UKBouldering.com

FOOD glorious FOOD (Read 136080 times)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#225 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
April 15, 2008, 03:41:53 pm
I'm a constant curry experimenter; mostly vegetarian.

Can anyone provide any recipes?  Mostly looking @ different spice combo's; at the mo' cardomon and coriander are favoured.

Meanwhile in the kitchen cooks a potato, carrot, red onion and brown mushroom curry in a plum tomato and Oz shiraz sauce.  It's spiced with 2 chopped lemongrass sticks, 3 tiny fierce fresh chillies, whole cumin and black onion seeds, 6 green cardomon pods (minus pods, so all is easily edible) a tsp of tumeric, salt and finally garam masala.   No idea what it will turn out like; as JR is fond of saying: doubt is important part of any meaningful exercise.

Fraudini will prepare a strawberry, mango and fresh coriander chutney this evening to accompany it.

i'm impressed...

i think i'm allregic to cardomon  :'( makes me feel really ill.....

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#226 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
April 15, 2008, 05:21:25 pm

[/quote]

Does that mean no kulfi, poor you

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#227 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
April 15, 2008, 05:22:47 pm

[/quote]

I think I am allegeric to Absolution, makes me feel really ill, and fall off chairs  ;)

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#228 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
April 15, 2008, 05:56:54 pm
I think you need a scientifically double blind trial to determine that, why don't you join in in getting blind drunk and seeing if the symptoms are consistent with your previous episode?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#229 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
April 15, 2008, 08:43:37 pm
I think you need a scientifically double blind trial to determine that, why don't you join in in getting blind drunk and seeing if the symptoms are consistent with your previous episode?

excellant idea

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#230 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
April 18, 2008, 07:03:29 pm
Also of note for the gourmandes. We are presently in the very short Morel season. Keep your eyes out on mulched bed, dying ash/apple trees, sites of forest fires, especially on sandy chalk soils. I got me my annual harvest last week and made a gratin with potatoes, cream and pancetta, m m mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Bonjoy I don't suppose by any miracle you are going to let us know where you got your harvest from more precisely? I realize as I ask this that, if I had a line on morels, I would sooner loose body parts than divulge its location.
Yours in hope...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 07:11:42 pm by Bonjoy, Reason: quote correction »

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#231 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
April 18, 2008, 07:12:36 pm
home made beef meatballs (good mince, garlic, chilli and ginger sauce +++, french's mustard++, onion, loads of salt and pepper - magic ingrediant: hendersons)..... in a tomato, red and green pepper and tinned tomatoes sauce, with 3 BIG spoons of cumin..... more chilli and ginger with chopped green chilli in brine

slow cook in tangine for 3 hr.....

add rice

hmmmmmmmmmmm.....

sort of fat bikers meets jamie meets *what's in the freezer* concept... works though

damn well!!

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#232 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
April 18, 2008, 07:14:13 pm
I'd rather divulge the location of all my projects on grit than share the loaction of my morel patch

Sloper

• forum hero
#233 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
April 18, 2008, 07:24:11 pm
Your grit projects are more easily found though, any chance of buying some?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#234 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
April 18, 2008, 07:40:22 pm
It only produces a very modest crop and i've eaten them all  ;D

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#235 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
April 18, 2008, 08:13:05 pm
i know of something.....

but i'm unsure whether they are morels..

also, the place was shown to me....

i'd be killed...

i do know of a huge field that becomes laced with those HUGE white jobbies late on in the year...but for the prized fungi.... it's a mad world!!

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#236 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
April 25, 2008, 03:07:52 pm
. . . HUGE white jobbies late on in the year . . .

Faecal freak!

The seasons have changed once more.  Winter -  'tis but a bad memory . . .    Please make w/ the appropriate seasonal recipes as I require inspiration.

Joe_P ~ A different wild garlic recipe would be the ticket, if you will.

dave smith

• regular
#237 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
April 25, 2008, 04:57:24 pm
Also of note for the gourmandes. We are presently in the very short Morel season. Keep your eyes out on mulched bed, dying ash/apple trees, sites of forest fires, especially on sandy chalk soils. I got me my annual harvest last week and made a gratin with potatoes, cream and pancetta, m m mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Talking of seasons, asparagus time is coming up and I found an awesome, simple recipe on the BBC (can't stand boiling asparagus, it tastes of nothing afterwards).

Get a sufficient amount of asparagus, then tightly wrap 3-5 'stalks' (what are they called?), prepared as usual by cutting the hard ends and knots off, in a couple of slices of some kind of cured ham (proscuitto, parma, etc). These will be fried, for about ten minutes. The ham will shrink around the asparagus making tight little bundles of asparagus joy.

Goes well with a beurre blanche sauce:

Chop a couple of shallots and chuck them in a pan. Then add a glass of white wine. Reduce the wine to half its original volume on full heat. Chop 250g (one normal size pack) of butter in to little cubes. Turn the wine right down to the lowest heat, then little by little add the butter, and stir it in. This mixture mustn't get too hot or too cold, otherwise it separates. When you've added all the butter (or less, to taste), strain off the onions, and serve with the asparagus parcel things. Tasty as!

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#238 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
April 25, 2008, 05:12:34 pm
I never boil something as expensive and delicate as asparagus (this is green, not white which must be boiled lightly w/ it's own shavings) but steam it, or sometimes bake wrapped in alu-foil and a twist of citrus).

dave smith

• regular
#239 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
April 26, 2008, 10:17:20 am
Yeah, but we're in England, where apparently everything must be boiled until it's soggy  :shrug:. Sigh. Flash-frying stuff is the way forward!

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#240 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
April 28, 2008, 12:30:38 pm
after three days bouldering in meschia, yesterday night we stopped at the local restaurant to eat before the long drive home.
i had:
- lamb interiors (heart, liver, kidneys, lungs) with egg and lemon sauce
- roasted bread with olive oil and black truffle
- olive ascolane (big green olives stuffed with meat and fried)
- standard portion of steak (500 grams) with mushrooms

g/f had:
- roasted bread with olive oil and black truffle
- olive ascolane
- tagliatelle with mushrooms and black truffle
- two big mushrooms (porcini) heads

total: 45 euros.

fatkid2000

• junky
#241 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
May 14, 2008, 08:22:26 pm
Right food lovers I have a small problem. The caterers for out wedding in September have let us down. We have the venue etc and am looking for outside caterers to do the food. Does anyone have any suggestions of who we should try. We are getting married in Sheffield and there will be about 120 guests, and we want a buffet type meal / BBQ. Many thanks

Sloper

• forum hero
#242 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
May 19, 2008, 11:13:27 pm
I'll have a word with some people I know Fatkid if you PM me more details, i.e. venue, facilities budget etc.

In the meantime here's one for every UKB gourmand.

Slow Caribbean roast shoulder of goat.

take one shoulder of goat,
Fry off a load on onions and garlic, add a good handful of thyme and the zest of two lemons.
To this add two tablespoons of treacle, some black pepper, a teaspoon of smoked sweet paprika, a large bit of cinnamon bark and a de-seeded chili and a handful of chopped sun dried tomatoes (not in oil).
Throw the whole lot in a slow cooker with about a half pint of water.

Cook for about 5 hours and then take the meat off the bone, chop into cubes and serve with okra and rice and peas.

Ganja and red stripe optional.

dave smith

• regular
#243 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
May 20, 2008, 12:01:16 am
Optional? Really?

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#244 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
May 22, 2008, 03:48:19 pm
Tips/recipes for cooking w/ wine?  In fact, any tips/recipes for cooking w/ alcohol in general, please.

As veg I'm fairly restricted to red in a tomato sauce and whites in risottos - tip of the iceberg surely.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#245 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
May 22, 2008, 03:51:17 pm
And green asparagus tips/recipes, please.

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#246 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
May 22, 2008, 03:55:39 pm
Pasta (something like radiatori or fusili) with white wine, cream, garlic, sundried tomatoes, dried herbs, fresh basil and toasted pine nuts. You could probably add something like spinach or leek (I normally use chicken....).

Season to taste and top with Parmesan.

It's really easy and very lovely.

I've got a proper recipe somewhere if you want it, but its fairly obvious what to do I think.

Tim

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#247 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
May 22, 2008, 04:03:29 pm
As for asparagus, griddle it in a bit of olive oil, garlic and balsamic vinegar or soy sauce (depending what its accompanying).

Or serve the asparagus with hollandaise sauce if you can be arsed to make it.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#248 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
May 22, 2008, 04:08:29 pm
plunge aspargus into boiling water...

remove, leave to cool a little...

meanwhile fry off very very finely 2 chopped shallotts in a little butter, add 1 tblspoon white wine vinegar with a fresh chopped tblespoon of tarrragon, 3 tblespoons of DRY white wine,reduce to 1tblespooon,add pepper / salt.... allow to cool off the heat for 2 mins..... spoon by spoon add creme fraiche..... until smooth underside of spoon hugging consistancy.....  keep on very gentle heat....

take griddle, v hot, brushed with near no oil..... asparagus time.... get the sides of it well toasted!

simultaneously ...... poach  a good quality egg:

in feverishly boiling water add 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar... stirr the centre madly.... drop egg into centre.... turn off heat. centripedal force keeps the egg compact.... 2 mins or so,

pref some rough rustic bread a few days old...

egg on....

asp spears random over....

liberally dress the plate with the sauce..

it's  asort of bearniase egg / asparagus combo on toast thingie....

it's totally awesome  ;D

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#249 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
May 22, 2008, 10:28:49 pm
Where's the 'grass from?
Reason I ask is: if its this season's English there's only one thing to do- steam for 6-7 min and drench in unsalted butter, (sprinkle a little sea salt on to taste). You don't fuck with something that's been a classic since Roman times.
If it's just asparagus tips from anywhere then, pot roast: fry a shallot or two  in a casserole dish which has a lid. When the shallot is soft but not coloured add the 'grass, put lid on and cook for 6-7 min (test with fork for tenderness).
place on to serving tray and sprinkle with very finely sliced raw mushrooms Parmesan shavings and really good balsamic vinegar.
Wine really good sauv blanc (pref sancerre); this compliments the gassiness of the 'grass, or big fat new world chard to contrast.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal