UKBouldering.com

Ian Mountford (Read 1928 times)

SamT

• forum hero
Ian Mountford
February 09, 2021, 10:47:40 pm

For anyone out there who might have known Ian and is unaware, last week he finally lost his two year long battle with cancer.

I first met Ian whilst working at Outside in Hathersage in the early 90s, where he was a full time member of staff and part of the regular clubbing crew too.

He stands out as one of the funniest people I've had the pleasure of knowing.  They say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but Ian had refined and honed his to be razor sharp would always have me in fits.

I feel privileged to have been able to go for a pint with him (and Bubba of this site) last September where he was on good form and not in the least bit disconsolate about his situation having being diagnosed as terminal.

Some may recognise these Nick White photos from the rear cover of the old '95 Devon guide.  (Cant find the actual shot though)

Rest in Peace Ian.

Thought I'd post this in its own thread as it might reach few more folks than if at the bottom of the RIP thread

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#1 Re: Ian Mountford
February 10, 2021, 03:04:50 am
Dear Sam,

that's a lovely post, and great photos too x

I've written the following as a tribute, and in memory of some great times shared with Ian.

Ian,

I’m sat in your old room at Glen Road, as I write this. I remember the day you turned up at my place; you were welcome straight away. Back then, it was home. You, Mike, Matt, Nick and many, many others passing through at the time, all part of the family. We had great times, some arguments, gently settled through Matt’s Jedi diplomacy (Matt Spencer – I hope you are able to access this thread, and someone can let you know the very sad news about Ian).

Even back then (1992?) it was very clear that you’d set out on your own, resolute in making the path your goal. I remember how you’d sometimes disappear to collect your thoughts, spending hours drafting a letter, always with a sense of duty to address the real issues. It was something you had to do, to be honest, never duck the issue. It often seemed to be with a sense of regret, that you’d resign yourself with a particular decision, or action that had to be taken. Difficult things were unavoidable.

However, I might as well say this now, the path you were looking for was the uncertainty that came with the decisions you made, and perhaps very briefly, towards the end, you were able to live a little with the lightness of already being where you wanted to be. In as much as you wanted to plough a lone furrow, you were never alone, and the vulnerability of the line you followed touched the hearts of many more than you may have realised. You were very dear, especially to Linda, and the girls, Kathryn and Eleanor, and of course Jodie, but to all of us.

In more recent years we’d had less contact; a few passing chats while you were out running, but you influenced my life tremendously. You introduced me to Anthony Storr and his “Wisdom of Uncertainty” – befitting your later professional life as a counsellor.

I remember so vividly one trip over to Wales, Claire (Giddy) waving us off for the weekend, on our adventures. I don’t think either of us had been doing much climbing. I hadn’t touched a hold for two years, so it was adventures on Welsh classics for us; Bovine on the Wenault, Britomartis and Dream at Gogarth, me getting lost in the snow on Lithrig up on Cloggy. You belayed for what seemed like ages, in the freezing cold, without complaining – until later of course, because you had to say something. I’m glad you did; it was selfish of me. Apart from that, it had been a dream trip. We drove over playing Stevie Ray Vaughan and Joe Satriani; we were indeed Surfing with the Alien!

Another constant from Glen Road (as well as The Grand Potato!) was you practicing your electric guitar, and of course, Matt on his bongos. When we’d stayed at your mate’s house in ‘Beris, you’d cautioned me against listening to his hi-fi. He had a Sondek, and you told me that if I listened to it, I would then have to buy one. I wouldn’t have a choice in the matter. You were right. I remember one night of many, we were all sitting listening to Deep Purple – and Stevie Ray playing Tin Can Alley.

You played several gigs at the Foundry, back in it’s formative years. Sorry, I can’t remember all of the band members, but they were successful and happy nights. There were the regular house trips to go raving at the BYO in Doncaster too, of course! Mike and Sel, Nick White, Ian Vincent, and many others. Mike was always practicing his mixing upstairs at home, and played a few sets at the Foundry too. It was a fucking great time Ian.

I think you and I probably outgrew each other slightly, but you were always so willingly supportive, when I was going through some difficult times, and very much Linda too of course. I love you both.

We never know the special ways in which our paths touch those of others, but they are very often not as divergent as we might think. You’re not very far away, and neither is that time, back in 1992, when you are as I’ll remember you, Surfing with the Alien.

Dave x

With much love and special thoughts to Jodie, Linda, Kathryn, Eleanor, and to many of our friends.

A special thank you to Sam T for putting up this thread for our dear friend Ian.

These are photos of Joe Satriani in concert, but remarkably like Ian, maybe gigging at The Foundry - still Surfing with the Alien!

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#2 Re: Ian Mountford
February 12, 2021, 01:59:18 pm
Thanks for posting Sam, I had not heard but knew about his illness. Sad news. My thoughts go out to Jodie.

SamT

• forum hero
#3 Re: Ian Mountford
February 12, 2021, 05:01:39 pm
I'm glad this has reached a few folks that might otherwise not have heard.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 05:15:08 pm by SamT »

al

• obsessive maniac
    • 50folds
#4 Re: Ian Mountford
February 17, 2021, 01:56:44 pm
RIP ian, thanks sam, hadn't heard and am sorry to hear, bless him

SamT

• forum hero
#5 Re: Ian Mountford
February 23, 2021, 10:14:25 pm
For those that might not know..