UKBouldering.com

How would I control the speed of a vacuum cleaner with only one speed? (Read 3135 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Strange request I know, but say I have a single speed vacuum cleaner, but I want to run it at a reduced speed.

Is there anything I can plug into a normal socket that will allow this to happen?

nik at work

• forum hero
Why would you want to do this?

Or is this some bizarre "yeah I was just hoovering in the nude and tripped over and landed awkwardly on the hose" situation where I really don't want the details?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
 You could put a 110v plug on it and run it off at 240v-110v transformer :shrug:

nik at work

• forum hero
What wattage is it?
I don't know much about hoovering but I'm guessing they would be about the 1200-1600 Watt ballpark.

You could use a dimmer switch similar to the jobbies for controlling lights, but usually the light controlling ones are no good for inductive load (i.e. a motor) and also are max rated about 500W. You can get higher rated and inductive compatible variable resistors but (from a position of knowing nothing about it) I would guess that they would be expensive.
Or try Bojoys idea.

NOTE: Got disturbed mid-post by someone at the door so if this post is now obsolete please ignore.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
You need a small frequency inverter to reduce input down from 50 Hz, not sure how small they go down in size, smallest I have ever used is 2.2kW.

Bear in mind that if you slow a fan cooled electric motor down (with fan attached to shaft like most are), the fan become ineffective at a rate greeater than the heat created by the motor at slower speed, so the motor will become prone to overheating.

I hope this make a little bit of sense. You might be able to get one from Maplin or such like.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Or is this some bizarre "yeah I was just hoovering in the nude and tripped over and landed awkwardly on the hose" situation where I really don't want the details?

My hoover-fetish secret is out!

Thanks for the pointers - I might take a trip to Maplins to see what they've got.

Why would I want to do this? It's coz there's a craft tool Ms Bubbaa has that is vac-powered, but our one is too powerful and we don't want to have to buy a new vac.

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
to go totally lo-tech

you might want to try blocking the nozzle/hose attachment to reduce the suck - maybe with scrunched up paper (this might overheat your motor over a long time).  also letting in air from the side somewhere- rather than all from the "use end" could reduce the suck at the use end.

nik at work

• forum hero
I've got a buggered dyson you could have if you want - it sucks like a..... well like something that really doesn't suck well at all.
Never really seen the point of hoovers myself.

P.S. This is a serious offer, but as I live a trillion miles away in some "stay off the moors lads" backwater I imagine you're not interested....

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
you might want to try blocking the nozzle/hose attachment to reduce the suck - maybe with scrunched up paper (this might overheat your motor over a long time).  also letting in air from the side somewhere- rather than all from the "use end" could reduce the suck at the use end.

Either of those would work, could get a simple valve (gate?) to control it more accurately.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
P.S. This is a serious offer, but as I live a trillion miles away in some "stay off the moors lads" backwater I imagine you're not interested....

Thanks Nik, but tbh the petrol money getting to yours and back would fund a new vac. off ebay. Cheers anyway :)

underground

• forum hero
what about running it off a genny and turning the throttle down?  ;)

Bubbz, have you tried RS/ Farnells/ Maplin etc? Or Bardwells on Abbeydale Road? There must be something simple to vary the speed of the motor, although 240v is possibly a bit dodgy to be messing with unless you're skilled.

I also seem to remeber seeing something for woodworking machinery that would do something similar- to that end try Axminster / Turner's Retreat or the place just past Raven Tor.

Still, if all you need is less suction, I'd just attach some extra hose and start making holes...

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Of course, Bardwells, the shop that sells everything electronic you will ever need!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal