UKBouldering.com

North Highlands Bouldering (Read 16850 times)

richieb

• menacing presence
#25 Re: North Highlands Bouldering
February 16, 2007, 11:41:15 pm
Good Point....same pic in real time....

richieb

• menacing presence
#26 Re: North Highlands Bouldering
February 16, 2007, 11:43:25 pm
This is local guru Ian Taylor on the arete to the right. First done by Malcom Smith a few years ago I believe....

richieb

• menacing presence
#27 Re: North Highlands Bouldering
February 16, 2007, 11:46:25 pm
errr......I meant the arete to the LEFT of course! :oops:

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
#28 Re: North Highlands Bouldering
February 17, 2007, 12:16:32 am
Wow.  That rock looks amazing. The crag/jumble in the background looks equally appetising.  Has much been done there?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#29 Re: North Highlands Bouldering
February 17, 2007, 06:22:40 am
Has much been done there?
Andi_e went up there a while ago.  Did everything and added a few new problems.  He thought Scotland was too easy.   :lol:

richieb

• menacing presence
#30 Re: North Highlands Bouldering
February 17, 2007, 09:18:20 pm
Most of the stuff in the background has been looked at, but often potential lines are spoilt by either crumbly rock, bad landings, or the boulders being smaller than they look from a distance. There is a good circuit here though, and where the rock is good it is really good. Just remember your wellies! Keep an eye on ScottishClimbs for an updated topo.
My tip (and probably loads of other peoples tip) would be to combine a trip here with abit of chuffing at Diabaig, quality crag in an amazing location.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#31 Re: North Highlands Bouldering
February 19, 2007, 07:49:13 am
reachy, crimpy and tenuous

Sounds like it's right up my street! Not sure at that grade though. Is it very conditions dependant? Looks like wellies are a necessity. Nice effort, need to make a trip up there, come spring. I can confirm Diabaig is an excellent spot for some chuffing.

richieb

• menacing presence
#32 Re: North Highlands Bouldering
February 19, 2007, 06:19:26 pm
I did find it conditions dependant but conditions are often good, more often than I expected anyway. I guess due to the wall being south facing and exposed to the wind. In fact on the day I did it the wall was wet when I arrived but dry again in about half an hour with a good wind blowing. The biggest problem I had was frozen fingers and nearly crashing the car racing over there to get it done..
Theres a good patio/pad platform underneath the wall now as well, part of the warm up routine!

Had a good session at Brin Rock yesterday in top conditions. A good circuit when dry. Needs traffic to keep it that way.

This is Lee on 'Spank the Ramp' V4ish

SA Chris

• forum hero
#33 Re: North Highlands Bouldering
February 20, 2007, 07:50:27 am
Might need to revisit Brin with fresh eyes. I was disappointed in the place. Maybe it was the post festival hangover, the midges, the ticks, the undergrowth, the bog and the overgrown dirty rock that put me off.

A post rain dryout seems to do wonders for friction.

richieb

• menacing presence
#34 Re: North Highlands Bouldering
February 20, 2007, 09:41:04 pm
I know what you mean, first time I went for a look I couldnt really see any bouldering. Just a load of trees and man eating holes in the ground where Scottish wild cats should live. Amazing what abit of dry weather, chalked holds and a tour from a local expert can do.
In light of the patio building thread, just want to point out the patio I mentioned wasnt created by the removal of any blocks under the problem to make it safer. The base of the boulder is basically a swamp and a few flat rocks were imported to make a platform and stop the pads floating away. A Rubicon style wooden pallet would have done the job but I couldnt find any of them hanging around in Torridon.
Just for the record like....

richieb

• menacing presence
#35 Re: North Highlands Bouldering
February 28, 2007, 06:01:16 pm
Good news! Info is starting to filter out thick and fast from the North West Scotland scene...respect to Ian Taylor for putting together this topo for the best bit of Torridon
http://wiki.scottishclimbs.com/wiki/Ship_Boulder
And this wee guide for the Ullapool area....
http://stonecountry.blogspot.com/2007/02/ullapool-bouldering.html

clm

• forum hero
#36 Re: North Highlands Bouldering
February 28, 2007, 06:02:49 pm
i have bouldered on some of the beaches round durness.  its ....erm... esoteric.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#37 Re: North Highlands Bouldering
March 12, 2007, 10:44:10 am
We went for a wander round Durness area in between surf sessions at Oldshoremore last autumn. Rock quality looked variable to say the least. Smoo Cave looked to have some challenging lines.

RossH

#38 Re: North Highlands Bouldering
March 23, 2007, 08:23:33 pm
Just back from a great day in Torridon. Can confirm there is a good wee circuit to be had at the Celtic boulders, loads of quality varied problems, especially in the lower grades. I see what you mean about the wellies though, the Ship boulder was sitting in a massive pool. Made be wimp out of the top of Squelch a couple of times, with the thought of my mat floating away beneath me. Your new problem looks superb Richie, didn't try it though cos landing was a swimming pool.

Went to Annat after and had a go on Three Streaks - has anyone tried this? It is a fantastic prob, though I didn't do that either.

richieb

• menacing presence
#39 Re: North Highlands Bouldering
March 29, 2007, 08:45:38 pm
Not been to Annat yet Ross, although its on the list. Drop me a pm if you fcancy getting back over Torridon way there sometime....still plenty of new stuff to do

SA Chris

• forum hero
#40 Re: North Highlands Bouldering
March 30, 2007, 09:45:51 am
Where is Annat?

richieb

• menacing presence
#41 Re: North Highlands Bouldering
March 30, 2007, 09:17:12 pm
Just to the south of Torridon village Chris. Above the main road theres a few tiers of small crags and boulders. Three Streaks was done by Dave Macleod a few years ago I think. Pic in the back of Stone Country.

richieb

• menacing presence
#42 Re: North Highlands Bouldering
May 16, 2007, 10:15:34 pm
There is some more info on the Torridon sandstone wonderland on the stonecountry blog (www.stonecountry.blogspot.com). The awesome Malc Smith arete got a couple of repeats at the weekend. 
Also maybe of interest (but probably only to SAChris) is a topo for a couple of new venues in strathconon near Inverness available on www.alphamountaineering.co.uk.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#43 Re: North Highlands Bouldering
May 17, 2007, 08:13:15 am
Nice Richie, definitely looks worth a visit. Decent topos too. How's the midgies at the moment.

Owen

• regular
#44 Re: North Highlands Bouldering
May 17, 2007, 03:07:39 pm
any news of the topo for toridon? That ship boulder looks awesome, what are conditions likely to be this time of year? Will be up this way next weekend gonna start at cummingston first and keen for a bit of a road trip across to and down the West coast. Where re the recomended venues? Are there any topos/maps online? What is the midge situation likely to be?

Cheers

Owen

SA Chris

• forum hero
#45 Re: North Highlands Bouldering
May 17, 2007, 03:54:53 pm
If you haven't got Stone Country, get it, it's the easiest way. Otherwise there are a couple of topos on scottishclimbs.com and scotlandonline.com.

Friends were at Cummingston last Sunday and said it was in good nick. Just make sure you get there at lowish tide to maximise dryness.

andy_e

• forum hero
#46 Re: North Highlands Bouldering
May 17, 2007, 05:12:47 pm
Anybody got any beta on anything in the Assynt/Inchnadamph region?

richieb

• menacing presence
#47 Re: North Highlands Bouldering
May 17, 2007, 10:39:53 pm
Owen - conditions were good in Torridon at the weekend. Not too bad for midgies yet and theres often a breeze which helps, the rock dries super fast and its not too wet underfoot at the moment either. You might wanna think about going across to Ullapool for Ardmair, Rhue and Reiff in the Woods (guide in the gear shop in ullapool) then down the coast to Torridon and Applecross. If you get the weather that would be an awesome trip. Check scottishclimbs.com for various topos and beta or get the stonecountry book. If you fancy some routes too theres loads to go at.
Thats a fair bit of driving but the roads are mostly good over there these days...

Andi - not sure about that area but I know Dave Macleod developed a boulder abit further north at Oldshoremore called the Akira boulder I think, try searching his blog for details. The Ullapool area mentioned above is not too far south and the road is fast.

Chris - midges not too bad yet, been out at Duntelchaig tonight. Strong wind so no midges but plenty of ticks. Little gits.

andy_e

• forum hero
#48 Re: North Highlands Bouldering
May 17, 2007, 11:08:49 pm
Andi - not sure about that area but I know Dave Macleod developed a boulder abit further north at Oldshoremore called the Akira boulder I think, try searching his blog for details. The Ullapool area mentioned above is not too far south and the road is fast.

Cheers dude, was looking for something very close to inchnadamph as I'll be on a field trip and therefore carless...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#49 Re: North Highlands Bouldering
May 18, 2007, 11:11:09 am
As far as I know, the nearest recorded stuff there is probably stuff just beyond ullapool, and boulders at Rhiconich. Check Northern Highlands North though, there are loads of small crags scattered around that area. I don't think you are too far from Hoy either.

Andi, there is tons of rock in that area, I suspect you could throw a stick and hit some unclimberd boulders; take some stiff brushes. Even a couple of roadside quarries.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal