since that's been the case, had a last blast at Croyde this morning on my longboard! (Haven't had to bring that into play for a while).

Nice article on MSW about this winter season and the weather patterns that have caused a good season for the South Coast. Apparently it's been crap for Maderia though, nevermind Slackers...

Idol eyes

• junky
#996 Re: One for the surfers
April 13, 2010, 08:04:26 am
something to do with the El Nino effect...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#997 Re: One for the surfers
April 13, 2010, 08:35:32 am
No swell. No Swell. No Swell!  Been a while since that's been the case, had a last blast at Croyde this morning on my longboard!

Sounds like the East Coast.

Heard sunday morning was good at Saunton? May have been mate prone to hyperbole though.

So you eventually went for a longboard after initial reticence then?

granticus

• forum abuser
#998 Re: One for the surfers
April 13, 2010, 11:57:22 am
Heard sunday morning was good at Saunton? May have been mate prone to hyperbole though.

So you eventually went for a longboard after initial reticence then?

The words good and Saunton don't generally get used in my vocabulary, wasn't anywhere near the coast on Sunday but my assumption is that it was knee high and clean at best (which if we're talking about Saunton = a very unexciting surfing experience).

YEP!  I have a minimal about 7''4 and a 7''6 Bonzer (my first board).  They only come into play when the surf is 1 to 2ft and they are lots of fun in smaller waves which in the past I would've just sacked off.  However, if the surf is 3ft upwards it's back to the shorties for me.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#999 Re: One for the surfers
April 13, 2010, 12:38:10 pm
7' 6" aint no longboard!

He is a dead keen longboarder so I guess his idea of what is good differs from yours.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal