Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
#750 Re: One for the surfers
June 30, 2009, 01:04:55 pm
ohh Andy,
get a life mate,  :wank:
it's all banter.

don't you know that all surfers on this site only surf heaving barrelling slabs, not the onshore mushy crap dipicted in these images....

AndyR

• forum hero
#751 Re: One for the surfers
June 30, 2009, 05:46:23 pm
ohh Andy,
it's all banter.

don't you know that all surfers on this site only surf heaving barrelling slabs, not the onshore mushy crap dipicted in these images....

Oh I see - my mistake - you were being funny - for a moment, I thought it was another tedious outdoor clique....
 :wave:

philo

• forum hero
#752 Re: One for the surfers
July 01, 2009, 03:11:46 am
Goatboater is really for Waveskis (Gay On A Tray) and would actually be a complement to many kayakers as Waveskis are a fair bit faster.

i just see them all as potential dangers in the water who have no concept of line up ethics.

ohh yes, i'll just sit a bit further out than the mal riders, they seem to be getting all the waves. i'll just get them before they do!!  :thumbsdown:
I don't see any surfers in Philo's photos - why all the kneejerk aggro?

there were surfers about half a mile down the shore but we made sure we were away from the crowd, only us in the water! was a right laugh anyways

AndyR

• forum hero
#753 Re: One for the surfers
July 02, 2009, 11:23:35 pm
ohh Andy,
it's all banter.

Oh I see - my mistake - you were being funny - for a moment, I thought it was another tedious outdoor clique....

Have you actually got any investment in the issue Andy? Kayaker/surfer? Or have you just decided to get all libertarian about something for the sake of it? It's obviously all banter. From my limited experience I've seen plenty of cliquey shit going on in the world of surfing, what we're writing here is hardly it.

I am wholly neutral on the matter - I do some sea kayaking and I do a poor imitation of surfing, both of these at highly punterish levels - I've simply never heard this before, so was genuinely surprised to read it, but that's just my ignorance of the cliques in watersports.  Obviously I am painfully aware of the various cliques in climbing as I've been doing it for just over 20 years, so shouldn't be too surprised that they exist elsewhere.  Maybe not having lived in the UK for 8 years has dulled my appreciation of banter.
Have fun.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#754 Re: One for the surfers
July 07, 2009, 06:32:56 am
Don't confuse sea kayaking with goatboating.

Also, anyone seen charts for E coast? (whistles).

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#755 Re: One for the surfers
July 07, 2009, 08:23:09 am
Yep. It's looking good for the East this coming weekend.  I'm in North Wales though partying at Wakestock  :alky:  :pissed:

granticus

• forum abuser
#756 Re: One for the surfers
July 08, 2009, 03:20:55 pm
 :o  Philo! The kind of sight that strikes fear into my heart..  Looks like you all had fun, just remember the closest to the peak is the rightful owner of the wave and repeatedly being snaked by goat boaters/kayakers has given you folks a bad rep in the surfing community..  I do occasionally surf with one but I make him walk to the beach 100 yards behind me and he's not aloud to speak to me until we've left the beach.  :P (He rides really well in his plastic tub but knows in his heart that he would rather stand up.)  My new subject for loathing has to be SUPs though...
  You got me sussed  8)

Swell alert - for the North East...I am feeling a weekend trip coming on to catch the last of it Friday and Saturday then nip down to support my mate who should be in the final of the BBCs oN Sunday(assuming he doesn't get injured again).  Question is where should i go? I have a penchant for heaving barrelling slabs, being a goof I like me lefts and i am seriouly not adverse to surfing over the hard stuff, slack beach breaks are not my thing, normally surf Croyde at low-tide and various reefs/points around North Devon.    A little local knowledge would be appreaciated...  I'm not suggesting giving up all your secrets but would love to know of any waves that would be on this weekend? 

granticus

• forum abuser
#757 Re: One for the surfers
July 08, 2009, 03:59:53 pm
Cheers for the PM FD :thumbsup:  I knew about that place beginning with S..... but the other spots you've mentioned sound like they're worth checking out, expect S.... will get busy at the weekend anyways..

granticus

• forum abuser
#758 Re: One for the surfers
July 08, 2009, 04:51:21 pm
Yeah! Who'd have thought it surf in Sssssssss   .......... Scarborough..  and Whitby Bay  Thanks a bunch FD... :P
If I needed that kind of knowledge I'd have looked at Magicseaweed or my Surf UK guide...which I just did.. These aren't secrets they're normal slack beachies, exactly NOT what I'm looking for :furious: 
Suppose you think you're  funny:lol:

philo

• forum hero
#759 Re: One for the surfers
July 08, 2009, 11:03:32 pm
some 6ft barrels today off the coast of sunderland. lots and lots of surfers in the water too, most ive seen

SA Chris

• forum hero
#760 Re: One for the surfers
July 09, 2009, 10:00:14 am
Sadly we are too close to the low and it's windy as fuck here still. Horrible mess in Aberdeen this am, spent an hour chasing peaks. Hopefully wind will drop off a bit tonight / tomorrow / Saturday.

granticus

• forum abuser
#761 Re: One for the surfers
July 09, 2009, 03:51:35 pm
Yep... Good swell hitting the NE at the mo but looks like it's gonna fade by the time we get up there not worth the mission...  However.....  SW is in for some swell this weekend, heading down for a Kernow raid instead..  Just gotta find those sheltered spots..

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
#762 Re: One for the surfers
July 09, 2009, 10:48:42 pm
Yeah! Who'd have thought it surf in Sssssssss   .......... Scarborough..  and Whitby Bay  Thanks a bunch FD... :P
If I needed that kind of knowledge I'd have looked at Magicseaweed or my Surf UK guide...which I just did.. These aren't secrets they're normal slack beachies, exactly NOT what I'm looking for :furious: 
Suppose you think you're  funny:lol:

well done Falling Down, there's too many tourists popping up to the North east to surf those places he seeks.

what happened to initative, grab some fuel and a map and find your waves. the north east isn't like the the west coast of OZ...........

philo

• forum hero
#763 Re: One for the surfers
July 10, 2009, 01:57:08 am
 :o 8-9 foot sets today absolute monsters in comparison to normal, get your arses north eastwards!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#764 Re: One for the surfers
July 10, 2009, 08:28:21 am
Oldfella is going to love you.

Still blown out shit for Aberdeen, although apparently Nigg cleaned up late last night, and produced a wave or two big enough for a mate to get his shoulder dislocated.

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
#765 Re: One for the surfers
July 11, 2009, 10:03:20 am
:o 8-9 foot sets today absolute monsters in comparison to normal, get your arses north eastwards!

yes get in that fucking plastic kazoo is paddle to Norway...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#766 Re: One for the surfers
July 12, 2009, 10:41:39 pm
Edited some surf clips with the Go Pro Camera together. Feel free to take the piss, but I am quite pleased with the results.

""
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 10:50:20 pm by SA Chris »

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
#767 Re: One for the surfers
July 13, 2009, 12:19:21 am
Philo, i don't care whether you're a 'surfer as well', good for you.
what i find annoying is that you  are telling people to look at areas where perhaps they wouldn't.

why is it that people need to be told where to surf nowdays????
if people like you want to tell people where the waves are, before you know it, all surf spots will be like the frantic self centred breaks in the south west and south wales.

give people who have the iniatitive & patience in learning to read charts, the reward of enjoying their efforts.

philo

• forum hero
#768 Re: One for the surfers
July 13, 2009, 02:00:09 am
i was merely adding upon other comments from people looking it up and giving feedback,
oh and its hardly an unknown spot never mind the vagueness of my general area of north-eastwards comment. theres more than just one person in the world

granticus

• forum abuser
#769 Re: One for the surfers
July 13, 2009, 04:02:06 pm
frantic self centred breaks in the south west and south wales
::)
I love the idea of a break being self centred...... 'I am Croyde, I am the finest beach break in all the land, my peaks are so shapely, my barrels so open, I am the greatest, how dare you question my superiority!'
Fact is there are quiet waves to be had in South Wales and the South West.
You just need to look at a map, get off the beaten track, check the charts and work it out for yourself OF :P  But i'm not gonna tell you where they are.  I smite thee back!
give people who have the iniatitive & patience in learning to read charts, the reward of enjoying their efforts.

Here's a different take.......  share knowledge and information with people you know trust and respect, call people into waves and smile when you go surf, accept that folks surf on all kinds of crafts including kayaks/goat boats and some are bluddy good at it, accept that everyone has to start somewhere and that you were once the kook that you now ridicule, generosity towards someone coming to your local area will be rewarded with generosity when you visit their yard, whoop at people who get good waves, somewhere down the line surfing lost it's 'mojo' with some people, for them it's time to find the stoke again, bring back the love.  :kiss2:

Or we could turn this thread into a competition to see who is the most 'core' surfer and continue in this negative vein.

Went to Cornwall this weekend with a friend and met up with some guys we met up here looking for shelter during big swells a couple of years ago.  We surfed a right hand point in a cove that they introduced us to, just the 4 of us in, need I say more. 8)

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
#770 Re: One for the surfers
July 14, 2009, 01:43:11 pm
being a hard core shredder,
i'm gonna share the love.
check out the J Bay comp, it's off its tits.
http://www.billabongpro.com/jbay09/live.php

Baron

• obsessive maniac
#771 Re: One for the surfers
July 17, 2009, 07:42:24 am
As a relative newcomer to surfing I have to admit that I really don't get localism. The only sensible reason I can think of for it is that spots only work at certain times and under certain conditions and that good waves at these places are therefore limited. Kinda like people crowding to try Brad Pitt on a freezing day in the winter. To claim you have some greater right to surf a beach than anyone else, to me, seems ludicrous.

Have heard some say that because they chose to live near their favourite break they have more right to surf there. Well, I chose to live 10mins drive from Stanage, as do millions of others, and I'm pretty sure if I tried to have  go at some Londoner for being their I'd quite rightly be told where to go.

As for respect. Of course. But I think respect cuts two ways. 

SA Chris

• forum hero
#772 Re: One for the surfers
July 17, 2009, 08:33:46 am
I can kind of see where it comes from. Guys who lie near a cetain break and surf it day in and day out could get understandably annoyed when it becomes overrun on good days and there is an invasion from far and wide. However, I think it all originates from the counter culture days of surfing in the 60s and 70s when surfing was originally perceived as an outsiders sport, but was then invaded by the mainstream. I think a lot of localism in the UK is from people who like to try and portray the image of being the "hard" local hotshot and fanning their egos.

One way or another it really sucks and I find the whole thing a bit of an embarrassment to the sport.

Have you sorted out your board dilemma gruff?

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#773 Re: One for the surfers
July 17, 2009, 11:08:33 am
OK let's try and put a few things to bed.

There is localism in surfing.  "You can't surf here, get the f*ck out of the water, go home". BAD, fact, period.  No one likes that stuff, there's no room for it in the sport or the culture.  We see very little of it in the UK thankfully and on the rare occaisions it does happen it's usually just ego stroking and can just be ignored.

Then there's fustration in the water or behaviour that's frowned upon that isn't as obvious.  This does need acknowledging and exploring a little because what sometimes gets interpreted as 'localism' is actually a genuine and legitimate reaction to an infraction of some of the unwritten and not-so-obvious rules of surfing.  As illustration....

Getting in the way - Paddling out to a peak and sitting on the inside in front of the take off or further down the line.  This happens to everyone of course but there are repeat offenders.

Pulling out of a takeoff on a wave that's well makeable - A relative beginner paddles for a wave who's got priority and just doesn't go, usually happens on slightly bigger days when commitment is needed.  If you are paddling, go for it and don't pull back as soon as it looks scary.

Paddling to the peak out of turn - Another common mistake, especially made by the newly competent surfer who's mastered the art of catching most waves and turning.  Catch a wave, ride it well, all flushed with excitement and paddle enthusiastically straight out to the peak for the next one. Whoops.  Should've have sat on the inside a while and let the others in the pack take their waves.  Climbers who have turned to surfing are notorious for this behaviour I think because of an ingrained tick mentality.  We have a bad rep in North Wales because of this...

These are all the equivalent of not cleaning boots, big tick marks, trying stuff that's way too hard, top roping hard sport routes on a tight rope and saying 'I did all the moves on x', dabs, standing on the matts close to the wall, using feet on a campus board.  All the stuff we laugh about on here and sometimes turn away sn**gering about at the crag.  That we then read about on the web when 'punters' talk about their visit to Malham, The Tor or the Plantation and say 'there were some locals who weren't very friendly'.

I've just re-read some of what I wrote and I probably sound like a right twat but I've sat in the water in North Wales, Yorkshire, Scotland, Indo, Spain and the Canaries with climbers turned surfers who have managed to rub people up without realising - me included when I first started out. 

:)

« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 11:16:51 am by Falling Down, Reason: Spelling »

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#774 Re: One for the surfers
July 17, 2009, 11:27:57 am
Oh and Oldfella is actually very nice... he's just a wind up merchant.

And in spite of what I wrote above, I'm very friendly and supportive in the water and out (I think)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal