UKBouldering.com

One for the surfers (Read 715521 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#575 Re: One for the surfers
January 08, 2009, 08:58:42 pm
any good beginner body boarding near kinsale south of Cork?

I'm planning some study leave in the area for sept time and i'm considering various recreational activities to plug in at the same time... ;D

Luckily i have stormriders a foot to my left......

Cork......

To the west -

Garrettstown (west of Kinsale)

Two beaches are seperated by a rock point; the east beach has anice right on a SW swell, which also gives good beach breaks that are ideal for beginners , while the west beach (Coakley's) works on any swell for E to W, with mainly beach breaks on an excellent right at the W end (sic).  There are two groynes in the of the beach that are dangerous whern covered with high water.

Fennels Bay (east of Kinsale)

A little reef that works on a SSE swell. Good hollow wave from 2-4ft. Exiting from the water can be difficult.

To the east -

Ardmore (east of Youghal)

This is a sheltered bay with waves generally half the size  of the prevailinf swell. It's good in stornm swell with N wind (very rare). Enjoy the picturesque seaside village.

Basically that coast has all sorts of breaks from Skibbereen as far as Tramore (which I can confirm is a good night out, which is fortunate as there were no waves when we passed through). It needs a bit more south in the swell than the W and N coast, but the Ring of Kerry and Dingle are not far away, and worth it for the scenery if nothing else.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#576 Re: One for the surfers
January 14, 2009, 02:59:24 pm
Hope that info I laboriously typed out for you is of some use fatdoc.

Not sure if this should be here or YYFY, but just had a great lunchtime surf session. Hooked a half dozen long peeling rights. Sun shining, warm wetsuit, sea not that cold yet, perfect loggable waves. Crazy busy for midweek in January though, must have been well over a dozen people in.

clm

• forum hero
#577 Re: One for the surfers
January 21, 2009, 06:48:26 pm
Yes!

Yes!

Fucking!

Yes!

Down with the Bic!
My first proper surfboard.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#578 Re: One for the surfers
January 21, 2009, 07:28:54 pm
Ha nice! I knew you were jealous, now its my turn! Porth Oer?

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#579 Re: One for the surfers
January 21, 2009, 08:38:12 pm
Nice board Clm.. Porth Oer christening too  :thumbsup:

SA Chris

• forum hero
#580 Re: One for the surfers
January 21, 2009, 10:26:53 pm
Nice clm, what dimensions? I believe I once smited you for Bic ownership. As i said elsewhere, the balance is now redressed.

clm

• forum hero
#581 Re: One for the surfers
January 24, 2009, 04:06:26 pm
6 foot fishcuit.  I know thats kinda long for a fish but i went and got a good wedge of advice from magic seaweed and they said dont step down too far.  They suggested something 6-2 to 6-4 and i was chasing a nice gulf stream speed dialler quad on ebay.  Lost the auction but this turned up and from reading up found it still should have plenty of float for someone as dire at surfing (and as skinny) as me.  I had no probs once up but need to spend a bit more time in the water to get a bit more paddle fitness.

clm

• forum hero
#582 Re: One for the surfers
January 25, 2009, 10:28:30 am
Ha nice! I knew you were jealous, now its my turn! Porth Oer?

You will have to buy new rubber before you have a turn on anything mate.

clm

• forum hero
#583 Re: One for the surfers
January 25, 2009, 10:33:51 am
Nice clm, what dimensions? I believe I once smited you for Bic ownership. As i said elsewhere, the balance is now redressed.

Ive not forgotten the negative karma chris.  the bic lives in the van for tiny surf days.  im keeping it for the day when i share a break with you.  ill hang way out back catching everything and fall of just when i arrive anywhere near you so you can get mullered by a flying plastic log. ;) :lol: :lol: Dont think ive spent all that time on a bic without completing a full apprenticeship in how to be a complete twat in the lineup :guilty:

negative karma for owning a plastic sufboard - wheres the emoticon for mock outrage?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#584 Re: One for the surfers
January 25, 2009, 05:51:35 pm
Hey Clm, do you go on surfing forums showing off your new bouldering gear?

;D

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#585 Re: One for the surfers
January 25, 2009, 07:42:53 pm
Who's THAT guy? And WHOSE the talented lensman?  ;D

SA Chris

• forum hero
#586 Re: One for the surfers
January 25, 2009, 09:20:46 pm
Ive not forgotten the negative karma chris.  the bic lives in the van for tiny surf days.  im keeping it for the day when i share a break with you.  ill hang way out back catching everything and fall of just when i arrive anywhere near you so you can get mullered by a flying plastic log.

I'll see your bic which you will be hanging way out back with and raise you my new 9ft 6 Epoxy longboard, used for hanging out way way out back. Perfect for catching waves before they even know they are waves. I'll wave on the way past.

Fish sounds about the right size. Mine is about 7ft.

granticus

• forum abuser
#587 Re: One for the surfers
January 27, 2009, 05:38:19 pm
 :bow:  All praise to Huey.. December through to January has been one epic swell after another down here.  I've almost considered getting a second wetsuit, for rotation purposes, so there is always a dry one to pull on!  Starting to get complacent about the whole thing, skipping classic days because there's another one on the way.  Surfed at pretty much every spot from Bude to Somerset at some point.  Surfed the coldest day of the year at low-tide BIG  :o  Sandymouth, inch thick ice on the steps down to the beach, heavy heavy shore break to negotiate on way out and in etc.. etc.. Stoked as you can get.. I reckon the last month or so has been the most consistent stretch of pumping surf for quite some time.  In again tommorow, Thursday's looking good, as is Friday (but skip for a boulder comp) and Saturday looking good too!!  The Firewire is well and truly broken in...  Bring it on

DaveC

• junky
  • Old skool...with emphasis on the "old".
#588 Re: One for the surfers
January 30, 2009, 10:43:10 am

Taken today at Shipstern Bluff, Tasmania. Looks like fun.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#589 Re: One for the surfers
January 30, 2009, 11:24:21 am
When I saw that double lip I knew it was shipstern. Wavespotter geek me.

Looks fun and terrifying at the same time.

clm

• forum hero
#590 Re: One for the surfers
February 07, 2009, 11:33:42 am
http://magicseaweed.com/video/flvplayer.php?id=7

The rodeo thing in the tube is awesome!! :jaw:

clm

• forum hero

Idol eyes

• junky
#592 Re: One for the surfers
February 12, 2009, 07:26:23 pm
New board.
Hobie.
9'6.
Midget Smith (deceased).

granticus

• forum abuser
#593 Re: One for the surfers
February 13, 2009, 11:32:42 am
Here it is!  Got married in October and this was delivered to me on the morning of my wedding, a gift from the wife.  A good starting point for married life me thinks...

FireWire 6''2 - Rounded Pin - Parabolic Balsa Rails - Goes like a rocket and holds it's rail splendidly in sucky fast barrelling surf.  I almost sacked the wedding to elope with it...

Next appointment with Mr C Royde - Low tide this arvo

granticus

• forum abuser
#594 Re: One for the surfers
March 17, 2009, 09:25:22 pm

The Wire and the Granticus in action on a little raid to Cornwall, Godrevy - 28th Feb.. 8)
and the forecast for the week ahead is flat, flat, flat...  It's good to have memories of days like this to tide you over.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#595 Re: One for the surfers
March 17, 2009, 10:58:51 pm
Nice little cover up, not bad for a spazz foot.

No line on the horizon here, to quite those irish tossers.

granticus

• forum abuser
#596 Re: One for the surfers
March 18, 2009, 02:35:34 pm
Nice little cover up, not bad for a spazz foot.
Errr! Cheers. Charts are looking guff for the foreseeable future but it is due to be dry for a long period too, time to surf some granite me thinks...

Idol eyes

• junky
#597 Re: One for the surfers
March 18, 2009, 05:58:23 pm
Fistral was pumpimg yesterday!!!!
Had to leave it to come up to work!!!

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#598 Re: One for the surfers
March 18, 2009, 06:16:13 pm
The Wire and the Granticus in action on a little raid to Cornwall, Godrevy - 28th Feb.. 8)

Very nice....

I got in for the first time for months on Sunday on the reef at Hells Mouth. Surprised myself to find I could still surf...

granticus

• forum abuser
#599 Re: One for the surfers
March 19, 2009, 03:28:38 pm
Fistral was pumpimg yesterday!!!!
Had to leave it to come up to work!!!
Nice little clean wave apparently but not what I would describe as pumpology. It's gotta be at least shoulder high.. :P
I got in for the first time for months on Sunday on the reef at Hells Mouth. Surprised myself to find I could still surf...
Yeah it's like riding a bike you know! Seen some choice piccies from Hell's Mouth recently, chunky hollow and crystal clear water,  looks class when it's working.  I'm guessing big swell from the S/SW, light winds or northerlies will make you folks happy?  The question is, is it worth a long trip up there or am I better off hitting S Coast spots down here that will fire in similar conditions??

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal