8a scorecards (Read 5232 times)

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
8a scorecards
October 22, 2006, 06:01:49 pm
is it only me??
i think the scorecard is just a load of  :wank:
it comes across as where one can say, 'yeah i'm the man!! check my scorecard!!!' 
 i didn't get into climbing to score points on my mates or other climbers...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 06:07:12 pm by oldfella »

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#1 Re: 8a scorecards
October 22, 2006, 07:37:43 pm
This time, we are in complete agreement.  Anathema.

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#2 Re: 8a scorecards
October 22, 2006, 10:05:52 pm

that is EXACTLY the reason I did.

ferret

• forum abuser
#3 Re: 8a scorecards
October 23, 2006, 02:19:07 am
think wot u like about 8a scorecards theyre a usefull resource for finding info on problems that dont exist in guidebooks and for finding consensus on grades. anyone with a lick of sense knows that the rating is nonsense, the anti 8a.nu thing seems to be a very british thing, im sure most people who have an account r not caught up in some huge personal battle with the person ranked 1 place above/below them.

personally i get psyched by reading peoples scorecards, i like to hear about other people doin beastly things (or just acheiving personal goals), especially people iv never heard of, not just people who look good in prana or eat from the arse of proffesional photographers.
obviously there will always be macho nobheads, fake accounts, people claiming bullshit grades etc, but im sure were all smart enuf to spot these and dismiss them for wot they r.

i have an 8anu account and will continue to upkeep it, both for my own records and for the info/psyche it might potentially give other people. i doubt many people who know me think im a bicep tensing macho show off, and anybody who doesnt know me but assumes this just because iv got an 8anu account is a judgemental prick whose opinion counts for nothing.
i wud say that some of the topics posted on this forum have been far more negative in attitude, and detrimental to climbing, than anything ive ever seen on 8anu (apart from marcus bocks ridiculous attack on gaskins) but i wud not dismiss ukbouldering as without useful information or unimportant to the uk climbing scene.

all in all, hate it if u want but think about it first

recent thanks to wade davids 8anu account without which i wud have never found carrera gt, clear creek colorado. hopefully ill stop falling from the last move like a punter :)

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#4 Re: 8a scorecards
October 23, 2006, 08:41:53 am
Bit like what Ferret said really, I use it to research areas I'm going to on trips to find out what's good, hard/soft for the grades and other useful beta.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#5 Re: 8a scorecards
October 23, 2006, 12:26:32 pm
i've noticed ferret has claimed the same prob twice on different days ;)

god bless 8a.nu

i'm off to look at bleau.info now

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#6 Re: 8a scorecards
October 23, 2006, 12:37:13 pm
i think that 8a is just a tool, the use that one makes of it is makes the big difference.

to start with, i think that just the URL of the site tends to mislead people. seems like fb8a is what really counts. not everybody could claim fb 8a, and perhaps those who cant get frustrated?
i think its very useful to keep trace of ones sends, but, besides creating my profile many years ago, i havent used it since that first time and i can recall every single proble in every single crag ive done nonetheless.

its strange, to me, putting my stuff on 8a would mean taking emotions off that send, reducing it to bare numbers, soulless.

now i go to 9b.com to update my scorecard, thats the real deal.

squeek

• junky
#7 Re: 8a scorecards
October 23, 2006, 12:55:52 pm
Who cares if someone has the same problem twice?  Maybe they use it to keep track of the problems they do.  Or is this against some predetermined rules of how you have to use 8a.nu, which if broken will result in a thunderbolt striking you down.    I saw an unknown problem at a crag I know quite well on someones scorecard last week, and bumped into him at the weekend so asked him about it, found out it's a great project that's been done.

It could be used for people to give feedback about grades as you can see what everyone has given for it, like yorkshiregrit.com, or is that site just for willy waving too?

I think the people who bitch about 8a.nu take it much more seriously than the people who use it to be honest.  If you think it's crap stop going on it.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#8 Re: 8a scorecards
October 23, 2006, 12:57:28 pm
is it only me??
i think the scorecard is just a load of  :wank:
it comes across as where one can say, 'yeah i'm the man!! check my scorecard!!!' 

I find it a bit laughable, but I think the issues you highlight are general issues with some people's attitudes to climbing. 8a is a symptom rather than the problem.

LOL @ 9b.com!

Paul B

• forum hero
#9 Re: 8a scorecards
October 23, 2006, 01:12:56 pm
I don't think people (or many people) use 8a.nu to score points against their mates or people they know. I myself use it to keep track of how I'M doing compared to previous years and to remember what I did, when, how I found it and anything else I thought was vaguely relevant at the time. I even log my indoor problems (opened the flood gates here) for the same reasons.
On the point dense made about dates etc. its so easy to screw up on 8a.nu and put the wrong date in seeing as though their calendar system seems to change weekly, or put all your updates in as 8a because thats what grade all updates start at! Or to get the same problem in more than once (or even in the routes section). Take it for what it is, a way to log what you have done, not a dick measuring contest that some people consider it as.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#10 Re: 8a scorecards
October 23, 2006, 01:20:38 pm
perhaps those who cant (LIKE ME) get frustrated?

edit

Doylo

• forum hero
#11 Re: 8a scorecards
October 23, 2006, 01:56:25 pm
i think the ranking system and points is a bit gay (like me) but i see no problem with the log books. There a useful way of recording the stuff you've done. I like to look on there to see what me mates in the US and other places have been getting up to. I don't think people should put indoor problems on there though, is a bit sad (you know who you are  ;)

Paul B

• forum hero
#12 Re: 8a scorecards
October 23, 2006, 05:05:47 pm
Hmm I also meant to say that ive tried keeping a written log and never got round to putting things in it until it was a bit late and I couldnt really remember anything, 8a.nu was an easy alternative and its only now that UKC have got an online system, any others out there?

a bit gay (like me)
good to see you got that in there  ;)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#13 Re: 8a scorecards
October 23, 2006, 07:12:09 pm
I don't think people should put indoor problems on there though, is a bit sad (you know who you are)

Or even problems on sheffield's small selection of artificial outdoor boulders...

dave

#14 Re: 8a scorecards
October 23, 2006, 08:20:54 pm
i got an 8a scorecard, which i use primarily to log stuff done for interest. I never go on for any other reason than to log stuff, never look at the rankings and rarely look at anyone else's cards. when I first started it quite a few of me mates had one so it was good to keep a track on who was up to what.

I tend to write dates in guides when i do routes, but always just used to tick boulder problems so i used to find having a date against boulder problems on 8a.nu quite useful. basically I could do exactly the same thing for the same purpose with a database on my computer, but I can't be arsed to write one when someone else has. of course I could make the scorecard non-public, but I don't simply because in the past people who i've climbed with but don't see very often can keep a eye on whats been going down etc etc.

Some people seem to be of the opinion that anyone with an 8a.nu scorecard must do so only for conceited ego-wanking   and self-gratification purposes, which frankly I take exception to. theres no reason to tar everyone with the same brush.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 09:51:04 pm by dave »

ferret

• forum abuser
#15 Re: 8a scorecards
October 23, 2006, 09:24:53 pm
i've noticed ferret has claimed the same prob twice on different days
not quite sure wot yor trying to infere dense, im a liar/a cheater/i have poor computer skills/all of the above :)

a bit gay (like me)
chris, i think u need to take the plunge and find out if you really are (maybe with the mule) :shag:

Doylo

• forum hero
#16 Re: 8a scorecards
October 23, 2006, 09:29:55 pm

chris, i think u need to take the plunge and find out if you really are (maybe with the mule) :shag:

One day Adam, one day.......

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#17 Re: 8a scorecards
October 23, 2006, 10:05:43 pm

Are you ready for some serious lovin'?  I'm free!

a dense loner

• forum hero
#18 Re: 8a scorecards
October 24, 2006, 09:31:55 am
definately not the first two ferret, which negates the last. the third however... :o

Andy_P

• regular
#19 Re: 8a scorecards
October 24, 2006, 01:00:32 pm
Handbags, anyone? Last man standing gets (to dust off) Buoux 8c's scorecard.

ferret

• forum abuser
#20 Re: 8a scorecards
October 24, 2006, 08:56:25 pm
no handbags here, i owe dense 1 lost boulder pad, plus various smirks, sn**gers and outright laughs at his overly cynical posts. :hug:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal