#450 Re: One for the surfers
August 06, 2008, 02:55:39 pm
What do you lot reckon about this?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#451 Re: One for the surfers
August 06, 2008, 03:28:07 pm
Been discussed at length on surfing forums.

Therer are (as always) many sides to the story.

My thoughts;

(as an owner of one UK made glass fibre board, one SA made glass fibre board and one machine made Epoxy board from the east)

There are loads of shapers (some would say too many) and they vary in quality. Some no longer shape by hand, but rely on CNC machines, to do most of the shaping, so are in a way no better than machine produced boards in the east anyway. They rely on the reputation of having a "custom" board made, when in fact they are mass producing, and selling at custom prices. Hopefully if there is a squeeze then reputaion will win over and they will go under first. part of having a custom board made is being able to discuss what you want with the shaper and him hand crafting the board to your requirements. These shapers do not really give a toss about this and will try and convince you that the board you need is one they have made for you already.

It's not all about cost and quality, a lot of technology is going into these newer "pop-outs", allowing lighter and stronger boards to be made in factories. This technology requires bulk-production machinery, that is not available in the UK.

Also you could say it's part of the way of the world, and surf boards are going the way of skis, bikes, cars, tellys etc. In spite of this being a current news item, this is not something new, and has been happening for years.

granticus

• forum abuser
#452 Re: One for the surfers
August 07, 2008, 04:43:44 pm
so we could do with someone who knows what they're doing having a go this time.

Sounds like your problem is solved but some advice from someone who spends a lot of time repairing (botching) boards. 

Glassed in fins are great for riding but a pain to repair. 
If the fin is snapped (ie... the fin itself is broken) better to replace with a new one.  If this is the case I would recomend installing plugs for FCS or similar, then next time you have a snapped fin you can just whip it out and wack in a new one.  Regardless of this you will need to use a sharp knife to cut away laminations and generally clean up around the fin area.  If you intend to glass one back in > you'll need to fill any holes and allow to cure, then install the fin using fibreglass cloth and resin (this is easier said then done, step by step guides can be found!)...  The simplest way would deffo be to cut away and clean up, then fill, then drill (large drill bit) holes to drop FCS plug units into, fill around plugs to secure, then re-glass the area using cloth to reinforce.  Sand down to a nice smooth finish... Heh presto, you can now interchange fins... Same process works with lock box etc... 

Alternatively return the old wreck to the skip where you found it and go buy a pop out BIC or something, good fun for small days and beginners etc...  The cost of fin repair, if you're paying someone, won't be far off what a second hand pop out will cost you anyway.  It's a tricky job and one not many will be keen to take on.  (I normally get a bottle of decent red wine for repairing friend's boards but for a repair like this I'd expect a case!)

galpinos

• forum hero
#453 Re: One for the surfers
August 08, 2008, 10:32:47 am
Anyone on hear know of someone who could glass a fin back in and is based near Manchester?...

Whereabouts are you? I'm in the High Peak just outside Chapel en-le Frith and could do it for you if you drove to my place with board etc.

Wow, FD, that'd be cool. My missus lives in West Didsbury (as do I knd of at the weekends) and am out in the peak regularly so could drop it off. The fin was lost to the sea so once I've got my hands on a new one I'll be in touch if that's ok. I've pm'd you.

Cheers!

galpinos

• forum hero
#454 Re: One for the surfers
August 08, 2008, 10:37:56 am

Granticus,

I guess FCS are the way to go but both mine and my missus board are from a by-gone era before then I think! I realise it would maybe a good idea to ditch the board for a pop out but I'm loath to throw things away that can be repaired. Seems a real shame. The missus really like it as well, much prefers it to the bic's she's tried.

As it's the centre fin, I guess I'd have to drill into the stringer to fit FCS plugs? Is this cool? Will it shag the board?

On another point, anyone have an opinion on O'Shea boards? Quite liked the look of a fat boy flyer for a first shortboard that goes in mushy/small waves. Good idea? My board knowledge is pretty poor.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#455 Re: One for the surfers
August 08, 2008, 02:16:23 pm
Anyone on hear know of someone who could glass a fin back in and is based near Manchester?...

Whereabouts are you? I'm in the High Peak just outside Chapel en-le Frith and could do it for you if you drove to my place with board etc.

Wow, FD, that'd be cool. My missus lives in West Didsbury (as do I knd of at the weekends) and am out in the peak regularly so could drop it off. The fin was lost to the sea so once I've got my hands on a new one I'll be in touch if that's ok. I've pm'd you.

Cheers!

You won't be dropping it off. You'll be mending it yourself under my supervision so you know what to do when it happens again.  :)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#456 Re: One for the surfers
August 08, 2008, 02:41:13 pm
You always want the be a guru didn't you?

galpinos

• forum hero
#457 Re: One for the surfers
August 08, 2008, 02:45:48 pm

You won't be dropping it off. You'll be mending it yourself under my supervision so you know what to do when it happens again.  :)

Even better! Got a fin in the mail. Genius! Thanks. ;D

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#458 Re: One for the surfers
August 08, 2008, 03:12:00 pm
You always want the be a guru didn't you?

;D  Give a man a fish etc. etc.

granticus

• forum abuser
#459 Re: One for the surfers
August 08, 2008, 04:58:10 pm
As it's the centre fin, I guess I'd have to drill into the stringer to fit FCS plugs? Is this cool? Will it shag the board?

Yep! Drilling the stringer is not a problem.. it is normal practice for FCS plugs...  Sounds like you're gonna be taken through the process with Mr FD Miagi  ..... 'wax on wax off'.....Let us know how it goes...

Love the fact that you intend to keep the old girl rolling!

On another point, anyone have an opinion on O'Shea boards? Quite liked the look of a fat boy flyer for a first shortboard that goes in mushy/small waves. Good idea? My board knowledge is pretty poor.

O'shea boards are of a good standard no problems with that..  If you are dropping down to a shortboard something of the fatboy flyer ilk will be perfect.  You'll still need some volume in your board and the fatboy will provide this.  Don't be tempted to drop down to something that's 6'' or less and wafer thin, it will be too much too soon and you'll have a hard time of it.  I wouldn't go more than 1ft shorter than what you're currrently riding and make sure you still have some volume in whatever you get.  If you can get to try some different boards out even better..

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#460 Re: One for the surfers
August 08, 2008, 05:40:22 pm

On another point, anyone have an opinion on O'Shea boards?

O'Shea boards are good.. I've been surfing North Wales since the mid 80's so have seen them develop from a garage outfit to full blown surf industry.  Graniticus is on the money about not being too hasty to go to a shortboard as you'll miss out on a lot of waves and a lot of learning. 

Fat Boy Flyers are OK but in some respects they are neither here nor there..  (This is just my opinion mind) FBF's were invented in the early to mid 90's when the choice of boards was limited and the shortboards were high performance oriented (narrow and thin and unrideable most of the time - I wasted many hours on one) so FBF's filled a spot in the market that was needed by the heavier and less regular surfers who didn't want to ride a longboard or mini-mal. 

These days there are so many options in that area of wide, higher volume boards you have much more choice.  Personally, I'd point someone who was feeling their way into surfing toward a 2+1 (big center fin, small side fins) performance mini-mal, an eggy single fin like a Magic Carpet type of thing or a bonzer type that Granticus was paddling last week. 

Anyway, come up and get your board fixed...

underground

• forum hero
#461 Re: One for the surfers
August 08, 2008, 11:43:57 pm
Just had a 3 week Lleyn bonanza, weather was dodgy but we had a single afternoon at Porth Oer when the wave was getting huge (by our standards) and the locals were all in the water - it was messy, but big and regular, and the waves were going all the way onto the beach (me gyal almost took out a couple of dog walkers with the body board).

The bad bit was on the car park, tosspot wankers racing across it in Minis with music blaring, mouthing off and then laying on the beach playing guitars (but really, not able to very well) . Like they'd just watched Endless Summer and snorted a few lines of banger.

Put me right off- didn't want to associate with these little cunts for a start, and in the end didn't want to get in the water. Thought I'd get mullered on the body board, but of course Sade proved me wrong. last year she couldn't go in due to being mega preggers though, so I didn't mind too much.

I wasn't remotely psyched to bodyboard - but later wanted to be in the water, but not arsed about just rolling about on a bodyboard. I wanted to be out there with a big surfboard, just trying to surf, failing, but enjoying it loads more,  like every time I've borrowed one. Damn. Can't justify the expense so next year I might leave the bodyboard and forget about it altogether.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 10:16:06 pm by underground, Reason: reordering the comment about guitar playing »

curly ben

• addict
#462 Re: One for the surfers
August 11, 2008, 12:31:49 pm
hmmm any of you chaps seen the channel islands flick flow? Cant say i am a massive fan, however i am trying to track down the song used for currens montage.. cant get the tune outta my head!!! incubus bloc party??

Idol eyes

• junky
#463 Re: One for the surfers
August 12, 2008, 06:00:25 pm
Fistrals firing at five foot!
The bay is OK!
Rip Curl Board Masters was Party Party,
just seen some pictures of The Cribber breaking last month.
Its been a great week end down ere!

nash1

• menacing presence
#464 Re: One for the surfers
August 14, 2008, 08:13:55 am
Last night, out of the blue it all turned into a session of dreams. Ahhhh. Love it when it happens like that, no expectations, and suddenly head high glass, sunny, warm water and 2 people out. A couple of hours of heaven...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#465 Re: One for the surfers
August 14, 2008, 08:52:26 am
Nice, where were you in?

Looks like a nice small longboard wave this am in Aberdeen, not got car and board with me, as out on the piss tonight. Bugger.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#466 Re: One for the surfers
August 14, 2008, 10:54:23 am
hmmm any of you chaps seen the channel islands flick flow? Cant say i am a massive fan, however i am trying to track down the song used for currens montage.. cant get the tune outta my head!!! incubus bloc party??

Can't say I know the tune and I'm sure you'll find it if you Google hard enough but there's a superb diatribe by Derek Hynd in a copy of The Surfers Journal damning Flow for re-writing history which makes interesting if you can find it. If I can I'll scan it and put it up on here.... Whilst Flow isn't all its cracked up to be Curren is God IMHO

nash1

• menacing presence
#467 Re: One for the surfers
August 14, 2008, 11:30:08 am
Nice, where were you in?

Over here in Norway, spot called Byberg, rocky lefts. Sore ribs today I can tell ya!!  :thumbsup:

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#468 Re: One for the surfers
August 14, 2008, 12:44:59 pm
Smart lad like you could fashion a fin for himself, what?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#469 Re: One for the surfers
August 14, 2008, 12:55:58 pm
I have seen a fin fashioned from a plastic breadboard, but loked like a lot of time and effort.

The left / right / centre fin set from FCS really annoys me. I have had to but a set in the past when I broke just one (centre one too). I have the other two if you want to buy one for a reduced rate? I personally don't think having a left or right one in the centre would make that much difference to the average surfer( I never noticed), and you could take a file / some paper to it if you want it more even.

As far as the new shapes, sizes and materials go, apparently they do make some difference, but I have thus far avoided them as I don't really understand and doubt I would tell any.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#470 Re: One for the surfers
August 14, 2008, 01:27:56 pm
George Greenough (inventor of the knee board, surf mat and general all round water craft wizard) is the man to read up on if you are remotely interested in fins.  I was very sceptical of the different types, profile and placement of fins until I started to ride a single fin egg and a longboard and I was staggered by the difference in handling style and performance when varying the type of fin and it's placement in relation to rail and tail.  My shortboards and mini-gun are all fitted with lokbox rather than FCS because of the ability to move fins up and down in relation to the tail and each other and the lokbox fitting itself is almost as solid as a glass-in in comparision with FCS.

There are some great articles out there on the internet and in the better quality surf magasines that explain the why's and wherefore's of fin placement and hydrodynamics.  What's interesting is that most of the foils and flex characteristics that are currently in use come from two sources; Greenough's research into the flex and fin profile of pelagic fish and a US airforce aerodynamics manual for aircraft wing design.

I've made some of my own wooden/glass fins which was fun (until one fell off  ;D)

To answer your question, sticking one of the side fins in won't do really as you need the foil on both sides to generate drive and you'll find the board pulling the foiled side if you use a side fin. If you are 'puntering' then I wouldn't bother going for a glass set of FCS fins but just buy a set plastic G5 or G3's.  PM me as I might have a couple of spares kicking around somewhere...

granticus

• forum abuser
#471 Re: One for the surfers
August 14, 2008, 02:39:25 pm
Last night, out of the blue it all turned into a session of dreams. Ahhhh. Love it when it happens like that, no expectations, and suddenly head high glass, sunny, warm water and 2 people out. A couple of hours of heaven...

Ahhhh! Yes this is what it's all about.  I had a similar experience last night too, a bit of local knowledge and a bit of gut feeling.  Plenty of swell around yesterday down here (like 15ft + worth of swell) but combined with onshore gales.  However, there is this little left had reef break, right up in the Bristol Channel on the Exmoor Coast in Somerset.  Those in the know will understand where I'm talking about (known as Lister's), it normally only fires up in the winter but last night it turned on for us few lucky people.  Perfect powerful peeling lefts with mini barrels galour.  All smiles in the water and the sun even came out!

I just picked up a set of FCS X-rated fancy pants fins with honeycomb centre and spangly graphics from Saltrock £15 a set, they're still selling them. It is good to have a full set of spares, think how gutted you'd be if you are having an all time session and it's ruined by losing a fin which you can't replace.  I always have a spare set in my car for emergencies.  I'd never spend £70 on fins and was dubious about the difference these new generation fins make.  However, the 'feel' of my board is totally different and noticeable on this set.  The board 'projects', glides smoother, carries speed through turns better and holds a more powerful turn better without spinning out.  It even sounds different!?  But heh don't spend £70 buy some basic plastic jobs or seek out a bargain.  See below!

http://www.surfline.co.uk/index.asp?level1=HARDWARE&level2=FINS+%26+WAX

SA Chris

• forum hero
#472 Re: One for the surfers
August 14, 2008, 03:38:30 pm
I didn't need a new set of fins, but went for the Grenades, as they are the most ordinary looking. Cheers for the link.

granticus

• forum abuser
#473 Re: One for the surfers
August 14, 2008, 04:05:40 pm
No worries Chris.  The better half was dead against the purchase of the one's with ladies on, besides which, I thought I might look a bit of a knobber with those fins on.  I went for the bomb/skull graphics.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#474 Re: One for the surfers
August 18, 2008, 08:47:35 am

To answer your question, sticking one of the side fins in won't do really as you need the foil on both sides to generate drive and you'll find the board pulling the foiled side if you use a side fin. If you are 'puntering' then I wouldn't bother going for a glass set of FCS fins but just buy a set plastic G5 or G3's. 

Surely it depends on what level you surf at and what board you are riding. I bust the centre fin of my old minimal and could only get a spare left fin a amte had. Rode the board for avout a week and couldn't tell the difference.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal