UKBouldering.com

"Pulled" Back Muscle again (Read 2882 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
"Pulled" Back Muscle again
December 15, 2006, 04:08:21 pm
I have a muscle inbetween my shoulder blades that I "Pull" quite regularly, normally once or twice a year. It's often doing something trivial (last time was brushing teeth, time before picking up some post it notes).

It usually agony for about a day, then fine after 2, and Usually OK as soon as I climb on it again.

I pulled it at the wall about 2 weeks ago, doing an awkward shouldery move, and it "went" again yesterday, but felt fine after swimming any yoga the night before.

Any suggestions for sorting it out? I suspect it is down to typical climber's bad posture combined with spending most of the day at my desk. How do you correct it? Weights? Walking around with a book on my head?

Its hard to isolate the exact muscle, but it feels like it's just to the right of my spine and in line with the bottom of the shoulder blades.

Any advice welcome, and yes I know I should see a physio or osteo or something.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1 Re: "Pulled" Back Muscle again
December 15, 2006, 04:46:04 pm
Chris - This sounds like something similar to the back problem I get from time to time.  Stiffness in the Thorasic Vertebrae due to bad posture & 'overdeveloped' shoulders... I can show you an unusual stretch when I'm next in Aberdeen but you might want to see a physio,

Hope it heals up soon..

lorentz

• obsessive maniac
#2 Re: "Pulled" Back Muscle again
December 15, 2006, 08:41:59 pm
Dude you do yoga? I've got same thing behind left shoulder blade (permanent rugby injury from being a 10stone 5ft11 propforward aged 15,16 and 17 - crazy shit!)

I find eagle arms really opens up required area. Remember to try to breathe deeply into the back of your lungs as you push your crossed forearms together in front of your chest and pull your shoulders neutral and your shoulderblades apart whilst rasing your arms upwards. Check the web for pictures of posture or ask your teacher next time out. Good luck with it!

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary

erm, sam

• forum hero
#4 Re: "Pulled" Back Muscle again
December 17, 2006, 10:52:19 pm
The Eagle stretch is indeed a good one. Also look here for other usefull stretches
http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/BackWt.html
I have been doing less than body weight pullups really focussing on activating the muscles between the shoulder blades when pulling up. I think this a good way to build them up without overdoing it..

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5 Re: "Pulled" Back Muscle again
December 18, 2006, 08:03:50 am
Dude you do yoga?

Yup, mostly in the winter and occasionally in the summer. It's Fitness yoga though, not the meditative stuff. Find it really helps with flexibility and balance.

I was at a party on Saturday Night and a friend who is training in Sports Massage offered to give it a rub down. She said I had crap posture and overdeveloped back muscles. Felt OK afterwards, and now fine after surfing yesterday.

Cheers for the advice people, now trying to pull shoulders back. Will check out eagle stretch.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#6 Re: "Pulled" Back Muscle again
December 18, 2006, 11:49:59 am
I have a similair problem mate went to see a pysio and nshe said 90% of the problem derived from the fact that i walk like a gorilla, really concentrate on walking upright and with your shoulders back it makes a massive difference.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal