UKBouldering.com

Ansteys conditions (Read 2685 times)

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
Ansteys conditions
October 12, 2006, 03:48:13 pm
Tried asking this on UKC and got not nowhere so thought I'd see if you guys can help......

So does anyone know what condition the empire wall at Ansteys is at the mo, thinking of heading down for another crack at EOTS  before I hang up me rope and break out the pad (or heaven forbid break out the trad rack :bounce:)...

Cheers

:D

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#1 Re: Ansteys conditions
October 12, 2006, 08:49:25 pm
Never been but would love to go. Take its not an all year venue then?

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#2 Re: Ansteys conditions
October 13, 2006, 09:49:56 am
No idea really, it's steep limestone so it'll probably seep :-\ but that's all I know. I don't wanna make the long trip from Sheff only to find it covered with a layer of slime.

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#3 Re: Ansteys conditions
October 13, 2006, 10:07:26 am

Anstey's is a year round venue, but does suffer from seepage. The empire of the sun wall is likely to be bad over the winter, with EOTS being the route affected the most. It will probably be OK at the moment.

The ferocity wall is a more reliable year round venue, and indeed late autumn/spring often gives the best conditions. The Cider Soak tends to seep more than the others, especially the big pocket on the crux but you can often get round this by filling it with a beer towel with the other end of your rope tied onto it (get your belayer to pull it out just before you do the move...). Ferocity wall will be fine at the mo

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#4 Re: Ansteys conditions
October 13, 2006, 10:54:05 am
As stu says really.

Empire will most probably be more wet than you would like now. Had a lot of rain this week.
Pocket in Cider soak WILL be wet, and thats quite a clever idea with the beer towel. Most people buy a blow torch from the garden centre where you park and dry it out that way.

Not that i would condone that behavior myself.

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#5 Re: Ansteys conditions
October 13, 2006, 11:35:13 am
Cheers guys, I knew somebody here would have the lowdown.

Might go down that way surfing in a few weeks instead then and if we have a  dry spell just pop in to check on me way.

Cheers again,

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal