UKBouldering.com

Mr Mills - Warehouse Project - Manc Town - Friday (Read 14675 times)

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
my mate jeff in the old boddingtons brewery on friday.... :great:

blimey....see me resisting like mad....can't really go as have super important client meetings at work the following week - pah!  :'(

anyway just thought you might like to know....think i know a fair few people who will be going along

(has anyone else been to any of the warehouse project nights? - been reading mixed reviews (ok make that bad reviews) about sound quality and no-shows)

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
Good shout on Mr.Mills. Sadly I wasn't part of our crew that went to Friday's Autechre/LFO/Surgeon joint, but heard it was very good if only for poor sound quality (as you mentioned too jfw).

Unclesomebody is a likely cert I believe for this (?). Sadly, there was no way in hell work are going to give me the Saturday off and hence I can't attend.  >:(

Knees up to everyone who does attend, enjoy it!

BenF

• forum hero
Me and some others are going along on Friday.  Some other good names on the bill too, but I can't remember who exactly. 

I've not been but I've got friends who've been to the Warehouse malarky and they ain't been particularly negative about it, in fact several people have been very positive.  Not heard anything about sound quality, so I'm presuming it's at least reasonable.  The no shows business seems to blight lots of venues from time to time and it really sucks doesn't it?

Mono - what do you need Saturday off work for?  The club finishes by 6am.  Train home by about half six, get back to Liverpool half seven and Bob's yer uncle.  You've gone soft mate.  ;)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

load of my mates are going but I declined.

If I go to that sort of night I wanna neck stuff and that's just bad for me these days, so I usually just pass it over.

Missed Mr Scruff's 6 hour set at Plug last Friday too :(

BenF

• forum hero
If I go to that sort of night I wanna neck stuff and that's just bad for me these days, so I usually just pass it over.

Do you have any of that restraint going spare Bubba?  If so, I wouldn't mind borrowing some as mine is running low...

Actually, to be honest I'm pretty restrained and limit my club/party excesses to every other month or so these days.  Being a climber is a very good way of being restrained as going climbing is always better than getting off my head and dancing for six hours.  Then again, a week of wet weather can skew my vision a bit.

Monolith

• forum hero
I have indeed gone soft Ben. Although I suppose in a way, work would just be an extension of the night in the club, what with selling Bonkers albums all day.

Enjoy it you felons!

BenF

• forum hero
Yeah, I can imagine you raving in there to the sounds of Slipmat, Vibes, Sharkey and Dougal.

Monolith

• forum hero
I've always pondered how the Bonkers compilations have lasted the trip for so long. And does Helter Skelter still actually happen in Milton Keynes?

BenF

• forum hero
Helter Skelter is probably still running bi-monthly events both in Milton Keynes and in Shepton Mallet, the bumpkin second home of old skool.  Get yer Corsa bodykits out, get an under-age girlfriend and head on down for some glowstick heaven. 

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
get an under-age girlfriend and head on down for some glowstick heaven. 

:lol:

whistle posse are you ready?

BenF

• forum hero
Oooh, I can almost hear the dulcet tones of Baby D "let me be your fantasy".  I'm gonna go find a Stu Allen mix tape right now.

Note: I'm not really.

Monolith

• forum hero
Seriously though, one has to admire the exquisite Helter Skelter artwork from back in the day.

I like the way their faces have turned into orange peels from taking too many drugs.

BenF

• forum hero
...taking too many drugs.

What?  At a Helter Skelter event? 

That art work reminds me of that magazine from way back called Eternity.  Their covers were always just like that and they even had pill reviews (well not exactly, but quality tests anyway).

Monolith

• forum hero
Either taking too many drugs or drinking too much fizzy pop.

Would love to see a copy of that Eternity magazine! Hilarious to think they did such reviews. Got any back issues you could scan the cover of in Ben!?

BenF

• forum hero
Got any back issues you could scan the cover of in Ben!?

Unfortunately not mate.  We're talking way back... like around 1996 or summat.  I don't think I have much left from those young halcyon days; including memory. 

However, I'll put money that someone on here remembers the magazine and even has some old copies...

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
Isn't it about £17 to get in on Friday?  It seems a bit steep for a warehouse party to me.  It seems the ethos of these events is being forgotten about.  They seem to be cashing in on a cultural movement that formed because of a rejection of overpriced, overpoliced clubs.  Which is what this Boddingtons thing sounds like to me.

Ps The Enigma said it was £3 for a beer an'all.

BenF

• forum hero
The fact that it's at Boddingtons Brewery suggests that it's well over the invisble line that denotes "selling out".  Still, if you get to hear music and the vibe is friendly I'm not too worried.  If you look hard enough you can find parties and stuff that aren't commercially focused.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
I'm considering darkening the doors myself, though I seem to be unlucky when Jeff is in town: the fuckhead club owners just don't know when to stop allowing people into the building.  I mean, I like a sweaty rave chick as much as the next man, and I'll fight over a beer, but not for air!

But then, this is the UK.  Here, I get spotty kids in white baseball caps and 9 pills to the wind coming up to me and asking if I want to buy some drugs.  Which is nice.

2/12/06 Billy Nasty (excellent taste in both electro and techno) is at Time aka Bangor students union.  Which is close enough to crawl back home with triple vision and I don't need to worry about freaking people out on a train with the eyes-rolling-in-the-skull thing that sometimes happens...

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana

If I go to that sort of night I wanna neck stuff and that's just bad for me these days,

i know it sucks to have the immune system of a half dead hamster!

if work wasn't super busy i could get away with propping myself in front of the 'puter or having a few days off from the inevitable cold - but unfortunately current work situation means i would probably end up enhancing my career by bursting into tears in front of our client - because they said mean things and asked hard questions and it's wednesday and my world is ending.

the playtime to payoff ratio is all the wrong way round these days  - and i would rather go climbing (and i'm bitter as hell cos i'd like to go and get mashed without the consequences)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
I find fresh cranberry juice really helpful when a savage come-down is in the post.

Monolith

• forum hero
Mashed without consequence. A brilliant concept and possibly a problem name.

Talking of hot, sweaty and way way over capacity crowds. Squarepusher at Northern Light last year was obscene. As you mention Houdini, clubs rammed beyond all legal capacity are common place here. But that was really dangerous, people were practically screaming to stop being crushed.

Bring back the outdoor rave this coming year. I'll try and get hold of some of our local Thor's Bop rave video footage including the police helicopter siege. It's an amazing rave we hold on a place called Thurstason Common and the DJ's play from the top of Thors Rock, a very sizeable sandstone boulder. Always good-spirited and never uneventful!

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
There are other issue too:  last time I saw Mills was in Hamburg.  The club was so full the mixer conked out with XS condensation.

That half an hour without music was bastard-horrible. (Fully-looped in a room full of baying Krauts and no tunes...  Shudder...)

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
fwiw

i think mills is wank

there i've said and i feel better

*necks another cheeky half

(pah!, sweets these days...)

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
I will be there... but having just spoken to a mate who went to a do at the same venue a few weeks ago I'm somewhat reserved about how amazing it's going to be. My friend said that the sound quality wasn't good, the venue was ridiculously small, and there were police with sniffer dogs on the door. Can someone verify/deny these allegations because I really don't want to be caught out by any of the above.

BenF

• forum hero
Sniffer dogs?  Shit.  I am scared as well now. 

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
They can't do you on the contents of your tummy!  Wrap them in many rizla's.   Slow release!  Custom-fuckin'-designed for your purposes!

BenF

• forum hero
Hmm, top tips from Mr Dini.

Thinking about it, I have a friends that have been and they've never reported any dealings with the fuzz or their friendly sniffing dogs.  So I'm not worrying too much, but will take precautions. 

I once got sniffed out at Lime Street station, on my way back from climbing somewhere.  I obviously had residual odours on my clothes and the sniffer puppy took a great liking to me.  Got taken backstage by plainclothes, who promptly emptied my sack and gave me a thorough searching (including a very naughty feel down my underpants).  The look on their faces when they came across a nalgene bottle full of white powder (in my sack, not my underwear I hasten to add).  I couldn't help but giggle as they inspected the bottle full of chalk. 

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Sooooo  are there any Cosmonauts of Inner Space back on Earth - who can still type - who can say if it was any good?

And this snifferdog shizz?

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
The night was good, but only because jeff mills was there. The venue wasn't very good, the other dj's weren't particularly good, the sound was poor (which is why I ended up standing in front of the speaker the whole time), but Jeff did play a very nice set. Fun was had by all and I woke up in another man's bed. Can't complain. (apart from it was a rip off to get in especially as you could have turned up and bought a ticket for £10 from people who had spares... live and learn).  :dance1:

Doylo

• forum hero
Fun was had by all and I woke up in another man's bed.

Deja Vu again Uncle?

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
More a way of life...   :kiss1:

BenF

• forum hero
The night was good, but only because jeff mills was there. The venue wasn't very good, the other dj's weren't particularly good, the sound was poor.

Some agreement from me and my companions.  We thought that the night was overall very good, particularly since Jeff Mills was there and he played as well as one would expect from a master.  The venue was better than I think Uncle gives credit; I like big warehouse rave type things but I didn't like the second warehouse (the one that Mills didn't play in).  I didn't really listen to much other than Layo and Bushwacka and Jeff Mills mainly because the sound was indeed shite in the second venue (very shite in fact).  I liked the vibe at the place though, no badness as far as I could spot.  And I bumped into someone I haven't seen for ten years.  Which was a bit of a headfcuk given my state. 

Promptly went back to party in Liverpool and got even more off our heads until some point on Saturday.

It was good.

I have a headache today.

But I didn't wake up in another mans bed. :(

lowlife

• regular
I would like to recommend this lot. no police dogs on their doors.
Friday nights party was very cool.

http://www.c90.org/

Monolith

• forum hero
Good recommendation lowlife. Seen Rob Hall on a number of occasions at various warp setups and he was a top dj and nice guy. Have never been to a dedicated Skam night, but would love to some time.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal