UKBouldering.com

One for the surfers (Read 715554 times)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#150 Re: One for the surfers
September 07, 2007, 11:30:26 am
Just to clarify, that wasn't us on the boat trip.  We're going next year.

granticus

• forum abuser
#151 Re: One for the surfers
September 10, 2007, 10:27:35 am
Well lets hope you all don't end up like the chap who paid his skin tax then.......... it's supposed to be a nightmare to get wounds to heal in that environment.  Also hope the waves are that good for you...

South West conditions update >............... going bouldering........ again!   

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#152 Re: One for the surfers
September 10, 2007, 11:09:14 am

South West conditions update >............... going bouldering........ again!   

NE conditions; forecast charts show what looks like a slice of onion passing just north of UK later in week. I hope they are right.

Idol eyes

• junky
#153 Re: One for the surfers
September 10, 2007, 01:39:45 pm
Tis Monday, going to sennen, still flat...
can not wait to bail...

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#154 Re: One for the surfers
September 10, 2007, 02:09:47 pm
Been a solid 4/5ft last couple of days over here. Pitty i couldnt get in though as i was riding a plank in very average snow, even by Australian standards!

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#155 Re: One for the surfers
September 10, 2007, 02:53:24 pm
it's supposed to be a nightmare to get wounds to heal in that environment.  Also hope the waves are that good for you...

It's OK if you treat them well - we had a Mentawai boat trip four years back and sustained lots of reef cuts.  Just dress them every day and they heal up alright.

The East Coast is looking mighty fine for the weekend - I'll be up in Yorkshire somewhere....

granticus

• forum abuser
#156 Re: One for the surfers
September 11, 2007, 05:28:57 pm
Apparently it is 3 to 4ft and clean on the east coast today....... you lucky, lucky...
Still stuck in N. Devon with extreme flatness extending far into the future..  It has been wall to wall sunshine for 3 weeks now... No sign of this high pressure system letting go for a while yet.  If it's flat at Sennen it's game over for the whole of Devon and Cornwall.
Could be worthwile bailing to the East coast this weekend, look out their is a 'pasty' invasion on the way, there are lots of desperate So' Westers that'll be on it.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#157 Re: One for the surfers
September 12, 2007, 08:19:27 am
Wasn't in Aberdeen. Too much west to hit us. flatter than a kipper's cock. Hopes now pinned on weekend.

granticus

• forum abuser
#158 Re: One for the surfers
September 12, 2007, 03:14:57 pm
flatter than a kipper's cock

:lol:  couldn't have put it better.......   the good news is according to Metcheck the high pressure system's days are numbered and winter is on the way! Joy!

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#159 Re: One for the surfers
September 13, 2007, 10:04:38 am
It certainly feels like things are changing.  The weekend and early next week could get very good on the East Coast. I'll be heading somewhere quiet as I imagine every surf starved individual with a car will be descending on Yorkshire and further North this weekend. 

On a more somber note, it looks like the earthquakes yesteday and this morning have killed a few people in Sumatra and damaged a fair amout of infrastructure.  www.surfaidinternational.org who are a local surfer supported aid agency had the following on their website. 

"It was a big one - 7.9 (now 8.2).  Praem and the team at Tuapejat (in the Mentawai Islands) went to higher ground in case of a tsunami.  No reports of casualties or damage there from her early text message.  Bart (SurfAid's Indonesian Country Director) also spoke to the Nias team and all OK there.  But I was just speaking to Bart  - it's now 11.30pm and the quake happened a bit after 6pm, just before dark - and he's heard a 6.6 aftershock has been centred near Sikakap (S. Mentawai) and reports of damage around the harbour.

But it's night so we won't know until the morning.  Communications are very difficult as you'd imagine - difficult at best of times out there.

We just got power on in my house/office in Padang after five hours.

We were all in the office about 6.10pm or so - Ad, Sabar, Wahidah, Flor and Santi - and it started to shake, just a tremble at first, and then got stronger.  Everyone ran onto the road outside and it started rolling like a snake, up and down, and cars rocking side to side as though people were pushing them, and the big electricity tower behind was swaying ... a wind chime in my house was still swinging side to side after I came back in when it settled down.  And after it, it felt like that feeling you have when you get off a boat, that swaying motion where your equilibrium is a bit off.

Locals said it was a big one for Padang.  A few of my neighbours are pretty rattled."

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#160 Re: One for the surfers
September 14, 2007, 09:01:24 am
Granticus and Idol Eyes - It looks like the SW flat spell will be over by the end of next week.  The first south swinging low pressure of the Autumn looks set to track across from Wednesday... waves (and wind and rain) galore for you pasty munchers.

Idol eyes

• junky
#161 Re: One for the surfers
September 14, 2007, 10:09:49 am
Sat looks ok... at least the wind will be OS. yesterday was 1/2 ft and OS, going climbing ...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#162 Re: One for the surfers
September 14, 2007, 02:42:51 pm
OS = Offshore
OS = Onshore ?

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#163 Re: One for the surfers
September 17, 2007, 09:37:32 am
Quiver……. Left to Right

I was doing some repairs on Saturday and thought I'd photograph and share these.  I hope this isn't interpreted as showing off.. I'm always interested to see what other people are riding.

5’8 Hand Shaped Keel Fin Fish – Crafted myself during the Summer of 2006.  Currently broken as I didn’t glass the fins in properly, one fell out and it’s now waiting to be fixed.

6’3” Swallow Tail Quad - Shaped by Graeme Bunt following that trip to Ireland last year where I watched him and Frank McWilliams tear up Easky right on one of these boards.  With a slightly wider plan shape in the nose than a normal as I like a bit of volume under my front foot, this is probably the best board I’ve ever had, it’s extremely fast, very loose (with the Richie Pavel SpeedDialer fins) and also holds its own in bigger surf.  I rode this yesterday in Yorkshire and must have had a dozen set waves.

6’4 Swallow Tail Thruster – This is a replica of my second surfboard that I had during the early 90’s and then foolishly sold.  I now ride this one with a large twin side fins and small trailer fin.  As I get older I’m getting a bit heavy (12 ½ st) for it now so if anyone wants to buy it drop me a line and I’ll cut you a good deal.

6’5 Single Fin Egg –  I was nervous about going to Hawaii given the fearsome reputation of the  locals attitude toward Haoles and was given good bit of advice from an American friend which was ‘ride a local board’.  So I had Keola Rapuza of T&C make me this single fin egg before I went out.  The first morning there I paddled out at Ala Moanas and this huge guy shouted 'Hey... Hey...' and winced thinking 'Sh*t, here it comes...' and he shouts 'Nice board brah... it's nice out there' and I had a great two weeks.  If you look at the plan shape, you can see this isn’t a retro board by any means but a contemporary Egg made for surf with some juice.

6’5 Nigel Semmens Round Pin – A thick board that goes well, getting rather old now and somewhat battered.  I don’t ride it much these days but I’m reluctant to let it go.

6’6 Round Pin – Slightly thicker than a normal thruster, this goes great in powerful hollow or point surf, very responsive. One for hollow punchy days.

6’10 Widowmaker – Based on the Dave Parmenter profile that Neal Purchase Jr is riding in Glass Love, Adrian Phillips shaped this for me earlier this year prior to the Barbados trip. It has a large centre fin and two side bites. I’m riding this now more than the semi-gun when the surf gets overhead as it has a bit more volume up-front so I can get in earlier and the 2 + 1 setup has lots of drive off the bottom.  A very nice surfboard and I’m looking forward to taking this to Ireland in three weeks.

7’0 Aloha Semi-Gun – Have semi-gun will travel.  This has not seen as much action since I got the Widowmaker but this has ridden larger (for me anyway) waves in Hawaii, Mentawaiis, Barbados, Spain, Scotland and the Canaries.

9’6 South Coast Dane Peterson – A 37 lb beast of a board with 16oz Volan glass job and with a proper George Greenough flex fin.  I only started riding logs last year and it’s added a new dimension to my surfing.  Hanging ten on this thing and trimming on a neat waist high peeler is really something.

If I had to keep three boards it would be the Bunty Quad, the Phillips Widowmaker and the Log… they cover pretty much everything.

I like looking at fins... and I love surfing.

dave

#164 Re: One for the surfers
September 17, 2007, 09:59:27 am
me and the shortie were up at sandsend beach (whitby) yesterday and there were loads of people surfing there, was very windy and big-ass waves breaking etc. i don't know any surfing terminology. fairly impressive.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#165 Re: One for the surfers
September 17, 2007, 10:00:02 am
Was Yorks good then?

Moray Coast was big, way to big for me; head and a half possibly? Got out back after a lot of hard work, then failed to get on two waves, taking a nailing each time. Then rode white wave back to shore and played in smaller waves. Got some good pics, will post tomorrow. Made me realise neither me nor my minimal is not up to job on waves that size, and encouraged me to work harder at riding the big fish, which I did most of the day yesterday in Aberdeen.

Are any of those boards redundant? A lot of them seem pretty similar.

I'm keen to get a longboard, probably will by the time next summer comes around. Thinking of the 9ft Take Off Noserider. Superlight!

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#166 Re: One for the surfers
September 17, 2007, 10:25:19 am
Dave - That's where I was yesterday.. felt like the last day of Summer.  Good waves, People sunbathing, ice creams, sunshine, horrendous traffic on the way home.

Chris - Redundant boards?  The 6'4 Swallowtail is too thin for me now so I'll be getting rid of that and the 6'5 Semmens is very similar to the 6'6 I bought up your way last year.  The rest are all very different...   

I'm in town for two days tomorrow (did I really arrange those meetings to coincide with the swell?  :-\) and plan to bring the 6'5 and leave it in Aberdeen for the winter. See you tomorrow evening at the Beach and an early one on Wednesday.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#167 Re: One for the surfers
September 17, 2007, 10:44:44 am
Sounds good for both. Pretty flat this morning, not sure if there's still too much west in the swell, but might be OK tomorrow. Stick in climbing gear in case it's flat; can do new beach wall.

Felt like the fist day of autumn here on the weekend; needed gloves towards end of session yesterday, apparently light snow on Cairrngorms and frost foecast for later in week.

So only two redundant boards then? That's as many as I own!

dave

#168 Re: One for the surfers
September 17, 2007, 11:43:55 am
Dave - That's where I was yesterday.. felt like the last day of Summer.  Good waves, People sunbathing, ice creams, sunshine, horrendous traffic on the way home.

I was there about 3:30-4ish, deffo no sun then! took a load of photos, you might even be in there.

Did you drive back on the a64 via malton? that was terrible last night, and it always seems to be the same. we should have gone back the way we came round by northallerton etc.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#169 Re: One for the surfers
September 18, 2007, 12:04:15 pm

Banff lines. pity light was poor. And there is dirt on my sensor

Idol eyes

• junky
#170 Re: One for the surfers
September 18, 2007, 12:38:12 pm
The twinnie looks good....
got a really nice brand new (one session) 9.0 plank for sale, fins + bag,,,, 300.00

SA Chris

• forum hero
#171 Re: One for the surfers
September 18, 2007, 02:29:11 pm
Specs?

Do you still come up to Aberdeen at all any more?

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#172 Re: One for the surfers
September 19, 2007, 08:20:10 am
I was there about 3:30-4ish,....Did you drive back on the a64 via malton?

I was in the water at that time, toward the cafe end.  The tide was high so the waves were not as good as earlier in the day, breaking onto the beach...

Yep I foolishly followed my autopilot and went via the A64. Should've gone North a bit and then across to the A19

Idol eyes

• junky
#173 Re: One for the surfers
September 20, 2007, 10:41:56 am
totally on again, someone flicked the switch... tis 3ft and fast.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#174 Re: One for the surfers
September 20, 2007, 12:51:21 pm
The twinnie looks good....
got a really nice brand new (one session) 9.0 plank for sale, fins + bag,,,, 300.00

PK, I have PMed you on this.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal