UKBouldering.com

working in canada (Read 2184 times)

andyh

• stalker
working in canada
February 20, 2007, 11:50:58 am
as is standard on extended holidays i'm going to run out of moolah half way, just as i get to canada.

i wanna get a 3/6 month IT contract there then carry on, but have no idea what the issue is with working visas an stuff with it being in the commonwealth - eg: nz i could easily get a job, oz would be nigh on impossible.

ive done extended googling but with no joy - can anyone give me inside knowledge?

mucho bientot

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#1 Re: working in canada
February 20, 2007, 12:16:04 pm
I have a friend in a similar position who is looking to go and work in Canada. He showed me this points system online calculator thingy the other week. I think the one he showed me might well have been on the Canadian government website. It could have been this one, but I'm not too sure. A quick search on google for Canada+working visa online application yielded a lot of results.

If you have a degree, relatives in Canada (and some of the relations you are allowed are pretty tenuous if I remember rightly), long working history, etc etc, then you are likely to score a higher number of points. Can't remember the threshold for gaining the working visa, but I think it might have been around 57 or something.

Will ask Chris for the site address next time I see him if you haven't found anything by then. Good luck with it.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Re: working in canada
February 20, 2007, 12:35:22 pm
Depending on your age, you should be able to get a Commonwealth Visa for working for up to a year, I think.

Unfortunately you normally need to sort it out before you leave the UK.

Check with Canadian Embassy Website for requirements.

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#3 Re: working in canada
February 20, 2007, 04:23:37 pm
There is also BUNAC if you are under 35.

Lets you work while visiting for a limited period (3-12 months) - pretty pricey for a visa £160 or summat  :o - and you have to have a return flight and i think approved insurance (£200?).

with this you don't have to be a skilled worker - you can do bar work, ski-shop etc...

also have to have it lined up before you arrive

AndyR

• forum hero
#4 Re: working in canada
February 20, 2007, 06:25:13 pm
I'm on a work permit which was based on no canadian being able to do the job - this was supported by the company I work for - just turned up at immigration with the correct paperwork and was let in.....
Don't know how it works for a temp job where you don't have a job offer waiting.
Try immigration canada website, or failing that, phone up the canadian embassy in UK.

andyh

• stalker
#5 Re: working in canada
February 21, 2007, 09:02:07 am
cheers for the info - not sure if the points system applies as i wont be looking to emmigrate, just work there for 3 months, but i'll investigate.

bunac sounds like a good option, not too pricey in the grand scheme of IT contract work, though hopefully i'll be able to get in on the noone else can do the job criteria.

i'll get in touch with some job agencies over there and see what they say - i'll post if i find out owt of particular interest

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal