UKBouldering.com

Actualised visions of a pub quiz jackpot question (Read 3804 times)

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
It happened last night. The £120 jackpot question was on mountaineering. 'Other than Bonnington, name either of the two other British climbers that accompanied him on the Everest expedition 30 years ago. Haston and Scott of course.

Alas it wasn't my question, but the chap on the next table. Unluckily for him, he didn't get it right. I've had visions of something like this happening, but I didn't think it would ever happen. Not too original a question from le quiz master, as he once asked Pemb for 130 quid odd a question which had Dougal Haston as the answer.

underground

• forum hero
And you didn't offer to sell him ethe answer for £60?  ::)

Paz

• junky
Like climbing, pub quizing has a self policing system of ethics based on honesty. 

No bribary, team collaboration, mobile phones, WAP, shouting out the incorrect answer really confidently, shirking rounds, hogging the picture round or pens, looking in the encyclopedia on the pub shelf, over use of the dude rule, no not giving an answer (cos haf the time your guess is right), no copying, no changing your answers after they're read out, no self-marking, internet anagram solvers, hesitation, repetition and no deviation.  Also going to quizes with easy questions that are too easy for you is really unsatisfying. 

Pemb

• regular
  • probably injured
    • Longest Mile Records
That quiz master loves climbing questions! Got £120 for that Dougal Haston question and then £40 four weeks later for naming the second highest mountain in Equador.  ;D

It’s very hard to find a decent pub quiz. Most of the ones I go to are full of cheaters. There’s nothing more annoying than getting beaten by a team of 16 year old thick chavs who have been texting all night! In some I’ve been to the quiz master walks round giving everyone the answers. Very annoying!

P.S. Monolith - Quiz Team Aguilera should be fully operational over the Christmas period so watch out!

Paz

• junky
There's a QTA in Bristol too.  I'm really dissappointed in them that they just nicked the name off the internet or Chris Moyles.  I'm trying to remember what the other amusing pub quiz team names were.

Pemb

• regular
  • probably injured
    • Longest Mile Records
It's a class name for a team. Pretty sure my mate came up with that one himself. Used to be called Ray Jinardon but decided to chage the name to be more family friendly and to stop the weekly barrage of really lame jokes from the idiot quiz master.

dave

ind a decent pub quiz. Most of the ones I go to are full of cheaters. There’s nothing more annoying than getting beaten by a team of 16 year old thick chavs who have been texting all night!

If you're going to cheat at least do it by the time honoured methods. I.e. eyebaling someone elses sheet on the way to the bogs, and/or befrending the landlord.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
Quality, won at the prestigious White Lion quiz again tonight under our aka of The Bezerkers Circus Gherka's Workers. 40 quid in the winnings account now and slowly increasing for team do at christmas.
Used to be called Ray Jinardon

Jesus Christ, when I think back to the ageing quiz master trying to pronounce that without his glasses every week, my sides truly split. Look forward to meeting QTA head-to-head this Christmas!

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
Trivia is huge here - Just about every pub has one at least once a week, many with good money to be won. I reckon you could make a living of it if you/your team was good enough.

We do this free music quiz every week and its fucking nails  :shrug:. Often choose a different name but the current one is A Flock of C Words.

At least everyone wins something. In fact, I came home with this last week...

Lucky me.  ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal