• Sheffield Boulder
#525 Re: One for the surfers
September 25, 2008, 12:13:29 pm

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#526 Re: One for the surfers
October 04, 2008, 11:17:25 am
And Slater wins his 9th tour! Unbelievable!

nash1

• menacing presence
#527 Re: One for the surfers
October 06, 2008, 11:49:02 am
Norway yesterday... beefy.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#528 Re: One for the surfers
October 06, 2008, 11:56:14 am
Whereabouts?

nash1

• menacing presence
#529 Re: One for the surfers
October 06, 2008, 12:55:28 pm
Kvassheim.
We windsurfed first (good laugh out in the swells you see in the background and nice waves on the point), then the wind dropped a bit and we surfed

nash1

• menacing presence
#530 Re: One for the surfers
October 06, 2008, 01:15:26 pm
Anyone on here know enough about board/fin theory to answer this??

Got a nice AM 6'4''. Pleased with it on the whole but now and again I catch a rail on the top turn. More so than with my other boards and i was wonderin if I could change the fins to help with this. Should I go smaller or larger, or is it a whole lot more complicated?

Alternatively of course, I could get better technique and more speed of the top, but changing the fins is cheaper!

Idol eyes

• junky
#531 Re: One for the surfers
October 06, 2008, 06:55:40 pm
"fore foot further back on the board" theory may be applicable here..

granticus

• forum abuser
#532 Re: One for the surfers
October 10, 2008, 11:02:09 am
Nash....  I don't think fins will make much difference..  Sounds to me like you're not carrying enough speed to the top of the wave.  This would indicate that it is, infact, your bottom turn that needs sorting out.  Focus on getting your bottom turn right this is where all your speed generation will come from and will prevent you from 'stalling' when your turning off the top. Smack that lip.

Well folks.. I just got married.. and to top it a friend popped round on the morning of the wedding with a gift from the missus.  It's 6"2 rounded pin, has 'parabolic' (whatever that means) balsa rails, epoxy construction and goes like grease lightening (Firewire Flexfire).  It is mint!  She really must love me or she just wants me out of the house on a regular basis. Happy days.  :thumbsup:

It will be unleashed Lyndaka this arvo.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#533 Re: One for the surfers
October 10, 2008, 11:22:46 am
Sounds mint, pics?. And congratulations!

Gagging for a surf, not been in the water since before hols (21 Sept).

Now fully kitted out for winter, just got new X-CEL Hooded Rashie, all kit now upgraded since last winter; X-CEL infiniti 5:4:3 (on sale last spring!), Alder 7mm boots, and X-CEL Lobster mitts. Plus van for getting changed in. Bring on winter swells.

Idol eyes

• junky
#534 Re: One for the surfers
October 11, 2008, 08:05:22 pm
Parabolic... balsa rails instead of a stringer... had a fire flex in Mexico... 6.6 squash tail... they are cool... wanted the 9.0,,, looked shit.... she wants the quad flex...

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#535 Re: One for the surfers
October 13, 2008, 12:01:04 am

granticus

• forum abuser
#536 Re: One for the surfers
October 13, 2008, 03:18:43 pm
Nice Photo Bubba!

Parabolic... balsa rails instead of a stringer...

Yes this is the case on the board but I'm sure that's not what parabolic means... See below..
The board is an epoxy sandwich affair which generally don't need stringers anyway.

Parabola=
n.   A plane curve formed by the intersection of a right circular cone and a plane parallel to an element of the cone or by the locus of points equidistant from a fixed line and a fixed point not on the line.

Parabolic is something with the above properties... That's so much clearer to me now.  :-\

Anyhooooo I surfed it in quality waves this weekend and it ripped!

Sounds mint, pics?. And congratulations!

Cheers! Will attempt to post piccies soon, of the board not the wedding?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#537 Re: One for the surfers
October 13, 2008, 03:20:53 pm
Why would I want to see pics of you in a monkeysuit, when there is a new board around?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#538 Re: One for the surfers
October 13, 2008, 03:27:03 pm

Parabolic... balsa rails instead of a stringer...

Yes this is the case on the board but I'm sure that's not what parabolic means... See below..
The board is an epoxy sandwich affair which generally don't need stringers anyway.

Parabola=
n.   A plane curve formed by the intersection of a right circular cone and a plane parallel to an element of the cone or by the locus of points equidistant from a fixed line and a fixed point not on the line.

Parabolic is something with the above properties... That's so much clearer to me now.  :-\

I think Parabolic stringers referse to anything that has stringers that aren't straight down the centre like in conventional boards; like parabolic skis (carvers) it doesn't necessarily meant the shape if the stringer is a geometric parabola.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#539 Re: One for the surfers
October 13, 2008, 03:52:08 pm
I think Parabolic stringers referse to anything that has stringers that aren't straight down the centre like in conventional boards; like parabolic skis (carvers) it doesn't necessarily meant the shape if the stringer is a geometric parabola.

Imposter! What have you done with the real SA Chris?

granticus

• forum abuser
#540 Re: One for the surfers
October 13, 2008, 05:07:52 pm
It's actually beginning to make proper sense... 

from a fixed line and a fixed point not on the line.

The parabola is the curve of the rails that whilst not being a straight line (like a stringer) starts and meets around the fixed points of the straight line.  ie. the curves that meet at the tail and nose...  this is in several dimensions though because of the 'rocker' of the board. 

Hows about in a monkey suit on the surfboard?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#541 Re: One for the surfers
October 13, 2008, 10:32:30 pm
Now that I would like to see. One step on from trash the dress

http://trashthedress.com/

Idol eyes

• junky
#542 Re: One for the surfers
October 14, 2008, 07:07:26 pm
So the retro "bow stringer" is parabolic without even knowing it... do i stand corrected without even realiseing it?
funny thing happened t'other day, surf pumping... set wave... took off... went quiet and all weird... straightened out.... guy hoots.... paddle outback... "fucking sick barrel mate"
caught my first tube and didnt even realise it...
debt collect that!

rodma

• forum hero
#543 Re: One for the surfers
October 21, 2008, 05:45:27 pm
Apologies as I'm sure this has been dealt with earlier in this thread, but I don't really have time to trawl through it.

I have only surfed a couple of times (the 2nd time ever on Friday past) and am keen to buy a board. Am I wasting my time buying a board made by BIC?

Oh, I'll mostly be in the water of the East coast of Scotland

Any help would be much appreciated

SA Chris

• forum hero
#544 Re: One for the surfers
October 22, 2008, 10:10:19 am
A personal opinion (apologies to BIC owners)

BICs and NSPs are great to start on; reasonably priced, tough and very stable, but if you plan on spending a fir amount of time in the water you will improve farly quickly and you will find them to be a bit lifeless and unresponsive, and will soon find yourself hankering after a more progressive board.

I would look for a traditional glassed minimal / funboard / hybrid shape, especially if you are learning on the east coast, where waves can be a bit gutless. The newer lightweight epoxy boards are good, but not great if there is any wind or chop on the surface.

Where were you out? If it was with C2C at Dunbar, have a chat with Tim, Josh or Sam and try out some boards from them, or ask them for advice.

rodma

• forum hero
#545 Re: One for the surfers
October 22, 2008, 10:43:51 am
A personal opinion (apologies to BIC owners)

BICs and NSPs are great to start on; reasonably priced, tough and very stable, but if you plan on spending a fir amount of time in the water you will improve farly quickly and you will find them to be a bit lifeless and unresponsive, and will soon find yourself hankering after a more progressive board.

I would look for a traditional glassed minimal / funboard / hybrid shape, especially if you are learning on the east coast, where waves can be a bit gutless. The newer lightweight epoxy boards are good, but not great if there is any wind or chop on the surface.

Where were you out? If it was with C2C at Dunbar, have a chat with Tim, Josh or Sam and try out some boards from them, or ask them for advice.

Thanks for your input

I had a feeling that was the case with BICs. Some of the online reviews of these boards are glowing  :shrug:

I was out in Cornwall as my dad moved there a long time ago and I thought it was about time that I visit. Had a lesson at polzeath on one of those foam topped ones (same type as I tried in East London many years ago) and had a really good time.

I'm definately more drawn towards a mini-mal type board and don't really mind paying extra for a quality product.

Do you think that C2C are a good bet then?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#546 Re: One for the surfers
October 22, 2008, 10:50:20 am
If you are east coast Scotland based, they are the only bet (unless you include Granite Reef here in Aberdeen, which I wouldn't), as far as trying out boards / lessons / gear hire. They are all sound guys, good knowledge, and run a good little operation.

Online reviews of boards are not worth the paper they are written on.

rodma

• forum hero
#547 Re: One for the surfers
October 22, 2008, 11:12:26 am
If you are east coast Scotland based, they are the only bet (unless you include Granite Reef here in Aberdeen, which I wouldn't), as far as trying out boards / lessons / gear hire. They are all sound guys, good knowledge, and run a good little operation.

Online reviews of boards are not worth the paper they are written on.

Excellent, have looked them up. Swell looking good for this Sunday  ;D

SA Chris

• forum hero
#548 Re: One for the surfers
October 22, 2008, 11:16:46 am
Might be OK, but forecast to be pretty windy too.

pm me an address and I will send you one C2C's weekly updates.

It's the Gathering of the Clans surf contest in Fraserburgh this weekend, might be good, usually quite festive.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#549 Re: One for the surfers
October 24, 2008, 09:34:10 am
ALLLRRRIIIGGGHHHTTTT!!!!! I'm now the owner of a surfboard. Mad props to Chris!

Shall I pay you now? Its fuckin mahoosive, feel like I'll be able to catch the tides. Plus I now know what my reach is off the ground... 7'8"!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal