UKBouldering.com

One for the surfers (Read 715764 times)

Idol eyes

• junky
#300 Re: One for the surfers
February 07, 2008, 09:52:16 pm
Bit of a weird week, Solid south swell and a north westerly met and a new reef come out of nowhere, it was a weird sucky barrel like mutant, so we me and a goatboater paddled out to it (its offshore). convinced him it was a playboat wave, he got worked, and we bailed.
Want to start paddle boarding....

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#301 Re: One for the surfers
February 14, 2008, 03:03:54 pm
East Coast this weekend was truly awesome. Low tide was unfavourably early but my mate and me had one of the points to ourselves for a few hours. 8-10 ft beasts rolling in  :jaw:and a backdrop of snow covered fields made for a great mornings surf, if a little terrifying. The afternoon was a slightly more friendly 3-5ft at south bay.
I knew it would be good, I was away.

Curly ben, get yourself a decent wettie, and keep watching the charts.

Idol eyes

• junky
#302 Re: One for the surfers
February 18, 2008, 12:09:11 am
Surfed El Faro today, in Nayrit (Saluilita).
5ft long rt hand point break, the first right hander of the trip.
been surfing The Ranch also with totall Legends, any one heard of Corky? me neither, the septics worship him.... also The Tank, all loggers...

curly ben

• addict
#303 Re: One for the surfers
February 18, 2008, 08:22:09 pm
tasty pics dangereux.. is that really east coast!? man im impressed. SA i have got myself a decent wettie. im not sure how my fingers and toes will react to ocean temps! ive benn used to boardies and sweating in the water.In training in norway ice climbing at the mo. Back in sheff for march... any surfers in sheff want a lift or company PM? I am badly missing the sea

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#304 Re: One for the surfers
February 19, 2008, 01:00:13 am
Surfed El Faro today, in Nayrit (Saluilita).
5ft long rt hand point break, the first right hander of the trip.
been surfing The Ranch also with totall Legends, any one heard of Corky? me neither, the septics worship him.... also The Tank, all loggers...

Corky Carroll ? Yeah - he held the crown for a while in the late sixties.  Sounds like you're having a good trip.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#305 Re: One for the surfers
February 19, 2008, 08:53:08 am
tasty pics dangereux.. is that really east coast!? man im impressed. SA i have got myself a decent wettie. im not sure how my fingers and toes will react to ocean temps! ive benn used to boardies and sweating in the water.In training in norway ice climbing at the mo. Back in sheff for march... any surfers in sheff want a lift or company PM? I am badly missing the sea

Mate, you will need boots and gloves at this time of year, and a hood.

I just got some of these and they are so good. http://www.surfstation.co.uk/acatalog/5mm_3finger_gloves_.html

curly ben

• addict
#306 Re: One for the surfers
February 20, 2008, 04:37:12 pm

I just got some of these and they are so good. http://www.surfstation.co.uk/acatalog/5mm_3finger_gloves_.html

bloody hell those things look crazy. heard good things about the brand tho..You could deffo do some damage with those!

Idol eyes

• junky
#307 Re: One for the surfers
February 20, 2008, 07:50:44 pm
Yeah, Corky Carroll.
Just read another good book. Big Drop, by one of our own John Long,,, big wave stories...
Surfed Sayulita on a good 4ft swell, back at Salidita, sold my Stewart (Gutted), and bought an ultra lite 9.0 (yeah).
Nayrit has some good Granite...

curly ben

• addict
#308 Re: One for the surfers
February 21, 2008, 05:47:07 pm

Is it worth getting boots and gloves from the same company as wetsuit? 

SA Chris

• forum hero
#309 Re: One for the surfers
February 21, 2008, 06:16:05 pm
have heard they are pretty good, but not used one myself.

Need to be a 5/3 or so. Wetsuits are like rockshoes; try on loads, a good fit is as important as a good make.

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#310 Re: One for the surfers
February 22, 2008, 03:28:59 am
I'm not much of a surfer (I stick to my body board - I'm getting used to the shouts of 'Why din't ya stand up ya fackin' sponger") but it looks good here at the w/e

http://www.coastalwatch.com/camera/cameras_large.aspx?cam=3900&state=NSW&t=8:51:58%20AM&camName=Maroubra

"Forecast issued 12.30pm Wednesday, 20th February, 2008.

Short Forecast: Thursday ENE swell 2 – 3ft rising to 3 – 4ft later with SSE winds. Further rise to 4 – 6ft Friday with light winds.

An epic ENE groundswell on track for this weekend.
As discussed in previous forecasts this presents us with an ideal scenario for Sydney and the South Coast; the swell producing winds will remain well offshore, spanning much of the central and north-eastern Tasman Sea with, with a broad belt of twenty to twenty five knot winds compounded by stronger thirty five to forty knot winds close to the centre of the storm.

The head of the fetch is centred about 900 kilometres ENE of Sydney and the South Coast – that’s long enough to allow the swell to get well organised into orderly lines without undergoing significant erosion.

The resulting swell should be solid but not large enough to overwhelm many east facing beaches along the coast so there well be no shortage of rideable options, especially considering the other key factor – local winds – are expected to be about as good as you could hope for, thanks to a large frontal system tracking beneath the continent on Friday and Saturday.

This significant area of low pressure will eventually evolve into a swell producing system in its own right early next week, but before this occurs we’ll see a cold front pushing eastward across the state generating a strong WSW change on Saturday morning, leading in a moderate westerly flow across the NSW coast that should persist throughout Sunday.

The end result is three and a half days of excellent surf preceding the arrival of a SSE change on Monday afternoon, blowing out leftover E swell in the three foot range"

SA Chris

• forum hero
#311 Re: One for the surfers
February 22, 2008, 08:43:24 am
FD, not sure you got pic up properly.

Carnage, sounds as good as it gets. I expect carnage at busier breaks. Time for you and controlfreak to work the noodle arms.

Make the step from sponge to surfboard. I did a few years back and have never regretted it.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#312 Re: One for the surfers
February 23, 2008, 11:39:28 am
Yorkshire.... a couple of weeks back.  Check the surfer in the bottom left for scale.

Good huh?

we can't see that image :)

looking at the link it's inside your mailbox!

Could you do me a favour and delete the link and I'll repost...

Ta

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#313 Re: One for the surfers
February 23, 2008, 12:11:36 pm
done...

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#314 Re: One for the surfers
February 26, 2008, 12:38:21 pm

Tried again.... (Hope it works this time) A Yorkshire Secret Spot taken the same day that Dangereux' pics were...

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#315 Re: One for the surfers
February 26, 2008, 12:54:48 pm
Jeez  :o

SA Chris

• forum hero
#316 Re: One for the surfers
February 26, 2008, 01:24:43 pm
Shit the bed. Crazy.

Dangereux

#317 Re: One for the surfers
February 26, 2008, 02:00:59 pm
 :o indeed. What time of day was that? I know quite a few spots between scarborough and middlesbrough but are mainly low - mid tide spots.
We did go for a walk before getting back in for the afternoon session and saw an awesome looking left that looks a similar size to your beast but no-one was on it. It did have a monstrous walk or paddle to get to it tho.

For some ridiculous international rhino's www.billabongxxl.com has some Ireland too.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#318 Re: One for the surfers
February 26, 2008, 02:20:20 pm
Fuck me! Giant brown barrels - welcome to Yorkshire! That is a punter bottom left, right?

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#319 Re: One for the surfers
February 26, 2008, 02:30:14 pm
It's a low-mid tide venue - pretty well known for a secret spot.  I've ridden it a few times; never bigger than half the size than in that particular shot mind you but even when it's smaller it's still class A.  When it's on; it is (like many others that grace our shores) a truly world class wave, up there in the top 50 but, as with many UK spots, the swell window is so narrow that it is often weeks between decent swells.

I didn't take the picture - my mate who is friends with the guy in the bottom left sent it over so I'm not sure what time it was taken... I think was the 2nd feb when that hefty swell hit the East Coast.

Just goes to show that we do get decent surf though eh?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#320 Re: One for the surfers
February 26, 2008, 03:17:53 pm
the swell window is so narrow that it is often weeks months between decent swells.

Just goes to show that we do get decent surf though eh?

Yes, occasionally. Sadly pretty few and far between for the East Coast.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#321 Re: One for the surfers
February 27, 2008, 11:06:18 am
What these pictures don't really show is just how fast, violent, noisy and overwhelming it can be when out in heavy conditions.

The still image of a surfer calmly composed in a frozen barrel is a far cry from what it actually feels like, video captures it a little better but not by much.

I'll be here in two weeks time for 15 days  :bounce:

http://www.surfline.com/video/video_player/video_player.cfm?id=4561

Some nice Soup Bowl barrels (be patient with the flash advert intro).. the guy in the yellow top is geordie Sam Lamiroy who actually won the contest that year.  I was out with a local guy this time last year who said that Sam surfed Soup Bowls better than Kelly Slater which is no mean feat (Youtube clip of KL at SB from Sipping Jetstreams).

(I still can't work out how to do this YouTube embedding ting)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#322 Re: One for the surfers
February 27, 2008, 11:15:52 am
FD - Just highlight and copy the end of the youtube url thing - in your case rjCPHFAmLJM - click the youtube icon so you get this   [youtube =425,350][/youtube ] and paste the code in the gap between the youtube thingys so....

[ youtube=425,350]rjCPHFAmLJM [/ youtube]

(except without the spaces)

Hey presto

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#323 Re: One for the surfers
February 27, 2008, 11:30:25 am
What these pictures don't really show is just how fast, violent, noisy and overwhelming it can be when out in heavy conditions.
I can imagine it's mental - the little white water kayaking i've done was an eye-opener to the violence of water.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#324 Re: One for the surfers
February 27, 2008, 06:07:49 pm
Thanks Jasper...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal