UKBouldering.com

One for the surfers (Read 721505 times)

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#325 Re: One for the surfers
February 29, 2008, 06:28:27 pm
Fuck me! Giant brown barrels - welcome to Yorkshire! That is a punter bottom left, right?
If it is i hope he has mastered the duck dive!  :o

AndyR

• forum hero
#326 Re: One for the surfers
February 29, 2008, 07:26:42 pm
Fuck me! Giant brown barrels - welcome to Yorkshire! That is a punter bottom left, right?
Ha - looks like a giant wave of Bisto!

Idol eyes

• junky
#327 Re: One for the surfers
March 11, 2008, 06:20:36 pm
Back in the Briney, Big waves, going to go mad....
No surfboards, just sold my fire wire Flexi 6.6, And going to invest in a 9.0 Firewire squash tail...
Or a Chris jones 10.2
Watching the bay close out, close out, close out, then someone snatches a peeling barrel, Fistral is suicide, Missing Mex already made some great friends... recommend it to everyone, Doing the same trip next year 4 shore... Got details of some amazing Rooms and hotels. Be well...

Idol eyes

• junky
#328 Re: One for the surfers
March 13, 2008, 02:48:47 pm
Fistral is fireing five foot barrels, Its fucking cold though!!!

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#329 Re: One for the surfers
March 13, 2008, 10:31:28 pm
Day 3 in Barbados..

Monday morning on my first day at Soup Bowls I broke two leashes and had my rash vest ripped off and lost to the sea - welcome back Ben.  The swell has dropped to 6ft with a short period so its pretty choppy and messy but still nice to be out in boardies and sunscreen.  I got nailed in the face with fire coral this morning whilst bodysurfing on the West Coat so I've been rinsing my pretty visage with my own piss and necking Advil and Guiness since lunchtime. The forecast is for more trade swell until Tuesday next week when a big Northerly (9ft+ @ 17 seconds) is due to roll in so I'm looking forward to surfing the West Coast spots over the Easter Weekend.

Adios hombres..

Idol eyes

• junky
#330 Re: One for the surfers
March 14, 2008, 05:30:39 pm
Is Freights on the west coast? do you know Mitch, from the Gun Club? have a good one....
Fistral, 1 ft and very clean,,,,
Want to go to El Salividor
Falling, Other peoples piss is better for you, thats what my misses sez anywaze.
"I can take about an hour, on the tower of power, as long as I gets a little golden shower"... name that tune...

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#331 Re: One for the surfers
March 16, 2008, 10:29:24 pm
Freights is South Coast, below the airport and a good longboard wave. We don't know Mitch as we tend to stay at Bathsheba away from the busy South but know Mark, Hoggy and other locals here on the East Coast.  It's been small and choppy the last couple of days but it still beats cold water and working....

Idol eyes

• junky
#332 Re: One for the surfers
March 17, 2008, 12:10:14 pm
Her brother is comming over tonight, look out, big Ben Baird is about!

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#333 Re: One for the surfers
March 18, 2008, 10:32:21 pm
The forecast for the next three days is mental... Thursday looks like 12ft at 17 seconds... time to seek shelter on the West Coast.

Idol eyes

• junky
#334 Re: One for the surfers
March 20, 2008, 09:38:06 pm
Biggest swell on record they reckon! Parlours is going to be the main one, going to hook up to smokeys web cam at Bathshebas 2moro, Ben and Matt Capell n co are all out to hit this, they going off b4 they left!!!

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#335 Re: One for the surfers
March 24, 2008, 02:46:53 pm
The East Coast was unrideable from Wednesday night through to Saturday lunchtime.  Bathsheba bay was closing out completely way outside of Tent Bay, Parlors and Soup Bowl with huge sucking monsters.  Barclays Park further North turned into an enormous never before seen Left Hand Point Break that could have been ridden with a tow board had there been anywhere safe to launch a jet ski.  The pic below shows Bathsheba on Thursday morning....

The West Coast was going off from Wednesday to Saturday... more pics and a full trip report sometime this week. We are flying home tonight....  :(

Idol eyes

• junky
#336 Re: One for the surfers
March 25, 2008, 10:56:18 am
Yeah, Been on a downer since we have been back!!!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#337 Re: One for the surfers
March 28, 2008, 10:10:12 am
Managed one post work session before clocks change. Got in Wednesday nght, shitty and high tide when we got in, but got better as the tide dropped. Really learning to love the Fish, got some good lefts on it. New X-Cel 5:4 wetty and 3 finger gloves are the shit. Only got cold changing afterwards in the dark. 

Idol eyes

• junky
#338 Re: One for the surfers
March 29, 2008, 10:43:49 am
Last two days have been allright!!! woke up to The Cribber pounding the rocks this morning,it cross shore should get a bit better if the wind backs down, tis 7 ft at Fistral, and about 5ft in the bay!!! bit cross shore. Its still fackin cold though!!!

Idol eyes

• junky
#339 Re: One for the surfers
March 30, 2008, 10:23:50 am
Sat, 4ft too offshore!!! good for nose riding, did an off the top, and the board just flew away!!! Cribber is still on...

granticus

• forum abuser
#340 Re: One for the surfers
March 31, 2008, 02:47:54 pm
Yesterday (Sunday) evening just after low (if it can be described as that!) tide..  North Coast, Exmoor .. Devon.  You all know the spot.....  boulder bottom left hand point break!  (Haven't been in for weeks, very focused on bouldering at the mo...)  Sun was shining, epic sunset and to top it all wind turns straight off shore...... perfection peeling down the reef like a machine....  As you dream this spot to be and what a back drop when you're waiting on your wave.  Straight in my mate takes off on one and disappears for ages...... before appearing back in the line up with the biggest grin on his face...  "I think that's the longest wave I've ever had!"...  I lost count of the number of turns I did on my first wave!  Session continued in this manner with only the occasional shut down.  My final wave just went on and on and on.  It felt like the right moment to get out and besides I couldn't face another long paddle back round to the line up!  Just thought I'd share the stoke of when it all comes together.  The bouldering at this spot is superb as well...  Good times!   :thumbsup:

SA Chris

• forum hero
#341 Re: One for the surfers
March 31, 2008, 03:25:34 pm
Aberdeen was producing on a good southerly swell yesterday, good for the regular footers for a change. Nice sunny weather too.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#342 Re: One for the surfers
March 31, 2008, 06:45:19 pm
Good to see some waves coming in when the clocks change. Always feels like turning a corner into Spring... I didn't surf mind but it's only 40 days 'til I go to Indo  :)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#343 Re: One for the surfers
March 31, 2008, 09:20:54 pm
FD shout if you are up this way any time between now and then. Would love to do an Indo trip.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#344 Re: One for the surfers
April 01, 2008, 01:43:44 pm
Actually me and Mrs FD might be up over the weekend of the 12th (wknd after next) and I'll be there until the 18th.  Dave has one of my boards in storage and I'll bring a wettie depending on the forecast. 

SA Chris

• forum hero
#345 Re: One for the surfers
April 01, 2008, 02:05:00 pm
Cool, let me know.

Idol eyes

• junky
#346 Re: One for the surfers
April 03, 2008, 08:31:09 am
Bustin down the door, Rabbit, Good Book!!!

nash1

• menacing presence
#347 Re: One for the surfers
April 03, 2008, 11:48:37 am
Tried that there stand-up paddle surfing last night for the first time. I have windsurfed for over 20 yrs and surfed for 14 years and was expecting it to be a breeze. Er... NO. Firkin desperate. Total newbie stage. It was a really nice day 4-5ft glassy, and even sunny. Perhaps a bit big, but I paddled out on my belly with the paddle under me. Wobbling around out back was kind of ok (fell in about every 2 mins), but steering and turning to get on a wave was gnarly and trying to steer an 11'6'' when on the wave was a giggle. All in all, can't be arsed to go back to a newbie stage in another sport. I'll stick to surf and windsurf. 
Just thought I'd let you know if anyone else was thinking of becoming the new Lard Laird Hamilton. 

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#348 Re: One for the surfers
April 03, 2008, 12:19:13 pm
I watched a couple of guys in Barbados stand up paddle surfing who were pretty good at it and coping well with 4 to 5 ft conditions and doing some nice drop-knee with paddle turns.  But I'm not entirely convinced by it to be honest...

I can see the attraction in certain places; in Waikiki for example there are about a dozen breaks from Diamond Head up to Ala Moana's and a lot of the old surfing tradition there is to start at Diamond Head and paddle North catching a ride at each break.  I did this one day on a big open ocean paddle board that a friend lent me and it was great fun, tiring and going from break to break means you aren't hogging the waves.  There's also outrigger canoeists suring out there too so someone doing the stand-up paddle boarding is kind of a development from the longboarding/waterman tradition and would allow one to link up rides between reefs like the old beach boys used to do with their Blake era hollow boards.

However, I can't think of many (any?) places in the UK where there's a similar break topography and whilst I'm not advocating water craft fascism I just think a stand-up paddle board in the UK is a bit kooky.  Like going clean aid climbing at Millstone or wearing a Homer Simpson tie at work...  :shrug:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#349 Re: One for the surfers
April 03, 2008, 12:34:00 pm
Like going clean aid climbing at Millstone  :shrug:

Whats that you say?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal