UKBouldering.com

One for the surfers (Read 715452 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#125 Re: One for the surfers
July 16, 2007, 10:04:38 am
First day of summer here yesterday. Cloudless skies, clean waves at Banff, comfortable in summer rash vest and no gloves. Not often you have to dodge people swimming in Scotland. Managed to ride half a dozen rights and a couple of lefts, just as a reminder that I don't totally suck, it's just Aberdeen is really difficult to ride well.

Highlight of my surfing career though was when one of the kids getting a lesson with the surf club said "Wow, you're really ace!".

Nice kid, will go far in life.

Total pish weather today again though.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#126 Re: One for the surfers
August 17, 2007, 05:31:54 pm
Garret McNamara surfing glacier 'tsunami' waves..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/player/nol/newsid_6950000/newsid_6951400?redirect=6951440.stm&news=1&nbram=1&nbwm=1&bbwm=1&bbram=1&asb=1

Irony isn't the right word but there's something not quite about using jet-ski's to surf these waves whilst dodging the evidence of global warming..

erm, sam

• forum hero
#127 Re: One for the surfers
August 18, 2007, 12:07:19 am
It could almost be joke - how exteme can an extreme sport be. "Freaking glacier waves man"
I think they should get a life and stop scrapeing the barrel for things to do. Get a job or something. Go visit your mother. Do anything except surf stupid glacier waves.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#128 Re: One for the surfers
August 18, 2007, 07:46:35 am
Off to the Lleyn now - might get a decent wave at Ceriad this teatime when the wind shifts southerly.... (fingers x'ed)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#129 Re: One for the surfers
August 19, 2007, 03:49:16 pm
Good week, full report will follow.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#130 Re: One for the surfers
August 20, 2007, 10:25:04 am
Drove through a deluge of biblical proportions along the A5 on Saturday morning.  A stroll along Abersoch beach at lunchtime with the dog and my nephews saw the wind shifting from a howling southerly to breezy Westerly.  Not perfect conditions, but the visible lines of swell marching along the sides of the Tudwalls islands confirmed the presence of a groundswell coming into Cardigan.  Later that afternoon I surfed a local place on the dropping tide.  Windy and choppy but with some size and power.

Overnight the wind shifted to a north westerly, perfect conditions for the south facing spots.  The swell had cleaned up considerably and I spent nearly four hours in the water with a handful of local friends and acquaintances.  This spot is such a special place on days like these.  Bobbing below the cliffs in clear green water with well shaped shoulder to head high peaks coming through and getting good waves.  The birds were very active, Sandwich terns diving amongst us to collect fish, Guillemots paddling around like penguins, young cormorants learning to fish and Choughs skriking overhead fighting with the Gulls.  It felt too Autumnal for Summer even though the sea was warm.  I drove home tired and contented and slept like a log last night.

nash1

• menacing presence
#131 Re: One for the surfers
August 20, 2007, 12:06:11 pm
Sounds like a crackin sesh.
I have just ordered me an Al Merrick, picking it up in Hossegor next week, oh should be fun...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#132 Re: One for the surfers
August 20, 2007, 12:45:11 pm
I think FD has an Al Merrick? Anyhow, we had all sorts of weather for the week, from howling onshores and horizontal rain to blue skies. Got in water every day we were on N Uist, although there were a couple of days when I wouldn't have bothered if I had been at home. Friday was probably my best day surfing ever; went to "a beach near Hosta" that was clean and about 6 foot in the morning. Got out back and got on a handful of big rights and a fantastic left that I was really pleased about. By late afternoon it had dropped to about 4 foot, and I bagged a dozen or so fantastic rides before my paddling power gave in. In the process of gathering photos at the moment, will post some soon.

Great trip, definitely worth getting over there. I think there is talk of reducing ferry fees soon.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#133 Re: One for the surfers
August 20, 2007, 01:02:57 pm
>I think FD has an Al Merrick?

Nope...  Lots of boards but no Al Merricks.  Glad to hear you had a good trip Chris and looking forward to seeing the photo's. Did you get out on your big fish?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#134 Re: One for the surfers
August 20, 2007, 01:56:01 pm
Did you get out on your big fish?

Had one good afternoon session on it, but left it at the tent one day when I really could have done with it.

I thought you bought an Al Merrick from Granite Reef when you were up here?

Idol eyes

• junky
#135 Re: One for the surfers
August 20, 2007, 02:05:36 pm
Going away,,,
got the van racked for a three monther, france, spain, portugal and morocco.
Just compleated the quiver,
9.0 plank
9.4 freedom
9.6 stuart hydrohull ***
9.4 stuart hydrohull***
7.0 nine plus magic carpet (to be arranged)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#136 Re: One for the surfers
August 20, 2007, 02:33:04 pm

9.4 freedom
9.6 stuart hydrohull ***
9.4 stuart hydrohull***

Combined, do these make up a trimaran?

Good luck with the trip.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#137 Re: One for the surfers
August 20, 2007, 02:37:01 pm
I thought you bought an Al Merrick from Granite Reef when you were up here?

Nope it was a Rob Vaughan 6'6" Rounded Pin with a bit of volume.. goes well when there's some juice and it's head high plus.

Idol Eyes - Have a fantastic trip.. needless to say I am extremely jealous indeed. You picked the right time of year for a Euro tour.  If you're in the Rodilles area keep your eyes peeled for Richie Patter...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#138 Re: One for the surfers
August 21, 2007, 04:16:53 pm

End of morning session on Friday. Was actually a bit brighter than it looks in photo

Idol eyes

• junky
#139 Re: One for the surfers
August 22, 2007, 04:58:58 pm
Yeah... Its total dog shit here at the mo... last sat was v good. going to be going via Rosscoff, would like to meet up with patta and mary...
Just looked at a tunnel vision 10.0 traditional single fin. the last blank from Clark foam... £899.00
its on hold.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#140 Re: One for the surfers
August 30, 2007, 04:19:17 pm

My moment of madness on the trip. Just to prove it is possible in Scotland. Put wetsuit back on after 2 waves though.

clm

• forum hero
#141 Re: One for the surfers
August 31, 2007, 06:18:01 pm
something snapped inside my knee at hossegor last monday - going to the docs to find out what on tuesday.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#142 Re: One for the surfers
September 02, 2007, 02:44:19 am
Well been in Australia 2 weeks. Bought a van and a board. Ill try and post some wave pics up soon....

SA Chris

• forum hero
#143 Re: One for the surfers
September 03, 2007, 08:17:49 am
Bad news clm. Doesn't sound great. Hope you get some good waves Adam, Will hopefully be there this time next year.

granticus

• forum abuser
#144 Re: One for the surfers
September 03, 2007, 05:35:20 pm
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaargggghhhhhhhh!  Well like minded folks, we are currently experiencing a flat spell in the South West.

Last decent surf was Sat 18th August on the Exmoor coast, a high tide reef that peaks with way better lefts than rights.  Conditions and tides came together for the evening, only 5 of us were onto the charts enough to suss this session out.  Got in on my own, in choppy conditions with onshore NW's then, 1 more came in still choppy, I stated that the wind was due to drop about now and right on cue.. just as the tide was up onto the reef to make the peak work properly it did indeed drop!  3 more came in and that was it!  3 to 4 ft glassy perfection from 7.30pm until dark with just 5 peeps in during the height of summer..... Sweet..

The only problem with the above is that now it's been flat for weeks, I had a week off camping down in Kernow and didn't surf due to the crapiness of the waves.  That one session has me amped up for more but mother nature is not coming up with the goods...  Somebody tell me there's some swell on the way, sometime soon???  I might have to go bouldering at this rate!

Idol eyes

• junky
#145 Re: One for the surfers
September 06, 2007, 01:27:17 pm
Its too fucking much, the only relief was surfstock... what a party, another this W.E. going to Sennen now... trying to see the light, but all forecasts are flatlineing. taken three weeks of work, for nothing.

granticus

• forum abuser
#146 Re: One for the surfers
September 06, 2007, 06:09:40 pm
Dude!  I am feeling for you...  Was down Porthleven way during Surfstock weekend and ended up going to a different party in middle of nowhere.. There was a mad and v. talented funk jazz band playing! Corking night..  Meanwhile there was a Cowboys and Indians party up Wadebridge way which was apparently kicking too.  The party scene down in Kernow is excellent this time of year, lots of end of season celebrations and post harvest farmers letting off steam..  You couldn't have picked a worse time or place to chase the surf though......  Think Ireland and Scotland are hitting some swell at the moment... tempted to bail but work won't allow!   Still hurricane season is upon us and if this high stops blocking out storm systems, one of those little beauties is going to track across the atlantic and light up our coast.  I live in hope..  In the meantime... have been bouldering at Godrevy and Exmoor Coast..  Godrevy is deffo worth a visit if you're in Cornwall and the Exmoor Coast is our best kept secret up here in North Devon.  I'll put an offering out to Huey for you! :thumbsup:

SA Chris

• forum hero
#147 Re: One for the surfers
September 06, 2007, 06:38:09 pm
I wouldn't rush up here or far north. Apparently onshores for NW, flat in east. At least got an OK (for Abz) session on Tuesday, and might be more ealry next week.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#148 Re: One for the surfers
September 07, 2007, 09:30:13 am
Looks like the East Coast will get another pulse of swell Tuesday and Wednesday next week as per this week.  Unfortunately I'm stacked up with work again so haven't got wet either for a few weeks.  I'm hopeful for my week long Ireland trip in October though....

If anyone is interested (and wants to make themselves feel sick with jealousy) here's a slide show from a recent boat trip http://www.kalegray.com/ to the Banyaks.  We're going on the same boat to the same place next May... looks nice.

granticus

• forum abuser
#149 Re: One for the surfers
September 07, 2007, 11:16:33 am
 :jaw:  Looks sick!  However, this has now just added to my mental anguish!  :wall:
Being a goofy footer, I was begining to worry that you didn't get any lefts out there at all!  Nice to see the regulars finally had to get on your back hand for a bit! 

The charts are not looking favourable at all for the next week...  This is not what supposed to happen in September... All the grockles are supposed to go back to their land locked existence safe and out of the way!  Then hurricane season sends the lows across the pond allowing us all to enjoy warm water and pumping waves!  I can't remember a flat spell like this in the South West.  There's not even any onshore dribble to surf.  :furious:

Still it's been dry and warm for 2 weeks...  Going bouldering later and getting stronger due to lack of distractions such as surfing....... 

In the meantime here's what we're waiting for 'Lyndaka' in perfection machine mode!

http://magicseaweed.com/photoLab/viewPhoto.php?photoId=2441

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal