UKBouldering.com

FOOD glorious FOOD (Read 135723 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#300 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
July 18, 2008, 07:01:46 pm
Folks at work find it odd that I sometimes photograph my cooking. It helps me remember the food and gives me new ideas for changing things. I can't think of a more worthy subject for photos.

:goodidea: Here, here.  The first point-and-shoot digi-cam I bought even had a pre-set "Food" option for just such an occasion and its something I've done ever since.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#301 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
July 19, 2008, 03:27:32 pm
I'm in the process of building the family website... de facto parts of the site are to include bouldering, mtb and pics of food with recipes... my screen saver for a while was a simply wonderful plate of prawns

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#302 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
July 22, 2008, 11:07:55 am
Not having read this entire thread, I can't be sure this hasn't been posted before, but even if it has it doesn't take away from the magnanimity of this.

Quite simply, these are the best brownies I have ever come accross, anywhere. I made them at the weekend and they are incredible. So chocolatey that you have no need to eat more than 1 bite because your chocolate fantasy is satiated. I followed the recipe fairly closely, and used a combination of Lindt 70%/85% for the dark chocolate, Green and Black Cocoa powder, and belgian milk/white chocolate. The result far exceeded my wildest speculations. I've baked brownies, cakes, flapjacks, before, but this is another level.

One thing I will add is that they tasted even better when cooled properly after being in the fridge. Obviously I couldn't resist and had a piece that was still warm/gooey thinking it would be heaven, but the fully cooled version was like Gabriel compared to Nephilim. I suggest you reshuffle your work, but climbing/biking/family/friends on a back burner and get a batch of these bad boy's baked!

dave

#303 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
July 22, 2008, 11:16:22 am
Strictly speaking aren't brownies supposed to have nuts in? (not that i'm complaining, I hate nuts).

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#304 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
July 22, 2008, 11:20:50 am
Strictly speaking aren't brownies supposed to have nuts in? (not that i'm complaining, I hate nuts).

Strictly Speaking? How the fuck would I know? Do I look like some sort of world authority on brownies? I do know that nuts only detract from chocolate in whatever form they manifest themselves, so I would be thankful there are no nuts, and get yourself into the kitchen to bake these things!

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#305 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
July 22, 2008, 11:26:54 am
I'm just pleased to see that they play a part in an 8b diet. Feast on!

nik at work

• forum hero
#306 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
July 22, 2008, 11:27:52 am
Dave it's ideas like that that are the ruination of many a good recipe.

Nuts in brownies, next you'll be suggesting fruit on cheesecake....

dave

#307 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
July 22, 2008, 11:31:35 am
cheese in cake is bad enough. i mean what the fuck.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#308 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
July 22, 2008, 11:53:24 am
cheese in cake is bad enough. i mean what the fuck.

A friend of mine abhors cheese, can't stand the smell, taste, texture or any other aspect.  He was aghast when we pointed out to him that the cheesecake he was happily wolfing down one evening actually contained mascarpone  :lol:

dave

#309 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
July 24, 2008, 02:38:59 pm
many of you peak limestone heads will have clocked that the former-lovers-leap-cafe-formerly-italian-bistro in stoney is now a rubyhouse. This could be a real killer blow to other peak crags as minus ten will be the only bouldering venue which has a curryhouse in walking distance. Maybe someone will build a tandoori where the tree was under indecent (the heat might dry things out....), or turn D's Brew Stop into a Wok This Way.

anyway, i digress. just wanting to know if anyone has been yet, and is it any good?

that is all.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#310 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
August 26, 2008, 10:48:06 pm

Here we see two of this evening's victims - a fine pair of freshwater perch, each about 1lb.

Previously, I have filleted perch before cooking them, but tonight I decided to use a baking method that I use for sea bass. Guts and gills removed from the perch then patted it dry. I rubbed as much salt as possible into the skin, then sprinkled more loose salt on the skin. Placed on a rack and then 20 mins at 200 oC leaves them looking like this...

The skin forms a sort of hard crispy shell which keeps the moisture inside as the flesh cooks. The skin is easy to lift off the flesh when its like this - similarly, the flesh lifts easily off the bones.
I served the skinless, boneless flesh on top of bowls of rice and veg and poured on a thin/light tomato, honey, soy, spring oniony bit of sauce (not too strong).

This tasted far better than any fried or grilled perch I've had. The sauce was a bit of an experiment, but was pretty good.

Tomorrow's tea  :thumbsup: cracking brown trout

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#311 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
August 26, 2008, 10:55:57 pm
Is that a rapala you are fishing for trout with?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#312 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
August 26, 2008, 10:59:48 pm
No, it's an Abu-Garcia Tormenter that I was fishing for pike with - not that the trout and perch have any respect for my intentions...

;)

rodma

• forum hero
#313 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
August 27, 2008, 02:27:01 pm
Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but...
Mrs Starfish took me to the relatively new Loch Fyne restaurant in Sheffield after work yesterday.
Goodness me, it was great.
We went for the daytime set menu (until 7pm) - starter, main and glass of wine for £11.
For starters we has the steamed mussels and the grilled sardines. The mussels were absolutely perfect; plump and tasty. The sardines were served on a nice chunky bit of brown toast with a sweetish onion and tomato-ey sauce which worked very well.
Mains: the poached sea trout served with cucumber and mint was firm and tasty - just the right amount of moisure in it, not too dry and not at all watery: the fried fillet of grey mullet was also cooked to perfection and had a lovely capers and garlic sauce thing with it. Also, the side dishes - new potatoes and mixed green veg - were cooked just right; not difficult to do, I know, but often this part of a meal can be disappointing.
House white was an acceptable sauvignon blanc.
The service was stunning; the staff friendly and knowledgeable. The whole place was laid out well with the tables not too close to each other and a good overall atmosphere.
I would have been chuffed if the meal was £18 each, so at £11 it was good value.
I gather that Loch Fyne is a national chain; anyone else been to their other restaurants? Opinions?

Sorry, just noticed this post. I went to the one in edinburgh last October, had one of the delicious sea food platters and managed to end up 9kg lighter only one week later (maybe should've posted this in Diet, Training and Injuries).

I have been back since (other than the free return trip that we got due to the nasty viral food poisoning) and have always had good food and service. It's also not really pricey compared to other Edin establishments.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#314 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
August 27, 2008, 02:33:37 pm
No, it's an Abu-Garcia Tormenter that I was fishing for pike with - not that the trout and perch have any respect for my intentions...

Well, similar type of thing anyway. I was going to raise an ethical eyebrow fishing for trout with something other than a fly, but if it was not the fish you were looking for......

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#315 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
August 27, 2008, 03:02:40 pm

Well, similar type of thing anyway. I was going to raise an ethical eyebrow fishing for trout with something other than a fly, but if it was not the fish you were looking for......

I caught one little perch about the same length as the lure - not very sporting when I was rigged for bullying pike out of heavily snagged water. I would have been delighted to get that trout on light fly gear instead.

Paul B

• forum hero
#316 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
October 01, 2008, 06:54:25 pm
can anyone recommend a good brandy? it's for a retirement present and is probably going to be pricey but not Louis the 14th pricey!

Hein Antique XO is the current favorite, anyone got an advance on that?

andy popp

• forum hero
#317 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
November 15, 2008, 08:03:39 pm
Joe its so good to have you on here - proper foodie shit to follow. Will you contribute to the other foodie/drink threads as well ?
BTW on your recommendation via Seb I got some Blackwood's Gin - it truly is the best :)
Glad you liked the gin actually I'd forgotten how good it is and defaulted to Tanquray (which really its hard to beat for martinis). Blackwood makes a slightly less aggressive martini as I remember (not that well, obviously, we are talking massively strong alcohol diluted but a very small amount of still pretty strong alcohol), which, used neat, is better than stirring with ice as a way of having a more vermouthy martini which still carries all of that lovely ginny depth...ahh.

Just found a bottle (2006 vintage) of this in Asda when intending to buy Tanqueray. Definitely different, not totally convinced yet. Kind of medicinal and might suit a Laphroaig lover. Joe I need a Martini with this next time I see you. Just to check of course.

Rant time: my parents have drunk GnTs for decades but still don't even put the gin (Gordon's only) in the fridge let alone the freezer and now buy own brand tonics. The result? Warm sweet drinks. I've tried and tried to tell them but I give up now. Anyway, the G and T, I read this week, is now 150 years old. Happy Birthday old chap.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#318 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
November 15, 2008, 08:09:22 pm
BOOZE glorious BOOZE?    :alky:

Xmas soon.  And you know what that means don't you?  Port time, oh yes.

andy popp

• forum hero
#319 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
November 15, 2008, 08:16:21 pm
can anyone recommend a good brandy? it's for a retirement present and is probably going to be pricey but not Louis the 14th pricey!

How much is the Hein (Hine?) Paul? Frankly, when it gets to XO levels I've yet to come across a Cognac I don't like. The last decent bottle I bought was Hine Rare VSOP - very nice. Camus is a good slightly less well-known brand but a quick search reveals a wealth of smaller and probably interesting producers. What did you buy in the end?

Dolly

• forum hero
#320 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
November 16, 2008, 01:10:19 am
Just found a bottle (2006 vintage) of this in Asda when intending to buy Tanqueray. Definitely different, not totally convinced yet. Kind of medicinal and might suit a Laphroaig lover.
Have you tried it neat ? - with just a little bit of ice ?

Paul B

• forum hero
#321 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
November 17, 2008, 09:33:00 pm

How much is the Hein (Hine?) Paul? Frankly, when it gets to XO levels I've yet to come across a Cognac I don't like. The last decent bottle I bought was Hine Rare VSOP - very nice. Camus is a good slightly less well-known brand but a quick search reveals a wealth of smaller and probably interesting producers. What did you buy in the end?

sorry missed this until now, it was 90 notes and completely unnecessary IMO. It came down to what I could get with the time I'd been left which was hein/hine antique.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#323 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
November 17, 2008, 10:20:20 pm
Mr G, up for a sesh Friday PM?

In any event, I would respectfully suggest that people looking for fine brandy go for a good armangac rather than congac.

I could explain but I'd be slhrruinrg, isk

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#324 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
January 09, 2009, 06:54:44 pm
Recently received a bottle of Oxford Sauce from an acquaintance in said city. Had a sizeable splash with a veg casserole tonight and couldn't believe it hasn't been encountered before. Contains date paste, molasses, chilli, anchovies etc. Very nice.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal