UKBouldering.com

One for the surfers (Read 715748 times)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#175 Re: One for the surfers
September 20, 2007, 01:39:06 pm
The twinnie looks good....

Thanks.. unfortunately having made it myself it doesn't surf as good as it looks  :)   

nash1

• menacing presence
#176 Re: One for the surfers
September 20, 2007, 02:42:45 pm
First off, LOVELY quiver pix. Waddage there.

Just got back from Hossegor, the flattest surf trip ever, Guiness Book o' records here I come. Bought a new Al Merrick and it didn't get wet. Didn't see a ripple for a week, tried Basque country climbing (went to Onate and it was absolutely shyte). The long range forecast was even flatter than flat so we bailed to Font and had 15-18 degrees and bluebird. Fantastic! Then bailed to Norway on a huge forecast, had masthigh down the line windsurfing on a point one day and two surfs the next, finally in the water!
We did see a lot of boobs on the beach in Hoss, which was nice...

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#177 Re: One for the surfers
September 20, 2007, 10:32:48 pm
We did see a lot of boobs on the beach in Hoss, which was nice...
so it wasnt flat at all!!!

granticus

• forum abuser
#178 Re: One for the surfers
September 27, 2007, 10:43:05 am
 ;D  Hurrah!  Flat spell is over!  (Well it's flat to today hence the communication!!)  Had an expectedly large wind blown swell on Monday..  Those with the knowledge and foresight scored an epic high tide evening session of 3 to 4ft powerful lefthand reef cleaness at a spot in Somerset.  (The Weir) 6 people in the water, 5 from Minehead and little old me from North Devon.  Stayed in for 3 hours until it was too dark to see! Epic sunset, everyone smiling and giggling, good vibes in the water.  Will live off this session for a while!  Lynmouth was big messy and out of control!  Expecting offshore 2ft ish pulse to hit the beachies tommorow and Saturday! You just gotta love the autumn.

Nice quiver FD that's a lot money sitting there on your lawn (share the wealth!!).  Where do you find space to store the all?!  My quiver expanded to 3 boards recently...  7''6 Bonzer from a company that was based in Cornwall called Pirate.......it goes quick in a straight line and turns like an oil tanker!  6''8 Spider Murphy exec, basically a shortboard with lots of volume that paddles nice and easy similar to a fat boy flier (a pain to duck dive!) and my new edition 6'' Celtic Connections thruster...  still getting used to this one, definately needs some punch to work properly!

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#179 Re: One for the surfers
September 27, 2007, 11:18:14 am
Glad to hear everyone is getting some waves.  I managed England, Scotland and Wales in 6 days last week.. although Aberdeen (with SA Chris ) was on the small side and Wales was a bit small and mushy at the weekend.

Nash - Given the Norway connection do you post on UKC with two initials?  What a shame you didn't get waves in France, especially as it suddenly picked up last week.

Granticus - What's the water quality like in Somerset?  I went to ATP in Minehead last December and was thinking of taking a board in case there was some swell.

Where do I store the quiver? - I've got a fairly large shed and I made some roof slings so they sit out of the way and I've left one in Aberdeen at a colleagues place over the winter for when I visit with work. I've had some of those boards for more than 10 years so it's not like I suddenly spent a fortune :-) If anyone wants to buy the 6'4 fish/thruster I'll cut a very good deal 'cos I don't use it anymore (too heavy - me that is, not the board). 

granticus

• forum abuser
#180 Re: One for the surfers
September 27, 2007, 11:43:48 am
Water quality in Somerset???  Pretty murky, it's the Bristol Channel so the water can appear dirty because of all the silt coming out of the river Severn.  However, I'm not aware of any major pollution problems and haven't personally had any issues.  A v. big swell is required for breaks in Somerset to have decent waves, not as big as everyone thinks though! It is always an excellent option when the SWs and Ss are howling.  If it's too small it's not far over the border into Devon to Lynmouth where if you're lucky you can score absolutely epic lefts (seriously epic, my legs are getting tired and the paddle back round is making my shoulders burn kind of epic) and on occasion a nice powerful barrelling right.  There is also a mellow beachie in Minehead that works occasionally and a small band of local surfers (The Colony IV creW).  It's definately worth taking a board just in case but not a consistent place at all...  The piccy over here  <<<<<<<< is a Somerset reef going off!

Idol eyes

• junky
#181 Re: One for the surfers
September 27, 2007, 02:41:50 pm
Stuck in Abo for the WE, any one about... SA C?

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#182 Re: One for the surfers
September 27, 2007, 06:41:47 pm
He's in Arizona...

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#183 Re: One for the surfers
September 28, 2007, 05:48:20 pm
seems like tomorrow i'll be in the water (surfing) again, with the posse.
it's incredible how much climbing has filled in all my spare time recently.
i've never surfed this few, and although i miss it, i'm completely fullfilled by pulling on rocks.

anyway, cross-stepping tomorrow.

Idol eyes

• junky
#184 Re: One for the surfers
September 29, 2007, 11:39:17 am
Anyone know where the DWS area is up here, or some Bouldering, or a multi pitch VS... the surf is off...

Idol eyes

• junky
#185 Re: One for the surfers
October 01, 2007, 09:29:44 pm
Flew over some nice lines today though! is it Offshore at every break in the UK today? must be, as i am too!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#186 Re: One for the surfers
October 09, 2007, 09:58:54 am
I'm back. Idol Eyes, let me know when you are in town again. I am still potentially interested in buying that longboard.

Idol eyes

• junky
#187 Re: One for the surfers
October 09, 2007, 12:42:55 pm
Yeah, It is 9.0, Hawian Soul, traditional , vee tail. 3 1/4"  30/70 rails will post a photo later, when back on terra firma. hope you had  a wicked trip! looks like you got some swell coming your way, on the Elgin platform, looking good on the metro... back in town some time in the nest two weeks, just bought an antique rocket fish, complete with poly fila repairs (worth alot). keen to get it on, will talk around my mobilisation.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#188 Re: One for the surfers
October 09, 2007, 01:50:57 pm
Have PMed you (again)

granticus

• forum abuser
#189 Re: One for the surfers
October 10, 2007, 04:05:18 pm
 :dance1:

Well folks.  Was in Exeter training for work yesterday, the weather cleared up and I got a session in (bouldering) at Bonehill.  Managed to pull my butt up a V8 sit start arete on the 'warm up' boulder, woo hoo!  Today the surf is pumping in proper Autumn swell stylee and this is set to continue tommorow, Friday, Saturday, Sunday with light winds throughout.  I'm in hog heaven!!

Idol eyes

• junky
#190 Re: One for the surfers
October 10, 2007, 05:46:38 pm
Its off shore as well, trying hard to not quit work, trying real hard...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#191 Re: One for the surfers
October 11, 2007, 08:31:52 am
:dance1:

Managed to pull my butt up a V8 sit start arete on the 'warm up' boulder, woo hoo!

Arkem? I never managed to figure out what went where on that arete.

Idol eyes

• junky
#192 Re: One for the surfers
October 11, 2007, 10:27:12 am
Shit, got another "can not turn down the money" job, five weeks in Norway... Eruo trip is now not likely,,, Costa Rica is the light at the end of this forth coming "very dark tunnel!"
any one been?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#193 Re: One for the surfers
October 11, 2007, 10:49:41 am
No, but looks sweet in Stormriders.

granticus

• forum abuser
#194 Re: One for the surfers
October 11, 2007, 08:26:56 pm
five weeks in Norway...

Aren't there any breaks in Norway?  There must be!  Take your boards...
Arkem? I never managed to figure out what went where on that arete.
Yep! That's the one..  Bum Start, left hand on pinch right in crack thing with thumb over top of crystal, right foot on low edge under crack, left heel on low slopey edge around arete, pull on slap up with left to fat sloper, bring right foot up to little crystal foothold, kind of toe scum/clamp with left foot and move right hand up to small edge directly above the crack thingy, then i made a kind timing dependent slap up to the hold on the arete with my left hand, (left foot comes off right stays where it is) then finish by slap the top big fat sloper with your right hand!!!!!  Proper job baey!
Sorry folks it's not surfing talk is it now.....  It's been pumping all day here in North Devon, absolutely epic, managing to surf early before work, negotiated a late start with my boss tommorow!! The charts are of the dial for the entire weekend...  Bouldering can wait for the impending flat spell..

granticus

• forum abuser

Idol eyes

• junky
#196 Re: One for the surfers
October 11, 2007, 08:42:52 pm
Er, kinda in the middle of the sea mate,,, many waves, but would not fit my boards on the chopper, Ha, can see it now.... Hawaii 50, north sea oil rig stylee...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#197 Re: One for the surfers
October 12, 2007, 08:54:00 am
Or Apocalypse Now style.

"There are no good peaks in Vietnam....... Norway"

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#198 Re: One for the surfers
October 12, 2007, 09:17:39 pm
Costa Rica is the light at the end of this forth coming "very dark tunnel!"

clm has been and rated it. believe The Fly was taught to surf here by his good lady wife also. They rated it as well.

What are you doing with all this money then? Is there a lady in cornwall with expensive tastes?

Idol eyes

• junky
#199 Re: One for the surfers
October 13, 2007, 11:49:06 am
Very much so, but as she is also 5 times British champion, she is also prone to laughing at my expense in the water. Still, she is a short boarder, I pissed myself when she tryed to hang ten... twas like a blindfolded retard running off a diving board into a belly flop.
She is fucking high maintenence, but a massive improvement on the last loon...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal