UKBouldering.com

Monoblock & Pex Hill (Read 4697 times)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Monoblock & Pex Hill
October 03, 2006, 07:37:07 pm
I was recently informed that the reason the grades are so ridiculous at Pex (and the reason that so many routes are given boulder grades rather than the trad grades they need [imo]) was because Johnny Dawes did a lot of stuff there and went a bit daft on the grading. True? Which routes are his?

Would also like those who have done Monoblock to be named and shamed for not upgrading it when V10 is clearly undergraded (methinks. although of course Ive never been on the route, the style of move required on the size of hold at the place its at surely constitutes more than V10)

Scouse D

• forum hero
#1 Re: Monoblock & Pex Hill
October 03, 2006, 08:51:50 pm
V10/ 7c+ is hard. Monoblock is hard. It shouldn't be upgraded though. Most people who call for an upgrade ain't gonna climb V10 anywhere.

Also, I don't think any of the routes are Johnnys and the guy who told you was bullshitting.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#2 Re: Monoblock & Pex Hill
October 03, 2006, 10:17:49 pm
He did have a brandy glass in hand at the time but Im sure any half truths/no truths were unintentional as hes a good guy.

andy popp

• forum hero
#3 Re: Monoblock & Pex Hill
October 04, 2006, 07:45:03 am
Someone was spinning you a yarn on Johnny. Only time he's been to my knowledge was the morning after my fortieth and performances were none too hot. V10 for Monoblock is an upgrade. I thought it was 7b+ (doh!) and was chuffed to take the 7c+ suggested by the likes of Pete Chadwick and Steve Dunning. As Scouse says, V10 is hard, we tend to forget this when 8bs are seemingly getting sent every day

squeek

• junky
#4 Re: Monoblock & Pex Hill
October 04, 2006, 12:30:02 pm
when V10 is clearly undergraded (methinks. although of course Ive never been on the route)

These aren't the kind of comments that lead to grades being accurate.  Leave your grading opinions until you've done it, or you've climbed lots of other problems at that level but can't do it.  You could have at least actually tried it!

andy popp

• forum hero
#5 Re: Monoblock & Pex Hill
October 04, 2006, 02:23:24 pm
Was just wondering why Monoblock receives so much discussion. There's another thread running on UKC at the mo and a search here reveals numerous mentions - they're not even all from Will and Andy F. I thought it was just a local route for local people.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#6 Re: Monoblock & Pex Hill
October 04, 2006, 02:35:53 pm

Idol eyes

• junky
#7 Re: Monoblock & Pex Hill
October 04, 2006, 04:15:29 pm
In my day, it was given 7A. This to my mind is a little to much, but as with all great problems the numbers are all but ego massage, so given the nature of the movement and quality, the credit goes to the FA onist the Shaun Ryder of the climbing world, Joe.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#8 Re: Monoblock & Pex Hill
October 04, 2006, 05:37:38 pm
Bit of a mythical problem really. For such a small venue I think that having such a seldom repeated route is quite something. Most outsiders find Pex a handfull (or rather a crimpful) when they visit so Monoblock, the pinnacle of the Pex style, must seem like an impossibility.

It does annoy me how Monoblock gets a boulder grade when surely something akin to E8 (no mats) is more appropriate. Of course I cant be bandying around grades as I have no idea what the route feels like but 7a technicality, no gear but good landing has to get pretty high up in the E grades. For example Piece of Mind is a trad graded although almost everyone uses mats so I dont see why MB isnt trad graded. Part of the Pex appeal I guess.

andy popp

• forum hero
#9 Re: Monoblock & Pex Hill
October 04, 2006, 06:02:04 pm
Will, I respect and welcome your enthusiasm for Pex but I think your relative lack of experience, especially of other areas, (and this really isn't meant as a criticism) somewhat affects your perspective. Everything from the start of Lady Jane wall to Monoblock is bouldering, albeit increasingly highball. I did MB ground up without mats and it simply isn't E8 (admittedly I didn't do the final easy few feet because they were dripping, but they wouldn't change anything). You also have to remember the old sandstone ethic of either top-rope or solo, no leading, and thus technical grades only. Virtually all Pex routes were originally top-roped, though not with the express intention of being led. The far end of Lady Jane wall (possibly) and Staminade/Black Magic walls (obviously) are definitely not bouldering.

I think you're only just round the corner from me, you'll have to come round to the board sometime

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#10 Re: Monoblock & Pex Hill
October 04, 2006, 07:01:58 pm
hehe. Thanks for the advice. You are right of course. I probably have some twisted view of the route because its relatively unrepeated. Probably wouldnt be able to manage anything on your board! I cant climb indoors  :(
Pex is wet at the moment though...

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#11 Re: Monoblock & Pex Hill
October 04, 2006, 08:52:59 pm
Ha! Just got a text from Andi_e saying
"An idea for a fancy dress party. Go as monoblock and just wear a piece of plywood".

Like it.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#12 Re: Monoblock & Pex Hill
October 04, 2006, 09:15:59 pm
Better still, paint it a pale green with a few darker stripes...  ;)

andy_e

• forum hero
#13 Re: Monoblock & Pex Hill
October 07, 2006, 12:21:33 am
Ha! Just got a text from Andi_e saying
"An idea for a fancy dress party. Go as monoblock and just wear a piece of plywood".

Like it.

Haha, yes. I may have been was a little very drunk.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#14 Re: Monoblock & Pex Hill
October 07, 2006, 08:33:00 pm

[/quote]

Haha, yes. I may have been was a little very drunk.
[/quote]

Good to see your settling well into life at Uni  :beer2:

andy_e

• forum hero
#15 Re: Monoblock & Pex Hill
October 09, 2006, 02:00:50 am
you knows it. I have the internet now an' all!  :thumbsup:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal