UKBouldering.com

One for the surfers (Read 721942 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#75 Re: One for the surfers
March 12, 2007, 01:42:21 pm
I read "Riding the Magic Carpet" recently. nothing insightful, just a nice story about an average guy fulfilling his surfing dreams.

Spring Sessions are arriving in Scotland, but I think I have a cracked rib from stacking when snowboarding.

Idol Eyes, if you have some spare time next time you are in Aberdeen, and fancy a wave or two, get in touch. I have a spare board.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#76 Re: One for the surfers
March 15, 2007, 02:47:04 pm
Looks like next week may be a wild one for the East Coast. Seek sheltered spots!

Idol eyes

• junky
#77 Re: One for the surfers
March 19, 2007, 05:38:33 am
Ha Ha, totally had my board ripped again today, surfing Bennys on the low, got wacked on a set wave, out on my own and took a the rest of the set on my head. fairly far out, got my head down and learned to swim in major rip, fucking having it... got to my board before the rescue team got wet. my chick had a seizure. got longboarding down.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#78 Re: One for the surfers
March 19, 2007, 04:15:35 pm
Got back from Barbados yesterday afternoon... 18 hours earlier I'd been wearing boardshorts and sunscreen in 20 degree water with turtles and I found myself in the Sunday evening twilight in Ron Hills and a cagoule running up Eccles Pike with the dog into the teeth of a blizzard..

Had a great trip, surfed at least twice a day for 12 days and did the whole holiday thing with Mrs FD.  Got Soup Bowls and Parlours at 6-8ft for four days with (rare) light winds.. a few gusty/choppy 3-4ft sessions at South Point & Brandons, a couple of very nice and super clean head-high days at Mullins on the Caribean coast and then a final week of choppy but powerful head-high surf at Soup Bowls and Parlours.  I now have enourmous lats and shoulders, a very brown face, lots of reef cuts and urchin spine dots, great cardio fitness and no finger strength but who cares... that'll come back quick enough.  I also saw loads of giant leather back turtles close by nearly every time I paddled out which was very exciting.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#79 Re: One for the surfers
March 21, 2007, 12:40:50 pm
On a different level, managed first dawnie of the year this morning. In water by 7:30 (would have been earlier if I hadn't grabbed rowie's glove (XS) out of box before heading down to water. Then went back to car and swapped them for what i thought were my pair, but were actually her other one and mine). Bit big and messy, but starting to feel love for new board. Not too bad in the water, but cold getting changed and I put off getting out as long as possible in hope it would warm up a bit (it didn't).

Good to get one in before clocks changed.

Idol eyes

• junky
#80 Re: One for the surfers
March 23, 2007, 09:41:20 am
Another snapped leash! For fucksake! nice one Falling Down! we have five more sessions, then back to grey skysand 5\3 wet suits. Will try to hook up...
SA, get your arse down west... see you soon

SA Chris

• forum hero
#81 Re: One for the surfers
March 26, 2007, 07:11:48 pm
Got another session in the evening after the morning session. Two sessions in one day on a work day; not bad. Was much smaller and cleaner, we got out as it was getting dark, and it pissed down on us.

SA, get your arse down west... see you soon

It's spring! Suumer is not the time to be in the SW, I spent two years fighting hoards in the water, sloppy waves, posers on the beach, no thanks. Quiet Scottish Breaks all summer long.

Idol eyes

• junky
#82 Re: One for the surfers
March 27, 2007, 11:27:05 am
No, south coast reef madness,,, Is Thurso worth a visit

SA Chris

• forum hero
#83 Re: One for the surfers
March 27, 2007, 11:40:57 am
No, south coast reef madness,,, Is Thurso worth a visit

Always. I'm not good enough though for it though. Sandwood Bay and Oldshoremore are fantastic mind.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#84 Re: One for the surfers
April 04, 2007, 09:22:52 pm
Head east for the weekend people! Looks to be epic (hope I haven't cursed it).

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#85 Re: One for the surfers
April 05, 2007, 08:26:10 pm
Aye 'tis looking pretty good.. not too big, looong period and perfect winds.

I was planning my trad comeback this weekend but now I'm not so sure    :-\

SA Chris

• forum hero
#86 Re: One for the surfers
April 06, 2007, 10:04:44 am
Just had dawnie. Bit messy but the occasional clean set came through. Sadly I was never in position to make the most of them. Another session tonight.

Leave the trad til next week fd, the rock will always be there.

underground

• forum hero
#87 Re: One for the surfers
April 07, 2007, 09:16:53 pm
It looked good at Flamborough head this afternoon- I saw a few folk out on smallish waves but the sets were coming in regular and it wasn't too messy. Looked to be the longboards catching the rides though.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#88 Re: One for the surfers
April 09, 2007, 08:07:07 am
They always do on small waves.

Had a before work session on Friday, then a post work one, Saturday morning long session and a Sunday morning session. My arms are wasted!. Had to get out on bike on Sunday afternoon, as my arms were too wasted to pull on anything. Most consistent spell in Aberdeen for a long time, guess that's it until Autumn.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#89 Re: One for the surfers
April 09, 2007, 12:29:39 pm
Aye 'tis looking pretty good.. not too big, looong period and perfect winds.

I was planning my trad comeback this weekend but now I'm not so sure    :-\

I've been ill since Friday  :'(

Idol eyes

• junky
#90 Re: One for the surfers
April 09, 2007, 10:09:19 pm
Yeah, well ive been sick too, really ill after getting back. Air port virus.... throat, fucking latent drowning, WE, and perfect 1ft waves.... long boarding all day,,,, travelled to S L, only to recive perfection on home soil.... Bank holliday WE,,,, Totally fucked up on every ting, later vibes....
PS, in a room full of Long board advocates, laughing at the "small wave" comment, no names...

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#91 Re: One for the surfers
April 21, 2007, 09:32:43 am
Had a great day yesterday on the North Yorkshire Coast with Oldfella, Heinrik Ellis & Property tycoon/full time surfer Moffat.  Started the day at an undisclosed location and had a good hour to ourselves, overhead and a little choppy, the conditions were somewhat challending - it took me and Ellis a good half hour of late drops and hideous wipeouts before we dialled in and I was rewarded with a big open left hander that walled up and gave some room for manouvers.

We grabbed some lunch and returned to the same spot.  On my first wave I blew the drop and got so nailed I spent the next half hour puking my guts out in the channel.  Not many waves were ridded as the rip was hideous and the lineup was shifting everywhere. The hot showers of Cayton Bay tempted us and we surfed overhead pumphouse for a couple of hours in the evening.  I got a screamer all the way to the pumphouse wall to find exit options limited and with Oldfella behind me we resorted to climbing the pumphouse wall and 4b slab manouvers between hanging on with finger tips as the waves surged up the slab.

I'm shagged today & covered in very nasty bruises...  :)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#92 Re: One for the surfers
April 21, 2007, 11:14:55 am
Wierd, it was pish at Aberdeen. Pish again today.

Sounds epic tho.

clm

• forum hero
#93 Re: One for the surfers
April 21, 2007, 01:12:06 pm
Apparently this is off county cork :o :o :o :o :o :o :jaw: :jaw: :jaw: :jaw: :jaw: :jaw: :jaw: :jaw:

Idol eyes

• junky
#94 Re: One for the surfers
April 21, 2007, 09:56:52 pm
6-8Ft on monday.... North Fistral will be on fire.
Its been clean for the last few sessions.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#95 Re: One for the surfers
April 23, 2007, 02:50:17 pm
guts.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#96 Re: One for the surfers
April 30, 2007, 11:59:41 am
Good find Nibs..... very impressive surfing from the North Shore pioneers. 

SA Chris

• forum hero
#97 Re: One for the surfers
May 01, 2007, 09:03:56 am
Hendo got some good pics from the Scottish Open, hopefully he will post them here. We went two days too late, it's like a millpond at the moment.

Hendo

• player
#98 Re: One for the surfers
May 01, 2007, 09:36:38 am

Hendo

• player
#99 Re: One for the surfers
May 01, 2007, 11:08:01 am

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal