UKBouldering.com

Roof box beta (Read 7200 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Roof box beta
August 04, 2016, 07:44:29 pm
Due to recent baby arrival, there has been a big loss of bouldering mat storage room in the car...

So eyeing up roof boxes. Anyone any experience (those to buy or avoid)? Looking at Thule ocean 100 at the moment (370l, £189). Got the roof bars etc... Not a lot going on eBay or gumtree my way...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 07:55:51 pm by tomtom »

weakdave

• forum abuser
  • Technically lacking
#1 Re: Roof box beta
August 04, 2016, 08:07:22 pm
We had the Exodus 470L from Halfords. Its as big as the boot of family car and I think it was about £250. We used it a fair bit and never had any bother from it!

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#2 Re: Roof box beta
August 04, 2016, 08:46:16 pm
obvious but make sure it'll fit your pad, or vice versa actually. My roofbox isn't deep enough for my Ocun (bought after the roofbox) so have to take the waffer theen DMM pad on me jollies.

galpinos

• forum hero
#3 Re: Roof box beta
August 04, 2016, 08:56:24 pm
Halfords have deals on boxes at the mo if you buy them with bars as well. I got the Exodus 360L with bars and feet etc for £190 all in. It's done one trip and is fine. Never had another but it seems quite flimsy, no idea what the Thule ones are like.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#4 Re: Roof box beta
August 04, 2016, 09:25:25 pm
If you're considering a 3/4 buy full width, buy one that opens both sides if you're going to be using it regularly and need to cram in as much stuff  as possible.  Had mine for 9 years now and wish I'd bought full width.  Even after the need for prams, pushchairs and travel cots has passed kids take up a lot of room with stuff to entertain them.  So if you don't want to sacrifice your pads go Large.

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 Re: Roof box beta
August 04, 2016, 10:38:06 pm
The one I'm looking at is 140 by 90 by 42 cm... Large snap pad will fit with room for other bits... Next size up ones seem huuge (and more expensive).

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#6 Re: Roof box beta
August 05, 2016, 01:21:19 am
I have a massive Exodus one from Halfords, can't fault it. Filled it as full as possible on plenty of trips now.

T_B

• forum hero
#7 Re: Roof box beta
August 05, 2016, 09:04:53 am
I've got a 370L one. It doesn't seem to take much to fill it up (one pad, plus other bits and pieces). Wish I'd got a bigger one.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#8 Re: Roof box beta
August 05, 2016, 09:08:45 am
Remember to punch some holes in it so the baby can breathe.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#9 Re: Roof box beta
August 05, 2016, 10:00:14 am
Apparently Halfords Exodus boxes are made by Thule.

I hired a 470l one this summer and it seemed identical to my Thule box. 470 seems like a good size to get, not ridiculous but can swallow a lot of luggage. Was fine sitting at 80 to 85 mph on Autoroutes.

You'll probably have more luck finding one at the end of the summer.

tomtom

• forum hero
#10 Re: Roof box beta
August 28, 2016, 01:33:43 pm
Thanks all - in the end there was nowhere to store it in the cellar (couldn't get one down the stairs) and we've no garage/shed etc... So went for a foldable one (rigid base)... Not as large as I'd have liked (280l) but big enough to do the job. Half price via eBay!

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#11 Re: Roof box beta
September 02, 2016, 11:07:41 am
Looks good Tom! We are in the market for one of these would be good to get some feedback once you've used it a bit?

tomtom

• forum hero
#12 Re: Roof box beta
September 04, 2016, 04:36:28 pm
Only used it for one (long  - Manchester <> Norfolk) trip....

Its bigger than it looks (280l) and can only hold 50kg, but great for soft stuff, eg MrsTT's endless bags of shoes and coats.. baby cot/mattress also fitted in fine... No problems with noise/flapping on the motorway (took it up to 90 a couple of times and no probems). Its waterproof - we drove back in Saturdays rain - pissing down all the way, driving over the 62. Folds up small - and comes with a bag and quick release locking stuff to hold it on. Folded its about 110 by 30 by 30 cm (if not s=maller)- and not heavy. Overall really well designed - straps have velcro tabs to roll up and tuck away the slack - -and theres a little bag thing that fits around the zip heads (and a padlock - supplied) so it doesnt bash around when being used.

Negatives - its got a hard base - but its not super hard - heavy things cayse the base to bow a little. Its soft - so you are supposed to take it off when you empty it to drive around normally etc.. this isnt too bad (5 min job) as its designed to fold up etc.. so is light. If its pissing down when packing this might be a chore... it also needed drying when we got back - as whilst it was waterproof inside - the straps are nylon fabric - so damp -and any drops of water on top of it needed drying etc..

If I had room to store a proper - larger box, I'd have got one. But we don't - so this has been great. But if you have a garage/shed to store it in then I'd get a bigger / standard rigid one.

List price is about £250 *ouch* - but brand new ones often on ebay frmo £125 to £150 (we paid £145 and the next day there were a couple for £125...

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#13 Re: Roof box beta
September 05, 2016, 12:12:43 pm
Cheers Tom, am pretty sold on this!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#14 Re: Roof box beta
July 23, 2019, 12:49:36 pm
Is there any up to date 2019 beta that anybody would like to impart?

I need to get some bars and a box and have never bought either before.

The reason I'm looking is the same as everyone else's reason. Going on holiday with a small child.

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
#15 Re: Roof box beta
July 23, 2019, 01:07:36 pm
We were in rhe same boat Will and got the basic Halfords Raised Rail roof bars and Thule Touring M roof box to go on a Skoda Fabia estate. Weve used it several times now with decent loads and don't have any complaints. No bells or whistles, but does the job and fastens to the roof easily. Youve just got to make sure its properly closed when you lock it, as it is possible to think youve locked it when its wedged open with bulky luggage.
Bon voyage!

tomtom

• forum hero
#16 Re: Roof box beta
July 23, 2019, 01:13:59 pm
If doing this again... I'd be tempted to buy the bars - but beg/borrow the roofbox.

If you're going to buy one make it as large as you can afford/stick on your car/have room to store.

Nutty

• obsessive maniac
#17 Re: Roof box beta
July 23, 2019, 01:19:53 pm
No new beta, but thought I'd chip in and say that I got the same foldable one as tomtom after seeing his post (for the same reasons: small child and limited space to store a roof box) and it's been great for us. Had it since November 2016 and get plenty of use out of it when holidaying in the UK or going to visit family. Given it allows me to get a pad in the car with all the other paraphernalia then it's definitely been worth the money. I've not had any water get in despite being caught in some horrendous rain showers going to/from Wales etc.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#18 Re: Roof box beta
July 23, 2019, 01:42:55 pm
Thanks, all. I think I'll go with a rigid one as storage isn't a problem (I mean, yes, it'll get in the way of the garage board, but no more so than the hoard of pram, travel pram, travel cot, old high chair, scooter, balance bike etc etc etc etc that's there already).

Halford's have a deal on at the moment where they sell you a box, bars, and fit it for you and knock 20% off the price. I'm normally sceptical about this sort of thing (presumably they dazzle you with a sexy looking box and then fit the shittest bars at an artificially inflated price?) but looking at the individual sale prices of what they're bundling it does seem like it just might be worthwhile.

My only concern is not really having a grasp over what one of these behemoths might be like on my little hatchback. I suppose it doesn't matter if the nose overhangs the windscreen a bit. but do I need to be concerned about not being able to open the boot properly when it's on?

tomtom

• forum hero
#19 Re: Roof box beta
July 23, 2019, 01:53:44 pm
Mine knocks back the fuel economy by 20% and makes a fair bit of noise. Most have a 50kg load limit to be aware of. Fill it with light stuff.... Look wider rather than longer if you have a small car...

I recently borrowed Nai's one which was solid and you could open from either side which was very convenient.. If I had the storage room I'd get a hard one.

Rumour has it that the budget Halfords ones are made by Thule but on the cheap...

Shop around - Halfords are not always the cheapest... I also got genuine roof bars for my car (from a forum - less than half dealer price) which are really neat as they slot in nicely and engage with soem special holes in the doorframe etc.. All depends on what car you have etc..

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#20 Re: Roof box beta
July 26, 2019, 12:27:48 pm
I got mine from RoofBox. Put in your reg, and they suggest the parts you need. They also explain the difference between the brands they stock.

Went for the Kamei Husky XXL which fits the Organic 5" Big Pad, a Blubber Pad, and several bags in front of, and behind them, plus a few bits and pieces on top. It's truly enormous, but not cheap. Although it has gone up since I got it 3 years ago (quelle surprise).

Went for the Cruz Airo Bars, which I leave on the car. I only ever hear a whistle when the wind is super-strong, and head on.

SamT

• forum hero
#21 Re: Roof box beta
July 26, 2019, 01:01:23 pm
Another shout out for Roofbox.co.uk. 

Been great for all sorts of roofrack/roof box shenanigans.

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#22 Re: Roof box beta
July 27, 2019, 02:16:05 pm
I have just purchased a roof bag as it is only to take two pads and free up the boot space, went for this one off Amazon AOAFUN Car Roof Box Waterproof Cargo Bag ,1680D Strong Roof Bags Storage with Wide Straps for Best for Traveling Cars Vans SUVs (10 Cubic Feet) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0739XCYQW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ZYepDb5E95GWY.

With the dimensions it should take two normal sized organic pads snuggly. If it doesn't it will be going back! Anyway I went for this one as it is heavier fabric than lots of the others that are available and lower profile so hopefully not as loud and less impact on fuel consumption.

It will sit directly on the car roof between the roof bars which shouldn't be an issue as the car is on over 100,000 miles already has a few dings and will be worth not much when we come to sell so not worried about potentially scratching/dinting the roof. You can buy non slip mats to stop potential scratching however I probably won't bother.

Anyway I will post some photos up when it comes next week of it fitted on the car and some initial feedback.

tomtom

• forum hero
#23 Re: Roof box beta
July 27, 2019, 02:31:30 pm
Cut up old yoga mat (or new one from decathlon for £2) makes a good thin anti scratch (and skip) mat.

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#24 Re: Roof box beta
August 03, 2019, 01:28:42 pm
Update... The roof bag didn't fit my organic pads. It measured nearly 20cm smaller than quoted on Amazon. Still I got a refund and decided to buy the largest bag I could off eBay instead - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F183502258586.

The quality of this one doesn't seem as good however it got the job done bringing two organic pads and two starter pads to North Wales without moving or flapping. See below photos of it on the car,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/photos/share/xE1ZgfoybRKgDQCoxo3OUOzJ3GJr0orjMqEH6f3r6Jq

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal