UKBouldering.com

Non-Quality Bouldering Videos (Read 1942026 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#4175 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 13, 2015, 05:28:53 pm
 :agree: :wub:

Cringe, yes, but hey a pair of Germany's strongest comp climbers getting some exposure and getting to show off to punters on national TV, fair play to them.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#4176 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 13, 2015, 06:18:14 pm
On the other hand, I'm only posting this as a lesson in how NOT to do problem editing:

Unwatchably choppy on almost every problem. You know something is up when the longest continual footage is someone brushing a hold, and they even manage to do a little snip and cut on Quine FFS. N.B. Unlikely to spoil any beta at least.

rodma

• forum hero
#4177 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 13, 2015, 07:24:35 pm
Why bother editing the shit out of footage when you didn't bother setting the shots up well in the first place. That was horrible fiend. Maybe they were checking that their software was working

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#4178 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 13, 2015, 07:54:33 pm
You boys are meeeeeeeaaaaaaaannnnniiiieeeessss. Meanie meanie meanie :ras:

I've just liked it on vimeo. There's no accounting for taste!

andy_e

• forum hero
#4179 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 13, 2015, 09:18:47 pm
I don't mind their editing too much but the relentless wobstep has me reaching for the mute button every time.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#4180 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 13, 2015, 10:47:48 pm
AndyD, I don't know the guys, nothing against them, but I do think it's a showcase in how to spoil otherwise decent, clear footage of problems - it just really doesn't show the quality of climbing nor flow of movement.

Boredboy

• menacing presence
#4181 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 13, 2015, 11:09:15 pm
Not sure where to put this....

Jan Hojer & Jule Wurm showboating on german TV

http://tvtotal.prosieben.de/videos/Profikletterer-Juliane-und-Jan--/21346/

Jan Hojer does one-finger pullups on a beastmaker. Tops of for power, of course...

Is it time to bring out the video of Jerry on You Bet again?

andyd

• forum hero
#4182 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 13, 2015, 11:54:01 pm
AndyD, I don't know the guys, nothing against them, but I do think it's a showcase in how to spoil otherwise decent, clear footage of problems - it just really doesn't show the quality of climbing nor flow of movement.

I put loads of effort into my videos (:lol: I really do) and it's better than I could do. Fair enough, put it in non quality, but don't belittle his efforts. Play nice dude.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#4183 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 14, 2015, 08:17:15 am
Well said andyd.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#4184 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 14, 2015, 10:54:49 am
Belittling my arse - notice you say "Play nice" after quoting me saying "otherwise decent, clear footage".

It's valid criticism - that's why I posted it. You get a video put on UKC as their Friday night video, then it's public enough to expect some public response.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4185 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 14, 2015, 01:11:06 pm
Perhaps comment on FUKC rather than perpetuating things you think are crap here just so you can comment on how crap you think it is.  Or post a comment on the videos page on Vimeo / YouTube.

It's a strange mindset (to me) to spend time posting something one thinks is shit just so that you can comment on how shit you think it is.

If you genuinely want to provide critique then you should direct it at the producers rather than telling us what you think about it because quite frankly I, and I expect many others, don't care what you think of it.

Scouse D

• forum hero
#4186 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 14, 2015, 01:34:45 pm
Really like those lawson beta videos.

andyd

• forum hero
#4187 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 14, 2015, 04:26:49 pm
It's a strange mindset (to me) to spend time posting something one thinks is shit just so that you can comment on how shit you think it is.

Bang on
Really like those lawson beta videos.
:agree:

erm, sam

• forum hero
#4188 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 14, 2015, 04:54:32 pm
Watch out, Fiend tantrums pretty easily if you question his right to piss and moan about other peoples videos. Those toys make such a mess when scattered on the floor.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#4189 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 14, 2015, 07:28:50 pm
Although my first post phrased it harshly it should be obvious as I posted it as an example to others to try to discourage editing that spoils footage.

If Andy or anyone wants to explain / justify what they like more about constantly changing camera angles with short overlaps of moves so you don't see the problem climbed in one go, obviously I'll be interested to hear that.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 07:35:02 pm by Fiend »

abarro81

• forum hero
#4190 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 14, 2015, 08:11:21 pm
Do you dislike the big up/LT11 editing Fiend? That's quite choppy but I generally like it. I thought the vid you linked was quite nice, though I'd agree that it was too choppy, or too overtly choppy, for my liking. I think is is partly because the chops are between very similar angles in may cases. IMO it's much better to flick between angles which are more different, or close-ups, rather than just where the camera has moved a few ft. If you watch the dosages there's generally only a cut if the angle changes by 90 degrees or more or if the close-up-ness changes significantly. I suspect that this is because if you're cutting between significantly different angles it feels like it adds something whereas with similar angles it feels gratuitous.   Incidentally, when there's chopping I like it to facilitate editing moves to the beat, rather than angle switches to the beat, but that may just be me.

bolehillbilly

• stalker
#4191 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 14, 2015, 08:54:59 pm

Will shove this in here as well as not everyone will check the re-cleaned thread.
Some well good problems near Black Rocks.
First time using Lightworks so production levels are limestone basic.
Didn't miss this but also didn't comment on the other thread so will do here...good work all round, and beta on T Bone start a bonus too.

PipeSmoke

• menacing presence
#4192 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 14, 2015, 10:16:16 pm
Although my first post phrased it harshly it should be obvious as I posted it as an example to others to try to discourage editing that spoils footage.

If Andy or anyone wants to explain / justify what they like more about constantly changing camera angles with short overlaps of moves so you don't see the problem climbed in one go, obviously I'll be interested to hear that.

Yeah yeah, maybe suggest on the vimeo that you think the way they have edited it has made it seem choppy, so they can improve on this. I agree the slight change in camera angles is for the most part unnecessary.  I think other than that they are well made videos with some nice climbing, decent footage, and chilled out music to accompany.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#4193 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 15, 2015, 10:27:15 am
I thought the vid you linked was quite nice, though I'd agree that it was too choppy, or too overtly choppy, for my liking. I think is is partly because the chops are between very similar angles in may cases. IMO it's much better to flick between angles which are more different, or close-ups, rather than just where the camera has moved a few ft. If you watch the dosages there's generally only a cut if the angle changes by 90 degrees or more or if the close-up-ness changes significantly.

:agree: It's the lack of difference between the angles that draws attention to the cuts rather than the frequency of the edits.

I quite liked the film myself.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 10:33:22 am by cheque »

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4194 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 15, 2015, 10:47:44 am

:lol: Unfortunately people don't make videos for you or your seal of approval and, since you seem to be missing it, different people like different things  :o .

I could just about understand being mildly aggrieved if you had paid to watch these things, but you haven't.  Perhaps next time just hit stop and find another video to watch instead.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#4195 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 15, 2015, 10:56:58 am
My favourites are when someone stands a camera on a tripod thirty feet away then tries the same problem over and over for about five minutes and then does it just near the end.  They're brilliant they are.  Even better when there's a shot of them on the mat cleaning their shoes. Oh and not forgetting the directors cut including the brushing the holds scene.

Gallant

• player
#4196 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 15, 2015, 12:03:23 pm

I'm with Fiend on the poor quality editting. I'd have understood if they hadn't made the moves overlap so you watch small slap twice from nigh on the same angle. If you saw small slap - cut - hand on said hold and then moves from there, it would flow. In its current state, it's way too jarring, and it feels like they're making the short film longer than it needs to be without any reason.

andyd

• forum hero
#4197 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 15, 2015, 07:11:54 pm
Good. Difference of opinion. Hopefully said film maker doesn't give a flying fook.

Let's move on. Please.

Joe Lawson

• Joe
#4198 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 15, 2015, 07:36:23 pm
Hi,
I don't post on here very often but thought I would post to say thank you for the the positive feedback as well as the negative on mine and my brothers video. Its good to hear what people think of it. Sam does take pleasure in the editing side of the videos and does like to experiment with different editing techniques and different cuts and mixes of clips. We do try to keep the videos relatively neutral whilst adding a little something to make them differ from other such videos, but unfortunately it is very hard to appeal to and please everyone. The point made about the changes between very similar filming angle clips I definitely can see when watching it back with that in mind, so will bear it in mind for the future.
Cheers
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 08:08:03 pm by Joe Lawson »

ducko

• junky
#4199 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 15, 2015, 11:16:25 pm
lots of the videos ideas are great and spliced editing really works when trying to keep people interested in the shots but as others have said different angles would be better, i love editing too and am no pro myself it just takes a load of practice i think!
check this out if you havent already for ideas:
everything about this video is good, the artistic angles and shots, the great lighting, the difference between the pace of the video. i guess having a gimbal and crane as well as a crew help but you get the idea!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal