UKBouldering.com

FOOD glorious FOOD (Read 135591 times)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#150 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
January 31, 2008, 08:12:39 pm
fantastic to see the old thread resurrected..

I was previously unaware of this thread. I've just read through the whole thing. Excellent use everyone's time and effort. A wad point to the initiator - although it really belongs to all of you...  *oscar speach follows*

Must contribute myself soon...

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#151 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
January 31, 2008, 08:18:30 pm
A simple, tasty bass recipe anyone?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#152 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
January 31, 2008, 08:29:54 pm
Rub salt into skin. Grill or bake in hot oven.
For a sauce (only done this once; loved it) - Caramalise onions (red if you have 'em) and then melt a wad of butter in with them.
That's it.

I made this sauce because I was looking for an alternative to garlic butter. I think spring onions or leeks might go nice in a butter sauce.....
The salted skin will keep the flesh moist and peel away easily. yummmm
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 08:36:58 pm by lagerstarfish »

Monolith

• forum hero
#153 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
January 31, 2008, 08:36:45 pm
Wow, that is simple cheers. Even a piss poor chef like myself might be able to manage that. Need to go and learn how to caramelise though  :-[

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#154 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
January 31, 2008, 08:39:04 pm
just edited my post - I've thought about just adding chopped spring onions or leeks to melted butter (don't heat it up too hot), which would be simpler/quicker.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#155 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
February 01, 2008, 10:24:47 am

slash the sides of the fish,

pack slashes with mix of butter, sage and lemon zest, salt rest of skin freely, put on bed of shredded leeks , bake fiercly for 15 mins max.

serve with spinach & rocket salad with simple vinegrette.

I'm off to the deli..... might even get to the fish shop today
 :great:

underground

• forum hero
#156 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
February 01, 2008, 12:46:28 pm
Rub salt into skin. Grill or bake in hot oven.
For a sauce (only done this once; loved it) - Caramalise onions (red if you have 'em) and then melt a wad of butter in with them.
That's it.

I made this sauce because I was looking for an alternative to garlic butter. I think spring onions or leeks might go nice in a butter sauce.....
The salted skin will keep the flesh moist and peel away easily. yummmm

Sounds a tad like this one from River Cottage

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#157 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
February 01, 2008, 12:50:37 pm
I can vouch for this River Cottage recipe

*drool*

Celeriac & Chilli Gratin (for 6)

Ingredients:

1kg celeriac
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2–1 fresh red chilli (depending on strength), finely chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes – not powder)
250ml single cream
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Peel the celeriac and slice as thinly as possible - about the thickness of a 10-pence piece is ideal; use the slicing blade of a food processor, if you like.
In a large mixing bowl, toss the celeriac slices with 2 tablespoons of the oil and all the other ingredients until the slices are evenly coated and the garlic and chilli well distributed.

Transfer to a lightly oiled gratin dish, spreading out the slices with your fingertips: you do not have to layer the gratin piece by piece but try to ensure that the slices are mostly lying flat.

Pour over any cream left in the bowl and trickle the remaining oil over the top. Bake in a fairly hot oven (190°C/Gas Mark 5) for 40-50 minutes, until the celeriac is completely tender and the top is browned and crisp.

For extra crispness, you could finish it under the grill for 1-2 minutes.

*drool again*

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#158 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
February 01, 2008, 08:23:12 pm
I can vouch for this River Cottage recipe

*drool*

Celeriac & Chilli Gratin (for 6)

Ingredients:

1kg celeriac
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2–1 fresh red chilli (depending on strength), finely chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes – not powder)
250ml single cream
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Peel the celeriac and slice as thinly as possible - about the thickness of a 10-pence piece is ideal; use the slicing blade of a food processor, if you like.
In a large mixing bowl, toss the celeriac slices with 2 tablespoons of the oil and all the other ingredients until the slices are evenly coated and the garlic and chilli well distributed.

Transfer to a lightly oiled gratin dish, spreading out the slices with your fingertips: you do not have to layer the gratin piece by piece but try to ensure that the slices are mostly lying flat.

Pour over any cream left in the bowl and trickle the remaining oil over the top. Bake in a fairly hot oven (190°C/Gas Mark 5) for 40-50 minutes, until the celeriac is completely tender and the top is browned and crisp.

For extra crispness, you could finish it under the grill for 1-2 minutes.

*drool again*

that sounds well nice, good one.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 11:26:37 pm by Bubba, Reason: sorted quotes »

Fatleg

• addict
#159 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
February 03, 2008, 11:07:03 am
Fatdoc made your beer meat pie which started the thread, bloody tasty. CHeers

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#160 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
February 03, 2008, 11:36:16 am
thanks mate!

Monolith

• forum hero
#161 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
February 03, 2008, 11:24:22 pm
I learnt something earlier from my good friend, a chef. Maybe you knwo this already, but I had never thought to try.
I love garlic but completely hate peeling it. He advised to hold the clove vertically and then just crush it between index finger and thumb. The skin comes off in one clean sheet. Made my day anyway..

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#162 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
February 03, 2008, 11:30:41 pm
Tis true,

I have an even quicker way:  using a chinese chopper (what I always chop with)

gather your garlic in a pile on your board & simply bash them once, hard:  all should crack open w/ the one smack.  And remove the shell.  Really you need great gralic, French, and very very large cloves too.  Why use small?

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#163 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
February 11, 2008, 11:08:54 am
Any you food-freak, weirdo, longhair, hippy, vegan/veggie, Low GI-fascists, or enlighten cooks have any tip - however small - for cooking millet/sorghum?  It's the strangest stuff.

Ate it for the first time last night in a bake w/ peppers, onion, peas, garlic/chilli, and cheese on top.  It couldn't have been blander . . .

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#164 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
February 11, 2008, 11:46:51 am
any tip - however small - for cooking millet/sorghum?  It's the strangest stuff.

Fermenting sorghum can produce something a little more tasty - a sour porridgey sort of thing - don't know what its called. Google it?
You can always go a bit further and make beer out of it....

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#165 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
February 11, 2008, 12:11:20 pm
Thanks for the tip Lagers, I'd forgotten about brewing; ever tried Heather beer? (A Scot monkish conconction - strong!)

But alas - my active dictatorship of Gout Club (North Wales/Germany Division) has come to an end and I've taken a sideways move to honourary president and freed the position for another.  (First it was tobacco; then pot; now it's booze - at least for a few good months, then we'll re-evaluate the situation.)  Dave Noden Esq.  has ascended to Grand Vizir of the Emerald Bottle and may even make dictator by years-end . . .

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#166 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
February 11, 2008, 12:26:15 pm
Thanks for the tip Lagers, I'd forgotten about brewing; ever tried Heather beer? (A Scot monkish conconction - strong!)

Don't think that this is quite what you are referring to but this is bloody excellent anyway:

bluebrad

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#167 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
February 11, 2008, 01:56:54 pm
Any you food-freak, weirdo, longhair, hippy, vegan/veggie, Low GI-fascists, or enlighten cooks have any tip - however small - for cooking millet/sorghum?  It's the strangest stuff.

Ate it for the first time last night in a bake w/ peppers, onion, peas, garlic/chilli, and cheese on top.  It couldn't have been blander . . .

what animal does that come from then?

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#168 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
February 11, 2008, 02:03:54 pm
Millet are the clippings from the plumage or mullet of the Greater Shouldered Keith (Wiggus gigantus), occasionally seen in these parts though it's usual for Keiths to winter further south.

Fatleg

• addict
#169 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
February 18, 2008, 05:22:41 pm
Anu suggestions for a good pasta receipe got a super long training ride tomorrow and need fueling up tonight - any ideas, getting bored of my limited repertoire and the Mrs has pinched my recipe books cause her girlie mates are coming round to hers tonight.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#170 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
February 18, 2008, 10:11:23 pm
a take on arribiatta.

Fry off a handful of cubed pancetta and reserve.  To the pork fat add a wallop of olive oil and a finely chopped onion, chilli to taste and two cloves of garlic.  Sweat this and then add a tsp of smoked sweet paprika, a cup of peeled de seeded tomatoes and a glass of heavy red wine.  Reduce the sauce.

Cook some pasta and add the sauce, the lardons and some freshly ripped basil.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#171 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
February 19, 2008, 11:44:25 am
nice.

I'm on it with some hand made bacon ( mate branching out of teaching!)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#172 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
February 19, 2008, 12:04:16 pm
If you guys haven't got one yet, these are excellent for reducing oil use and getting a nice even spread of the stuff;

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/product.aspx/!11333

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#173 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
February 19, 2008, 05:40:10 pm
Pasta?

I'm partial to lasagne verdi w/ tomato spinach and carrot - no bechamel sauce, just creme fraiche on top then baked.  But how exciting can pasta dishes get?

Made a carrot and onion soup w/ onion seeds and bay leaves and shit loads of garlic for lunch.  Using the left over portion in a wholemeal pasta bake now w/ chopped tofu sausages and a small onion fried w/ more garlic, all mixed up w/ sunflower seeds sprinkled on top.  No idea if it tastes pooh or not - but I've been drooling at it through the oven window and it looks yummy.  Fresh coriander on top when cooked.

I like freshly made tortellini rosso or verdi filled w/ anything vegetarian served w/ the appropriate pesto, capers and more toasted seeds on top.  Think it's best to stay simple w/ pasta.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 05:53:22 pm by Houdini, Reason: typo »

Fatleg

• addict
#174 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
February 27, 2008, 07:36:58 pm
Right food lovers - need some serious advice.
Getting married in September. Its all sorted : church, venue etc except the food!!
We need caterers for the venue - they don't have any. We are getting married in Sheffield and want a BBQ / buffet any suggestion appreciated. Price not that important, we're thinking around £30 per head.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal