UKBouldering.com

Limestone Bouldering (Read 14584 times)

Big Frank

• forum abuser
Limestone Bouldering
October 16, 2002, 09:20:38 am
Will it ever happen in Yorkshire.
Will there be a guide "Yorkshire Limestone Bouldering"
Have you bouldered on Limestone in Yorkshire?

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#1 Limestone Bouldering
October 16, 2002, 10:42:39 am
is there any bouldering on Yorkshire Limestone??????????

Big Frank

• forum abuser
#2 Limestone Bouldering
October 16, 2002, 10:48:18 am
No but there must be tons of potential.

I've expressed this opinion on RT with little reply.

Mark my words it will come.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 Limestone Bouldering
October 16, 2002, 10:49:59 am
Hmmm.....Wetherby.....hmmmmm........  :)

dave

#4 Limestone Bouldering
October 16, 2002, 10:54:23 am
Isn't there claimed to be boldering at the base of kilnsey, like the "Mandala training traverse?"

Roche Abbey is in Yorkshire anyway.

Big Frank

• forum abuser
#5 Limestone Bouldering
October 16, 2002, 10:54:46 am
Wetherby!!!!

I was thinking more along the lines of all those smaller edges in upper wharfedale around Kettelwell (sp).
And how about problem starts and sit downs at Kilnsey?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6 Limestone Bouldering
October 16, 2002, 11:05:47 am
Is this some sort of sick wind-up to get us to trudge miles across midge-infested moors to find some crumbling choss death  :lol:

I've even thought about this in the Peak, looking at stuff in Lathkill Dale, etc but then suddenly come to my senses again.

Have you looked at any?

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#7 Limestone Bouldering
October 16, 2002, 11:09:55 am
Leave Wetherby alone!

I spent many a happy day as a youth, folded up chip wrapper as a chalk bag swinging my way along the lip traverse and dangling from the big smelly roof with the fre damage. Happy Days.

There's some great bouldering at Kilnsey, and I've done a bit at Crummackdale and Attermire. I'm sure there's quite a lot, waiting for some fat weak punter with time on their hands.... :D

Big Frank

• forum abuser
#8 Limestone Bouldering
October 16, 2002, 11:14:37 am
Bubba, in a word No. Not in Yorkshire anyway.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#9 Limestone Bouldering
October 16, 2002, 11:41:46 am
I actually quite like some of the limestone bouldering at Symonds Yat - no that's obscure! I must admint I've only actually been to Wetherby once, and was then tempted away again by the grit.

Could be a new summertime activity - seems a shame to waste valuable grit friction in the winter.

PS Stu, you don't have to be so polite in your signature - we can say Fuck! on here you know  :)

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#10 Limestone Bouldering
October 16, 2002, 11:45:29 am
Quite, Bubba, Quite.

As you can see by the fact that I have used my full, given name, as my moniker, and not some "fly" handle, I'm not quite "down with the kids" :D

Also, I try to be as polite as possible to people I've never met and would never actually use words like f*ck, or heaven forbid, arse-munch.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#11 Limestone Bouldering
October 16, 2002, 12:15:30 pm
Yeah, man - sheesh, you're just so Old Skool dood! Using yer own name, how unhip canya get man  :P

I like to encourage swearing on this board (oh shit, what have I said?) in order to help those poor souls who've been repressed for far too long on the other nice polite uk boards.

dave

#12 Limestone Bouldering
October 16, 2002, 12:25:46 pm
Quote from: "Bubba"
I like to encourage swearing on this board.

Thats just what i've been waiting to fucking hear for cunting ages. From now on I'll be twatting swearing like theres no shitting tomorrow. Everyone will bollocky think i've bastard well got ass-licking tourette gaylord syndrome.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#13 Limestone Bouldering
October 16, 2002, 12:37:34 pm
That's it! Come on Dave, let it out! Release the tension maaaan!

dave

#14 Limestone Bouldering
October 16, 2002, 12:53:11 pm
Its just like everytime i fall of a frustrating boulder problem, serious effing and blinding.

Its shit on ukclimbing, you can't even say "meltwater" without an asterisk appearing in the middle.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#15 Limestone Bouldering
October 16, 2002, 01:06:25 pm
Right, that's it - you've said the M word - how could you say m*ltwat*r on this board?!

We may have to ban you for that little display, some people always just take it too far!

bouldermonkey

• regular
#16 Re: Limestone Bouldering
November 18, 2006, 11:34:26 am
Sorry to dig this up from the dark ages past...

however, have many of you kind folk bouldered up at wetherby?  if so, whats it like?

I'm coming back to the sport after a 4 year lay off so ideally I'm around the V2 V3 grade.. Ive got Yorkshire Gritstone Bouldering by Rock Fax (Alan Cameron-Duff) and they qualify the lower V numbers as being "not worth a special visit". :shrug:

Is this the case?

I only ask as i have a week off work and I'm considering a day out to wetherby.. its gotta be wetherby as i don't drive and I'm coming from York.

Any advise, tips, views and comments on wetherby (or any other easily accessible crags on public transport) would be GREATLY appreciated.

Many Thanks in advance.

BM. :thumbsup:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#17 Re: Limestone Bouldering
November 20, 2006, 08:05:32 am
Thats some amazing excavation work, 4 years old! Wetherby is great for working stamina, as the rock is so polished you can just about traverse forever without wearing out the skin on your fingertips. You just need to keep an eye out for dog turds when you eventually fall off. Could be combined with Hetchell if you get bored. If finding a problem of a certain grade and then beating it into submission is tour thing, probably best not to bother.

webbo

• forum hero
#18 Re: Limestone Bouldering
November 20, 2006, 08:58:37 am
you could get the bus/ train to leeds then caley or ilkley are accessable on the bus.or go to oaklands climbing wall and and post a note on the message board for lifts/partners.there are quite a lot of climbers operating out of york at the moment. 

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#19 Re: Limestone Bouldering
November 20, 2006, 09:56:22 am
 Did notice quite a lot of people going to Kilnsey this year just to boulder, something I have never seen before.

bouldermonkey

• regular
#20 Re: Limestone Bouldering
August 28, 2007, 03:44:13 pm
Cheers folks,

Better late than never, i took a trip to wetherby over the bank holiday just gone  :o

And i must say, very pleasently surprised!!

The sun was shining, the brass band pumping out patriotic tunes, such as Land of Hope and Glory, British Grenadiers etc... and as i lay my fingers on the start holes, and made the first pull up from the sit start, they piped up with Rule Britannia..   :thumbsup:

Definately be going back there, lovely crag, ideal facilities, and excellent location.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#21 Re: Limestone Bouldering
August 28, 2007, 04:37:42 pm
The sun was shining, the brass band pumping out patriotic tunes,

The essence of any good climbing day out!

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#22 Re: Limestone Bouldering
August 30, 2007, 12:16:43 pm
The sun was shining, the brass band pumping out patriotic tunes.... Definately be going back there, lovely crag, ideal facilities, and excellent location.

Crikey I must just have been in a bad mood when I went last month.  The appropriate part of my YGB guide has annotated with the phrase "multi-storey pigeon toilet" and I resolved to drive the three times longer to Rubicon / Raven if I ever felt the urge for lime again!  Perhaps it was the music when you went though: they say "patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel", maybe the same applies to dubious crags?!

Stubbs

#23 Re: Limestone Bouldering
August 30, 2007, 12:52:03 pm
Aren't you from the NE Moose?  You should check out the bouldering at Kilnsey if you haven't already as that must be one of the closest bits of limestone to you?  Plenty to go at - the best lines are non eliminate and quite obvious, including the starts to a few of the routes on the left hand end.

dave

#24 Re: Limestone Bouldering
August 30, 2007, 01:28:39 pm
Aren't you from the NE Moose?  You should check out the bouldering at Kilnsey if you haven't already as that must be one of the closest bits of limestone to you? 

you're forgetting Houghton Graveyard. I hear it gives Kilnsey wuite a run for its money in the "dave's never been to this crag" stakes.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal