UKBouldering.com

FOOD glorious FOOD (Read 135366 times)

chappers

• forum hero
#125 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
January 21, 2007, 08:29:36 pm
Here we go boys, a new extreme in the new sport of oversized Yorkshire Puddings served with mash, peas, onion gravy and Toulouse sausages.

I will soon be buying a bigger pan to increase my dominance in this sport.

If you think y'all are uber-wads climbing boulders, try thinking about the cubic space within a regular family oven to cook the daddy of Yorkshire Puddings.

And, as I'm from the grim northern town of Bradford, I can cook these bad boys correctly, rather than Chappers' faux-Puddings, South London style. The nonce.

I shall update you forthwith with new cooking endeavours.

Billy

andy_e

• forum hero
#126 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
February 12, 2007, 05:52:51 pm
I picked up some steaks from these guys in Ilkley at the weekend- very good indeed!
I also got some chive and herb goats cheese which is interesting, very nice flavour and texture! Not a bad little market really.

anybody else got any similar tales/recommendations/rants etc.?

whispering nic

• player
#127 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
February 12, 2007, 09:31:21 pm
These guys rock if you're north of the border

http://www.pentland-hills-produce.co.uk/

Went to the Borough market in London a few weeks ago which was f*in amazin, as a non fan of the big smoke...

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#128 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
February 16, 2007, 09:33:50 pm
spaghetti or linguine with clams.

be sure the clams are clean of sand etc., otherwise let them in water for a few hours.
then in a deep pan put (alot of) garlic (taking away the central bit, if you want it easier to digest), pepper and parsel with olive oil, and let the thing cook at low fire, then when the garlic is ready (colored but not brown) put the clams in, cook stirring for a few minutes at very high fire, then cover the pan and lower the flame.
let cook for 15 mins, and anyway til all the clams open up.

start cooking the pasta, and as always, as soon as it forms a white foam on top of the water, take that foam with a spoon and put it in the clams pan. take away the pasta still a bit hard, and put it in the pan with the clams and a little bit of the cooking water. stir at high flame, and when it forms a creamy sauce, put it in the dishes and enjoy.

tip: if you can make alot of it. when youre finished, put what is left in the fridge and have it the following day, after re-heating it with a little bit of water in a covered pan. itll be better than the day before, and itll be the same i just had.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#129 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
February 17, 2007, 09:27:12 pm
having spent most of my week off with the flu (real flu - not a head cold), and the entire family also being literally struck down i've done little climbing - stole an hour out, finally hung the sloper on blind date, started to get my left foot over and gain purchase...... dry mouth.... fast heart.... was this the end of an 8 year seige???

no.

first time ever, split my finger, skin stetched and *pop*, on a bit of my finger that wasnt even on the rock... felt it go... not nice.

result is: 6 days of eating and cooking, interspersed with a lot of sneezing.

highlights have been:

-boldocks fresh lobster (cooked 10 mins before I got there), cut in half, hard grated cheese butter and  lemon dressing.

-fresh cod, baked - with proscuttio and asparagus. dressing was warmed lobster juice, olive oil with mustard and artickoke and just a little wine vinegar.

- pork chops: massive buggers from haywoods in woodseasts, baked on a bed of sun blushed tomatoes with french grained mustard basted on top.

- meal for the nearly dead flu ridden kids - big fat sausages in a jar from aldi, in their soft bread rolls, caramelised onions a plenty over the top.

thats knackered my climbing for a week or so, but as they say " feed a cold to starve a fever"!

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#130 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
February 17, 2007, 09:34:11 pm
thats knackered my climbing for a week or so, but as they say " feed a cold to starve a fever"!

You mean "Feed a cold, Starve a fever".  Wise words nonetheless.
Good luck with Blind Date though.

Dr T

• forum hero
#131 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
February 24, 2007, 08:18:05 pm
in a desperate attempt to try and get me to eat veg the missus just cooked up this
and it was :great:
me, voluntarily eating veg, I'll be looking out for flying bacon tomorrow!!!

Cauliflower Cheese with Bacon and Leeks

This makes the more usual cauliflower cheese into a substantial main course. You really only need baked jacket potatoes, or warmed granary bread, to go with it.

Serves 6

2 medium-sized cauliflowers, their outer leaves cut off and stems trimmed, each cauliflower cut into three. Make a cut in each piece of stem, to ensure it cooks properly. Steam, until tender.

For the sauce:

4-5 good tablespoons olive oil

4 medium-sized leeks, each trimmed, the ends cut off, and the leeks sliced thinly - if they are fat leeks, slice them down the middle and then into thin discs

6 rashers of best back bacon, rind and fat trimmed off - I use scissors for this - and the bacon sliced into thin strips

1-2 cloves garlic, skinned and finely chopped
1 heaped tablespoon flour
11/4 pints/710ml milk

1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
a good grinding of black pepper
a grating of nutmeg

6oz/170g grated best Cheddar cheese - I use Mull Cheddar. Use about two-thirds for the sauce, and reserve the rest for sprinkling over the surface of the dish.

To make the sauce, heat the oil in a saucepan or sauté pan and fry the sliced leeks and bacon strips together for several minutes, until the leeks are quite soft. Add the chopped garlic and the flour and stir in well. Cook for a minute, then gradually add the milk, stirring all the time, until the sauce bubbles. Let it boil for one minute, then draw the pan off the heat and stir in the Dijon mustard, the seasonings, and two-thirds of the grated cheese.

Put the steamed cauliflower into a heatproof dish, and spoon the sauce over. Scatter the remainder of the grated cheese over the surface, and put the dish under a hot grill, until the cheese melts and turns golden brown.

Serve, or keep warm until you are ready to serve and eat.

Paz

• junky
#132 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
February 24, 2007, 08:42:49 pm
That sounds delicious apart from the cauliflower and the leeks.  Can I still make this recipe if I substitute them for more bacon?

Dr T

• forum hero
#133 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
February 24, 2007, 08:43:58 pm
That sounds delicious apart from the cauliflower and the leeks.  Can I still make this recipe if I substitute them for more bacon?
would have thought so :lol:

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#134 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
February 25, 2007, 12:26:00 am
after a day at the boulders we got home just in time for a dinner with friends, for g/f exam:
the fuel

the starter

the octopus

the fish

yes yes fucking yes.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#135 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
February 25, 2007, 06:20:50 pm
genius.

oh to live in the med....... bet the wine was 90% of the cost of the meal....

you seem to be a full on quality fish chef nibs :bow:

i tonight.........

am having take out pizza... sorry!

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#136 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
March 22, 2007, 04:08:29 pm
Thought I'd revive this thread.

Just had my first taste of the limited edition Marmite and Guiness combo......

Oh yes...........

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#137 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
April 23, 2007, 01:38:47 pm
yesterday night:

bistecca fiorentina, 800 grams.
sent.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#138 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
April 23, 2007, 01:43:44 pm
Thought I'd revive this thread.

Just had my first taste of the limited edition Marmite and Guiness combo......

Oh yes...........

I personally can't tell the difference.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#139 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
April 23, 2007, 02:18:14 pm
parmesan / tomato sauce from *the* deli (yes, i know it's lazy - but time at the wekend is precious), pasta from deli.... 20 slices of speck ham from.... yep... you guessed it... with extra olive oil and chesse to garnish... tomato salad to share on table

7 mins.... simplicity has it's place!

who says real food takes time to prepare!!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#140 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
May 25, 2007, 09:19:37 am
Used my new fishing rod for the first time in anger yesterday. Landed a nice 3lb cod for tea. Bottom of sea to bottom of belly - 3 hrs. Baked wrapped in foil with fresh herbs and a bit of butter. Need to plan something a bit more imaginative for the next one, as this was unexpected.

Rod has only seen use previously retrieving chalk bag dropped in sea and getting rope across gap for a tyrolean.

I won't be claiming fishing to be the new gardening though.

Pics to follow.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#141 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
May 25, 2007, 10:12:51 am

According to office expert, Pollock, not Cod. Was well Jackson anyway.

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#142 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
May 25, 2007, 10:22:08 am
you could make a ceviche, chris, works well with firm white fish

SA Chris

• forum hero
#143 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
May 25, 2007, 10:30:47 am
Just googled it, sounds lovely. Psyched for a few more. Nice to get some fresh mackrel too.

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#144 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
May 25, 2007, 11:03:17 am
mmmm, mackerel,must be eaten straight away

grilled, squeeze of lemon juice, black pepper

Yossarian

• forum hero
#145 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
May 25, 2007, 05:09:47 pm
or you could make mr whittingstall's gravadmax...

(woz)

• forum abuser
#146 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
May 25, 2007, 05:32:09 pm
mmmm, mackerel,must be eaten straight away

One of the most satisfying meals I ever had was on a family holiday several years back in Torquay. Whilst the rest of the family were off at a museum (or somewhere similar) I cycled off for bouldering at Ansteys, then fished for 20mins, caught 3 mackerel, and cycled straight back home to eat them - all in all probably 20mins from sea to stomach.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#147 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
January 31, 2008, 01:05:42 pm
Gastro-Gnome here!

I've come into a faggot of fresh sage & I'll be plum-tuckered if I can find an appropriate way of impressing Fraudini w/ a sage-y vegetarian meal.

Anyone have any neat recipes for cooking w/ this pungent weed?

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#148 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
January 31, 2008, 01:44:09 pm
Ah ha beat you to it, seems to be important in Italian food so am going for Linguine w/ fresh sage & caper sauce. 

Nice & simple.  But could be persuaded - Nibz, can you improve on this?

Usually drink 1L of mint tea a day but this sounds nice

It has been said American people would do well if they would use sage instead of tea and coffee. The Chinese make fun of the American people because they buy the expensive tea for their drink and pay a big price for it, while the Chinese buy sage from America for a small price and drink that for their tea, which is a most wonderful remedy. The Chinese know that the sage tea will keep them well, while the tea that we buy from the Chinese makes us sick, is a cause of great nervousness and one of the causes of insanity. Sage tea is very soothing to the nerves, good for stomach troubles, gas, makes an excellent gargle for the throat, will expel worms, stop bleeding of wounds, good for liver and kidney troubles, a good wash for wounds, good hair tonic, fever reducer, and good for circulation. This tea should not be boiled, just steeped.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 01:52:06 pm by Houdini »

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#149 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
January 31, 2008, 07:50:49 pm
fantastic to see the old thread resurrected..

i've booked holiday tomorrow off work, my knee hurts so a big ride is out, and it's a howling gale... bouldering looking dodgy... i feel a local shop and new recipe post coming on tomorrow!!

I'll try to find a sage inclusive recipe, but may not be veggie :shrug:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal