UKBouldering.com

Scariest topout (Read 2349 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Scariest topout
June 04, 2003, 03:13:17 pm
What's your all time scariest topout? You can include routes too if you have a good tail of horror and near death.

My all time ones are various ones from Symonds Yat, clawing desperately up steep mud banks filled with loose rocks. Sweet....unless it started raining when you were on route.....

dave

#1 Scariest topout
June 04, 2003, 03:42:09 pm
can't really think of any, can think of loads i fell off the topout, like composition des forces (isatis - v.knackered), graviton (sabots), etc etc

DScuffle

• addict
#2 Scariest topout
June 04, 2003, 03:45:03 pm
At chatsworth there's a short E1 6a.  I kicked out the only bit of gear mid crux, which my belayer seemed need to tell me (would have been much better not knowing,  as I couldn't reverse it).  Got to the top, which was a muddy leavy affair, and had to stand on a rotten tree which was cracking and creaking to finish it.  And that's one of the reasons I now exclusively boulder.

There's a nice exhilerating top out on the B5 three pocket slab at the Roaches (lower tear).  I repeated it again this weekend and it had my heart in my mouth the same as it did the first time.

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#3 Scariest topout
June 04, 2003, 04:30:55 pm
King krank at trwyn when i went off route, pulling up to a ledge on two grass tussocks which started to part company with the earth as i pulled up needing a slap to a higher hold which would of done bruce lee justice in terms of reaction times......
not so much a top out but soloing at symonds yat  when a hold in my left hand snapped as reached through with my right, bout 40 ft off ground. caught hold with my right , feet swung off , barn doored but nailed it and swung back into rock where i down soloed shakily to floor and had a lie down

dmitri

• player
#4 Scariest topout
June 04, 2003, 10:53:36 pm
Yeh totally agree, b5 pocket thing lower tier gets me every time! Its ace! :lol:

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#5 Scariest topout
June 05, 2003, 09:46:39 am
I got sandbagged by John Welford on Zeke the Freak at Rubbercon. He reckonned that to do the route you have to bushwack all the way through the foiliage at the top up to this tree of doom, after that route as well! cheers John.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal