UKBouldering.com

Next gen consoles (Read 12564 times)

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#50 Re: Next gen consoles
October 16, 2006, 10:49:51 am
Good link moose, that's a hell of a story...

scarcely believable isn't it?  all the normal hubris and market ignorance of a typical dotcom saga... with distinctly non-geeky elements of violent crime and fast cars!  Incidently a surprisingly good and "mature" (albeit limited by the medium) source of links and news re gaming are the humble C4 teletext games pages.  They're at p306-309 on analogue Channel4, and p806 onwards (I think) on the digital teletext for ITV.  With the music pages (341- on analogue C4) they (I'm almost ashamed to admit) comprise my usual read during my morning coffee.  Ahhh analogue teletext.. the ghetto internet

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#51 Re: Next gen consoles
October 16, 2006, 11:41:00 am
Saw these clips over the weekend. http://uk.wii.com/exp/

As someone who has never bought a console, it's the first one that seriously tempts me. Interesting that they are not really attempting to 'compete' with the 360 and PS3, I think at the price and with quite a different experience quite a lot of people will be like my brother who intends to get one in addition to his 360 (he's only ever got one console from each gen previously)

Good Gizmodo story. It was all over the press when I was out there last year and a bit of a mystery. Search Google Images for Enzo PCH for some juicy pics
Amazing he survived! What is more amazing is that I read that Ferrari reckoned the Enzo wasn't a write off! They reckoned it was economical to repair!

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=enzo%20pch&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&sa=N&tab=wi&safe=active

squeek

• junky
#52 Re: Next gen consoles
October 16, 2006, 10:32:51 pm
I'll try and get the video of the most impressive video gaming I'm ever seem, IMHO obviously.  And it's not what you think it might be.

I can't find the one I've seen, but this is in a similar vein:

I just think it's nuts.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#53 Re: Next gen consoles
October 17, 2006, 02:42:41 pm
qdqwa is on u tube and is still as refreshingly mind blowing as the first time I saw it.

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#54 Re: Next gen consoles
November 21, 2006, 11:51:16 pm
So,

Who's got a copy of Gears of War yet and is actually worth buying a 360 for?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#55 Re: Next gen consoles
November 22, 2006, 08:55:18 am

The people on my gaming forum seem to say it's extremely pretty, but the gameplay is a bit simple and the online isn't as good as Call Of Duty 3.

It'll probably take a little while for it to be fully appreciated though.

I've not really turned on my 360 since starting World of Warcraft - holy shit WoW is addictive.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#56 Re: Next gen consoles
November 22, 2006, 09:01:24 am
get out while you still can bubba WoW is one of the quickest spreading debilitating diseases of modern times.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#57 Re: Next gen consoles
November 22, 2006, 09:53:29 am
I've not really turned on my 360 since starting World of Warcraft - holy shit WoW is addictive.

Hahahaa, goodbye life!

MMORPGs, hell, RPGs in general, can be EVIL. I can't possibly admit how much of my life I wasted playing Guild Wars (albeit when I had a broken foot), but it's a very big number. Bigger than V15.

And on the same subject, I tried the Gothic 3 demo recently - a bit buggy, but very well done and engrossing. I got about 8-10 hours gameplay out of the DEMO, I reckon. God forbid I buy the game  ???

squeek

• junky
#58 Re: Next gen consoles
November 22, 2006, 01:52:36 pm
Last game I completed was a little RPG, Paper Mario, just under 40hours to complete.  gears of war does look very tempting, I'll pop round to my friends when he's got it and see what's what.

Rob

#59 Re: Next gen consoles
November 22, 2006, 08:29:44 pm
holy shit WoW is addictive.

I'm recovering from a bad case of WOW, been dry for the best part of 6 months.

I nearly bought a 360 but by the time they were generally available I'd got over it.

I'm seriously tempted by the Wii.

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#60 Re: Next gen consoles
November 22, 2006, 11:22:20 pm
[

oO TORMENT Oo  (main tag)
bubbzz (not used much)

Not playing H2 at the moment because the PC I filter XBL through keeps fusing - fuck!

When playing Halo 2 I run my connection through a firewall that blocks all non-european IP addresses. This has the advantage of:
- not playing annoying American kids (sorry Blunk, but some US kids just have a terrible attitude)
- because everyone is a Euro, the ping rates are nice, so you don't get unfairly killed by Americans all the time.

Sounds picky, but once you've tried it, you won't go back to playing normal XBL.

Also sometimes play as _Torment_ on XBC. XBC is probably better than XBL, but it's less reliable for getting games.

I'll add you. Don't understand a thing about firewalls so that went right over my head.

Right about the US kids attitudes some guy said "your from pakistan, you must be a terrorist", pretty ignorant but funnily I got Urban Climber mag last month and the in the Pakistan bouldering article some guy writes something like "its a shame when you think of pakistan you think of AK-47s and terrorists". I don't know if thats the common attitude?

also, have you played gears of war? looks good, bit like Halo mixed with Doom

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#61 Re: Next gen consoles
November 23, 2006, 08:57:37 am

cheers - not been on for a while because of WoW but sure I will soon. also, the bubbzz account is dead now.

Not played GoW but as the reaction from friends hasn't been "you must buy this *now*" I'm going to leave off until the price drops, or just get it from a cheap importer or something.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#62 Re: Next gen consoles
December 09, 2006, 10:51:46 am
well,

i own an nintendo for the first time since the origional game boy... bizarre name: the Wii

its not next gen graphics.....

BUT

its the most awesome thing ever!!

small, quiet, easy to set up...... OK that's not too special.......but  the controllers are totally, totally, like totally brilliant fun... and that makes for the best gameplay and best value for money console out there by far....

on zelda at the mo, very cool (bit cutesy but the interactivity is spellbinding!!), need a FPS asap... will report back then....

they really are as fun as they look!!

downsides:

-although wifi enabled there seems to be no servers up yet for online play
- it wasnt meant to arrive until next week (techplosion.co.uk  -great no bullshitt service), so i havnt got a stock of rechargeable AA batteries in.
- the kids wont let me on it!

squeek

• junky
#63 Re: Next gen consoles
December 09, 2006, 06:01:49 pm
I nearly pre-ordered one but didn't.  Might get one next year, good to hear thoughts from someone who actually has one. Did you only get Zelda or have you got some other games?  I realise you'll have Wii sports.  I think the site you meant is http://www.techsplosion.co.uk.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#64 Re: Next gen consoles
December 11, 2006, 08:02:23 am
One of my mates has got one on order. I think it wall pass many a drunken winter evening with the hail and sleet lashing the windows.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#65 Re: Next gen consoles
December 11, 2006, 07:02:48 pm
yeah, sorry... that's the site.

still investing heavily time wise on zelda... i was  a fan of the gameboy zelda and this (obviously) is different - but even with the japanese style very much in evidence it really does pull you in... not my usual game fare at all.

I have redsteel on order. wii sports is good post pub fodder, and the kids love it.

13 hrs gameplay in and no battery issues either - which is better than i had been lead to believe :great:

i'll be on it most of the week, as my sprained ankle stops me leavin the house!!! :'(

Ena

• addict
    • cadreweb
#66 Re: Next gen consoles
December 12, 2006, 08:49:47 pm
Wii is brilliant, no question. If you want to blow muthfukas apart with really big guns in high res, it's clearly not for you. But it is very good. Only downside is one broken glass lampshade from frantic tennis session! Careful now.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#67 Re: Next gen consoles
December 12, 2006, 09:09:14 pm
no lampshade deaths here so far... youngest son belted by eldest in end of dungeon boss battle frantic death fever... ahemmm.

still the best game event in years though...

redsteel courier arrives tomorrow ( bust up ankle - so cant shop, forgive the waste of cash..)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal