Some nice recipes there.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#351 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
July 27, 2009, 08:51:45 am
Some smoked trout pr0n

Mrs Starfish wanted the Beast of Ladybower smoked, and Mrs Starfish gets what Mrs Starfish wants.

It was too big to fit in the smoker whole, so I chopped his head off. Yeah it was me, I cut 'im up good and proper, I did. He won't be singing to no coppers no more.

Smoked with oak sawdust. Lovely texture and taste. The skin pealed off easily.

The skeleton came out in one piece

Served with wholemeal bread, tiny bit of mayo and a nasturtium salad.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#352 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
July 27, 2009, 09:28:17 am
Nasturtium salad, excellent!! I want to come for dinner at Chez Lagers  :bounce:

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#353 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
July 27, 2009, 09:52:35 am
Got some very fresh broad beans from the in laws on saturday, didnt look like we were going to have the time to eat them until middle of this week so thought I would make a quick snack out of them. Only had a small amount so threw some peas in with them and blanched them, mashed them up , clove of garlic /squeeze of lemon, pinch of cumin, olive oil, pinch of salt, fresh mint.....frigging lush spread on toast

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#354 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
July 27, 2009, 10:15:43 am
Got some very fresh broad beans from the in laws on saturday, didnt look like we were going to have the time to eat them until middle of this week so thought I would make a quick snack out of them. Only had a small amount so threw some peas in with them and blanched them, mashed them up , clove of garlic /squeeze of lemon, pinch of cumin, olive oil, pinch of salt, fresh mint.....frigging lush spread on toast
:agree:I've been hoovering up broad beans (often bogof as they're coming to the end of their shelf life at Tescos) and pureeing them with with the usual suspects (lemon, cumin, coriander...) and yeah, what fatboy says.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#355 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
July 27, 2009, 04:12:28 pm
 :dance1: :dance1: :dance1: :dance1: :dance1: :dance1: :dance1:

Abbey lane butchers, "Ryalls" just off top end of Woodseats has re-opened, the bloke that left 4 years ago owns the place outright and has been letting it.... it's not done well so he's dragged himself out of retirment.

"If I'm comin back I'm doin it rite" was his glum reply to me asking how long he was back for...

Now, with signs up like * bacon like it used to be" this place is utterly fantastic.

Best norfolk chickens at £5, big enough for 2 to feed 8.. easily...and very reasonable prices (OK, it's not cheap.. but it's not the rip off that the *top end* places like chatsworth farm shop) this place is an essential visit.

Give you an idea... he opens early on a Saturday... but he'll be shutting up by 2 p.m... all the food sold!!!!

Go there....you will not be disappointed (cash only, hole in wall down road)

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#356 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
July 27, 2009, 04:18:03 pm
New fish mongers on Sharrowvale next to the Med Restaurant. Sell fresh samphire as well. Use it or loose it guys.

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#357 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
July 30, 2009, 08:59:54 pm
At the risk of looking like I've got shares in the place; the new fishmonger on Sharrowvale - Wild salmon; just had a steak, grilled with a twist of pepper and accompanied by samphire (gets it in fresh every day), new tats, and I knocked up a beurre blanc to go with. M&S are doing 1/3 off a cotes du Rhone Villages Laudun, it goes very wel at the cheap end but obviously, if you've got a big white Burgundy ready this will work even better.
Anyway rambling now, this is meant to be a post to big up the fishmongers again. I'd just be gutted if it went under.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#358 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
July 30, 2009, 11:06:49 pm
the new fishmonger on Sharrowvale

I hear you, Joe. Looking forward my first visit.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#359 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
July 31, 2009, 08:42:20 am
Where in Sharrow Vale, I need some wild salmon, I need it bad. Cue Undertones riff.

reeve

• obsessive maniac
#360 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
July 31, 2009, 09:02:59 am
I believe its near the school, just along from the Lescar but nearer Hunter's Bar.

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#361 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
July 31, 2009, 09:37:54 am
More or less opposite Roneys the butchers, across the ginnel from the "Mediterranean" Restaurant. It used to be one of those "interiors" shops from back when people had more credit than sense.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#362 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
July 31, 2009, 10:09:32 am
Just spotted a local butcher on the way past that sells biltong and boerewors. Will go for some lunchtime shopping. Although last time I got locally made boerwors I was bitterly disappointed.

fatkid2000

• junky
#363 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
July 31, 2009, 12:17:30 pm
This new fish mongers  sounds interesting - I'm going to check it out over the weekend. Was up near Whitby last week & had some fabulous fish - caught and cooked the same day just can't be beaten. There was an article in The Times about fish stocks which seems to say stocks can be re-built if we are careful, but I still feel a bit guilty eating it - but I just love a good piece of fish.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#364 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
July 31, 2009, 01:21:25 pm
My double yolker brunch  8)

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#365 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
July 31, 2009, 03:56:53 pm
The new fishmonger is utterly amazing, without doubt the best I've ever seen in this country, beautiful looking fish well presented and sold by someone who clearly knows their stuff.

They also have a branch at 7 Hillsborough Road.

J H Mann Ltd www.jhmann.co.uk

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#366 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
July 31, 2009, 04:15:12 pm
Just spotted a local butcher on the way past that sells biltong and boerewors. Will go for some lunchtime shopping.

Had noe boerie in stock, but I can confirm the venison biltong is pretty fine, but the droewors is some of thje finest I have had in a while. Just need to try and get at least some of it home now.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#367 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
August 01, 2009, 11:53:49 am
My double yolker brunch  8)

My cup runneth o'er!  :dance1:

Just had another double yolker.  2nd in a row.  Think I'm going to play the Lotto this weekend.  Sorry, had to duplicate the previous photo as I'm too hungry to get the camera.  I've no witnesses (except Oskar the hamster) UKB is BIG on witnesses I know so ...

andy_e

• forum hero
#368 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
August 01, 2009, 11:55:01 am
How do we know that's not just two eggs?

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#369 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
August 01, 2009, 11:57:36 am
Exactly.  You've only my word for it.  You could try asking Oskar, how's yr Hamsterese?

While we're on the subject, has anyone had a triple yolker? 

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#370 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
August 01, 2009, 12:19:04 pm
A Yorkshire man had some eggstraordinary luck, a triple and a double from 2 eggs

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/Triple-egg-yolk--amazing.3656580.jp

Not so keen on the crushed puppy next to them, mind.   :thumbsdown:

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#371 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
August 01, 2009, 01:17:12 pm
All as I can say is that I saw Houds recently at an indoor cooking facility, frying eggs and not only were they were they all single yolk but he broke them. The hamster has obviously been paid off. So, I'm afraid we must dismiss your egg based attempts at self-aggrandisement. Its no Yolk! (NO YOLK, Geddit...yolk: it sounds a bit like joke...no... Oh bloody forget it I don't know why I bother I really dont.)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#372 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
August 01, 2009, 01:57:44 pm
Rumbled

:whistle:

Plattsy

• forum hero
#373 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
August 01, 2009, 09:05:55 pm
My double yolker brunch  8)

My cup runneth o'er!  :dance1:

Just had another double yolker.  2nd in a row.  Think I'm going to play the Lotto this weekend.  Sorry, had to duplicate the previous photo as I'm too hungry to get the camera.  I've no witnesses (except Oskar the hamster) UKB is BIG on witnesses I know so ...

First time I got a double yolker the next five (half dozen box) were all double yolkers too.  :thumbsup:

Plattsy

• forum hero
#374 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
August 01, 2009, 09:12:12 pm
Had this tonight, coriander and lime chicken, really tasty. Only needs to marinade for a short while so doesn't need too much forethought. Lovelly with some rice and broccoli.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal