Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
Which New Pad?
October 27, 2006, 10:15:21 am
Time has come for new pad.

So,

Black Diamond - Drop Zone Crash Pad Or  Moon - Deluxe Large Pad

(Its going to be used mainly in the states)

Dr T

• forum hero
#1 Re: Which New Pad?
October 27, 2006, 10:34:58 am
I've always liked my moon pads
if it's going to the states have you thought about how you're getting it out there cause it can be an arse taking pads on planes, maybe best to buy it out there

Toad

• regular
#2 Re: Which New Pad?
October 27, 2006, 10:43:49 am
Get a POD

:thumbsup:

John Cooke

• menacing presence
#3 Re: Which New Pad?
October 27, 2006, 10:48:44 am
Snap pad or a Franklin/BD.

If you're heading out to the states Revolution pads are pretty cool and you can't get them in the uk, which makes them even cooler 8)

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#4 Re: Which New Pad?
October 27, 2006, 10:58:56 am
Snap pad or a Franklin/BD.

If you're heading out to the states Revolution pads are pretty cool and you can't get them in the uk, which makes them even cooler 8)

Going straight to Hueco though, so not stopping anywhere to pick one up before hand.....

Off topic, i am nipping into manchester tomorrow, dont suppose you know if Cotswolds still have Dragons in? Ill call them later if not......

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#5 Re: Which New Pad?
October 27, 2006, 11:05:51 am
never tested the moonies, but ive fallen alot on dropzones, very happily. bomber.
otherwise i have a big alpkit, and its excellent. same foam of the dropzone, the shell is softer its not cordura. but its 70£ and free delivery next day in uk.

Stubbs

#6 Re: Which New Pad?
October 27, 2006, 11:21:02 am
The BD dropzone is so shoddy compared to the old franklin one - i got mine just before going to the states for a month and the foam has softened considerably just from that use. The little corner webbing has already broken and one of the straps is on the way out.  I'm gutted as my franklin dropzone is still alright after two years of climbing at least twice a week.

monkey boy

• forum hero
#7 Re: Which New Pad?
October 27, 2006, 11:36:10 am
I have heard bad things about the moon pads and the BD dropzone definately isnt what it used to be, apparently anyway! I have got one of the new chili ones and its really good,thicker than average foam and good quality too. Chili mats used to be shit but looks like they have really turned them around with these ones.
Snap pads also tend to have really good foam in them!

Sam

• addict
#8 Re: Which New Pad?
October 27, 2006, 11:45:19 am
I was almost set on a BD Dropzone as the Franklin seems good but above comments are making me re-think. Anyone have any experience of the new DMM ones?  :-\

John Cooke

• menacing presence
#9 Re: Which New Pad?
October 27, 2006, 12:15:16 pm
Quote from: Adam Lincoln link=topic=6364.msg89927#msg89927
Off topic, i am nipping into manchester tomorrow, dont suppose you know if Cotswolds still have Dragons in? Ill call them later if not......

Heading the wall later so can check for you if you want. What size you after? Drop me a pm with your mobi number and i'll drop you a text.

What you in mancland for? Climbing?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 06:54:54 pm by dobbin, Reason: To add quote around the quote. »

Rice Boy

• stalker
#10 Re: Which New Pad?
October 27, 2006, 12:26:38 pm
Sam:

In exactly the same situation. I figured given the bad press the BD's getting and the fact the two pads are much the same design (apart from the fact the DDM has three layers, pocket and different carry system  ???) and to jump on (British Standard Test off a chair) that I'd invest in Welsh technology.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#11 Re: Which New Pad?
October 27, 2006, 01:09:22 pm
Get yourself one of the new taco style POD mats. Why?
  They are fantatic pads
  Support a small UK business rather than big US companies
  The craftsmanship is super solid, they are bombproof
  Lower carbon footprint as they are made in UK rather than shipped in
  They fit perfectly in the boot of  car

John Cooke

• menacing presence
#12 Re: Which New Pad?
October 27, 2006, 01:13:12 pm
Good reasons there JonBoy, the only gripe i had with the pod mats were that they didn't do a taco version... and now they do! Sounds like they'd definately be worth checking out.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#13 Re: Which New Pad?
October 27, 2006, 01:37:30 pm
I've been looking into this  - whilst waiting to check out the pads the climbingworks lads are going to bring in:
Does anyone know of a pad that fulfils the paramaters below

- taco
- Deep  / good for big drops (3 inch soft & 1 inch hard foam)
- metal clasps for closure, incl a bottom one to stop all my shit falling out
- soft / carpet suface of your feet

many have 2 of the 4, some 3.... but none as yet all 4........... except the old cordless that is now my ageing pride and joy........

advice anyone please?? i suppose the metal clasps vs. velcro would be the one to go first - i'm really concerned about velcro longevity though, and getting it sinched together with all my stuff inside though.

Sam

• addict
#14 Re: Which New Pad?
October 27, 2006, 02:05:06 pm
Does anyone have a contact telephone or emailer for POD  :please: Can't find anything on google. If you could PM me, that would be ace. Ta

account_inactive

• forum hero
#15 Re: Which New Pad?
October 27, 2006, 02:05:29 pm
Support a small UK business

That being said my Flashed pad covers all the bases

No sure if they are still imported though..................

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#16 Re: Which New Pad?
October 27, 2006, 02:06:32 pm
well doc,

the behemoth fulfils your stated criteria

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#17 Re: Which New Pad?
October 27, 2006, 02:50:30 pm
soapy i have to disagree.
all those pads ive seen/fallen onto were flat, soft and spoilt by the three way folding.
id go with the metolius cheap bastard.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#18 Re: Which New Pad?
October 27, 2006, 03:02:51 pm
Tried to PM you Sam with numbers for POD but your PM doesn't work. If you PM me I you e-mail address I will send you them. I have two numbers and don't know which is the commercial number so don't want to post on the thread.

Greg C

• forum hero
#19 Re: Which New Pad?
October 27, 2006, 03:13:29 pm
Does anyone have a contact telephone or emailer for POD  :please: Can't find anything on google. If you could PM me, that would be ace. Ta

What do you want it for?

I like the POD ones but I’m not that keen on this new reverse strapping idea (which indecently Mooney is using on his new pads), I'd rather get me coat mucky than all the stuff I generally stuff in my pad, plus you’ve got to faff about with the straps.

The new DMM ones are pretty decent for the cash especially the Highball, plus they all have three layers of good quality foam - two hard cell sheets sandwiching the soft cell sheet.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#20 Re: Which New Pad?
October 27, 2006, 03:23:47 pm
ive never had anything from dmm, but i really like the stuff, especially cos it reminds me about earlier days in climbing, like the pics of moon on dominator with the dmm pants.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#21 Re: Which New Pad?
October 27, 2006, 04:04:03 pm
ps at alpkit.com they also sell replacing foam for dropzone, normal and hard.
im having the normal one to put it in my old cassin, that has the same measures af a dropzone: new pad for cheap!!!!!

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#22 Re: Which New Pad?
October 27, 2006, 04:07:43 pm
sorry double post edit.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#23 Re: Which New Pad?
October 27, 2006, 04:41:16 pm
I've gone for alpkit foam to reinvigorate my cordless... £35 cannt go wrong - mix and match what i've got already and i'll be sorted...  :great:

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#24 Re: Which New Pad?
October 27, 2006, 07:01:08 pm
Dont know if they are in production yet, but the new moon design is good. He has changed the carrying straps so that they will be on the landing surface, which means that you dont carry the pad with the side that has just been in the mud against your body. It sounds dangerous as anything on the landing surface could cause you to get caught up in it - but no! Moony has designed a neat strap pack section thing that keeps the straps flush to the pad. Tres cool. And, like something from Maharishi, when you have the flap unflapped, it wraps around the bottom of the pad to keep your stuff that you wedged inside inside.

Foam seems good and dense. Dunno what prices will be or whether these are the ones you get if you buy now, but they look good.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal