UKBouldering.com

One for the surfers (Read 721354 times)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#500 Re: One for the surfers
September 02, 2008, 09:06:30 am
It'll be fine JB... It's a nice board and 7'10 is probably ideal.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#501 Re: One for the surfers
September 02, 2008, 01:02:35 pm
Cheers for the advice guys. Not sure it will fit in the car though! What's the ads and disses compared to something a bit shorter? I was looking at stuff more like 7'2"

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#502 Re: One for the surfers
September 02, 2008, 01:26:41 pm
Size wise with the front seat rolled back I can fit it into a 2 door Corsa in the passenger seat footwell, or diagonally in the boot of a Pug 306 estate with the 2 seats folded forward.

In general terms, the smaller you go the harder it will be get up on initally as it will be a bit more unstable and less floaty, but it will be more manouverable once you get better on it. Depends on how much frustration you are prepared to put up with and how much time you are prepared to dedicate to it early on vs feeling the board is holding you back once you start to progress. I surfed the board occasionally for the first couple of years, but have used it (on average) weekly since I moved to Aberdeen 4 years ago, and have only felt the need for a more manouverable board in the last year or so.

granticus

• forum abuser
#503 Re: One for the surfers
September 02, 2008, 04:27:07 pm
JB..... get a roof a rack!   Mind you at 5''8 I reckon you can get away with something a little shorter than 7''10.  As long as you have lots of volume you'll be fine.  A minimal style board at around 7"4 will hold your size (assuming your not of prop forward build) just fine.  Just think volume, plenty of width and depth (oo er).  I started surfing on a 7"6 and I'm 5"10, this was a fine starter board for me.  My 7''6 fits in my Renault Megs Hatch (I see you baby shaking that ass!) in a straight line back from parcel shelve onto dash board no problem. 

Don't get tempted to buy a little skinny stick just coz your short.  I've seen so many people with brand spanking new 6 to 6"4 boards in the line up wasting their time and energy attempting to learn to surf...  I just dropped to a 6'' waffer thin thruster this year and whilst it surfs very well, paddling is very difficult (you need to be super fit) and it needs some serious punch in the wave to work.  It won't surf in slop, slow waves or small waves at all.  When you have learnt to ride a longer board ie. you can paddle it, stand up, trim across a wave, bottom turn and top turn, then get a fish type board, twinnie or quad or a fat boy thruster, that is shorter say 6''8 ish, still with plenty of width and volume.  You'll be shredding it up in no time. 

Last but by no means least, if at all possible get out there in some clean surf...  1 to 2ft and clean (offshore wind) is perfect for learning... Onshore mush is OK initially when you are just mastering standing up in the whitewater.  However, getting your timing right, locking into a little wave and trimming across will come so much easier when it is clean. Have fun!

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#504 Re: One for the surfers
September 02, 2008, 04:35:39 pm
Cheers for the advice

Mind you at 5''8 I reckon you can get away with something a little shorter than 7''10.  As long as you have lots of volume you'll be fine.  A minimal style board at around 7"4 will hold your size (assuming your not of prop forward build) just fine.

That's what I was thinking - I'm fairly skinny. Don't worry, I've no intention of getting a short board, have borrowed them before and never got off one knee, whereas I was stood up on the first wave with a mate's bic minimal.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#505 Re: One for the surfers
September 02, 2008, 10:13:13 pm
Just been in the garage taking some pics for you and it's actually 7'8" x 21 3/4". Not sure where I got the 7' 10" from?

granticus

• forum abuser
#506 Re: One for the surfers
September 03, 2008, 02:37:17 pm
Sorry Chris... not trying to do you out of sale! ;)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#507 Re: One for the surfers
September 03, 2008, 09:19:29 pm
It's all good, if JB doesn't think it's right for him, I'd rather not sell it to him.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#508 Re: One for the surfers
September 06, 2008, 02:14:50 pm
salvatore don't surf.
italy.

Idol eyes

• junky
#509 Re: One for the surfers
September 06, 2008, 03:39:36 pm
Do not be decieved, you are a 9.0 + JB...ok?.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#510 Re: One for the surfers
September 06, 2008, 03:58:47 pm
:-[ sorry what do you mean? :-[

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#511 Re: One for the surfers
September 06, 2008, 04:01:11 pm
Yeah Pat, I'll get some giant wooden thing and come down to Cornwall, we can have hang ten competitions!

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#512 Re: One for the surfers
September 06, 2008, 04:22:19 pm
:-[ sorry what do you mean? :-[
oh sorry again i thought it was a reply to the vids.

Idol eyes

• junky
#513 Re: One for the surfers
September 09, 2008, 10:55:09 pm
Got one you can borrow star!
later vibes...

As for car trouble. 10.o fits nicely in a Mazda Eunos... so where there is a will theres a way, (ok, its a soft top!).

Idol eyes

• junky
#514 Re: One for the surfers
September 09, 2008, 11:01:18 pm
PS., itsa Gordon and Smith, tripple stringer
400 GBP
collect only
50/50 rails (reason for sale)
VGC...

PPS. Its the Jesus Classic Longboard comp ate Croyde This W.E.

PPPS. any one going, Its near Baggy...

granticus

• forum abuser
#515 Re: One for the surfers
September 10, 2008, 12:23:49 pm
Will be in the area... errr Coz I live here..  Very likely to be surfing and bouldering at some point (pun intended) throughout the weekend.

Looks like there is swell all weekend.
http://magicseaweed.com/Saunton-Croyde-Woolacombe-Surf-Report/7/detailedLongRange/uk/

Just a matter of getting some shelter from that damned NWesterly, mind you looks like it's fairly light wind at times, so should be classic..

PM me a shout if you wanna check out some of the fine bouldering to be had in ND.

Idol eyes

• junky
#516 Re: One for the surfers
September 12, 2008, 07:37:22 pm
Ahh, drat. looks like all the places are taken, so no room at the inn for the real Jesus... might still turn up,
Cribbers breaking today, fistrals 7ft and awkward... the bay is 5 and clean. saturday is gonna be classic.
Cool will turn up for the bouldering. freddy forefinger is feeling a little less fragile...
ps. virgin friendly boards are Eggs, Magic Carpets or i can fully see luke seawalker on a twinnie fish type board...

PatKingDebtCollection

• Yo ass is mine, sweet thang
  • idle idol
#517 Re: One for the surfers
September 13, 2008, 01:28:07 am
Classic Towan 3ft, 2, 4 hour session's either side of high tide.
3rd day running.
know what stoked means...

Know what "ripped off" means?

It grieves me to read read about you enjoying yourself on other peoples money.  :thumbsdown:

Pay us back you selfish twat.

;)

:furious:

robertostallioni

• forum hero
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 07:12:57 am by robertostallioni, Reason: general ineptitude »

SA Chris

• forum hero
#519 Re: One for the surfers
September 13, 2008, 12:40:17 pm
general ineptitude? Surfing?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#520 Re: One for the surfers
September 13, 2008, 09:05:52 pm
I might have to change my user name to SimonWilsonDebtCollection

SA Chris

• forum hero
#521 Re: One for the surfers
September 16, 2008, 12:16:45 pm
two very different sessions on the weekend - Friday night - big messy storm swell and knackered sandbars. I was out of my depth a bit and took a few good nailings on steep drops. Guess my reactions and timing are a bit out after the summer.

Sunday evening, nice mellow southerly - great longboarding fun, until it got dark. Nice waves, cool air, warm water. Autumn is here.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#522 Re: One for the surfers
September 16, 2008, 09:05:47 pm
Ireland (Ailieens near Lahinch) on Sunday morning....

I fixed Galpinos fin today... pics tomorrow.

ben

• obsessive maniac
#523 Re: One for the surfers
September 16, 2008, 09:13:14 pm
Weh Hey! Back in ND after raiding Kernow.  Scored Hayle rivermouth at dawn on Tues, shoulder high reeling punchy lefties and only 1 other in.  Big swell SW wind, apparently at the same time Gwithian was overhead but blown out mushiness.  Surfed small clean waves for the rest of the week at Gwithian and Perranporth.  Happy days.

So it must have been you I met at Carn Brea on the Friday, I was falling off Pond Wall endlessly at the time... 

I got back from 2 weeks in SW france on Sunday evening having not scored any particularly great waves, to be told it had been headhigh and offshore all day. Surfed hayle rivermouth before work at 7 on monday morning and was similar to your above description!

granticus

• forum abuser
#524 Re: One for the surfers
September 17, 2008, 05:53:48 pm
So it must have been you I met at Carn Brea on the Friday, I was falling off Pond Wall endlessly at the time... 

;D  Ah! Ha! Ben !! It was I scoping out Carn Brea on that fine greasy humid evening..  Good to hear you got the rivermouth on form, I thought it was pretty damn classic when I scored it!

Last week was epic.  Went something like this...  Sunday - bouldering at Lynmouth, Monday - Setting problems and bolting holds onto the new 40 something degree training board at the Mill, Tuesday - training on said board (finally something decent to train on in North Devon!), Wednesday am - Epic surf session at Lynmouth (proper epic), Wednesday night - training on said board again, Thursday am - even more epic surf at Lynmouth, Friday - Croyde, Saturday - sport climbing at Holcombe Quarries, Sunday - surfing at Putts on a super pumpy 15 second swell,  Monday - low tide Croyde barrel tastic, Tuesday am - swell's dead, longboarded at Wooly,  Tuesday eve - back to the board of justice........   :o  I need a rest.

Swell charts are now showing diddly squat...  Last chance for some DWS whilst there's no swell and the weather's good-  Berry Head on Friday!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal