UKBouldering.com

Where in the peak district? (Read 2463 times)

Tubbs 15

• regular
Where in the peak district?
October 04, 2006, 05:00:24 pm
I was just wondering whereabouts to go in the peak district because i want to go on a climbing trip soon before it starts to get wet and cold, i was thinking of going to Burbage Valley but i don't think i would be able to climb the gritstone because it has hardly any holds (correct me if I'm wrong but the pics i saw were featureless) I would like to go to a place the is beginner friendly, any suggestions welcome and please tell me if the gritstone is actually quite easy to climb (depending on the grade)

All help greatly appreciated.

Tubbs ;D

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
#1 Re: Where in the peak district?
October 04, 2006, 05:26:08 pm
I'm not being a smart arse,  but, go buy a guide book. and all will be revealed.....
have fun

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#2 Re: Where in the peak district?
October 04, 2006, 05:33:38 pm
it is true there is hardly any holds on the gritstone go and climb on the nice limestone

LucyB

• Trusted Users
  • obsessive maniac
#3 Re: Where in the peak district?
October 04, 2006, 06:57:42 pm
Help the boy out you grumpy tossers  :P

Burbage valley is good for beginners, particularly the boulders at B South, although these are very over used. The stuff at Cratcliffe is very nice, for a smallish circuit. Stanage Plantation has lots, prepare to get your ass whupped but have a great time (also very over used, but so are most good places).

Yeah, there's no holds anywhere, but it's fun  :bounce:

Begging, borrowing or stealing a guide would be your best option, especially to get away from the busier areas, but will defo help you find nice problems to climb too.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#4 Re: Where in the peak district?
October 04, 2006, 07:08:18 pm
I assume having mentioned Burbage that your coming from the East. If, however you are coming from the West then make your first grit port of call at The Roaches.
Guidebook pics make it hard to see the smaller holds (i.e ones that arent massive). Despite this all the easy grades (and a lot of climbs on grit are easy. Think VD or S or something) should be manageable as you can just use the awesome friction.

Tubbs 15

• regular
#5 Re: Where in the peak district?
October 04, 2006, 08:23:43 pm
yes, I'm from Cambridgeshire i went to the roaches and loved it but I'm not going back there any time soon. I found some of the problems there quite easy and this was a while back and i was wearing converse, The problems there had alot of holds but the photos of the burbage valley stuff looks pretty bleak when it comes to holds, this is my concern but ill try and get some more info on burbage.

Tubbs  ;D

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#6 Re: Where in the peak district?
October 04, 2006, 08:31:12 pm
In that case get a guidebook and go to the Roaches and do some proper stuff. With proper shoes, chalk and a mat then you should be able to manage some proper bouldering with sit starts and all that malarkey. Get a guidebook to wherever you are going or look over another boulderers shoulder to see what problems you should be doing.

BenF

• forum hero
#7 Re: Where in the peak district?
October 05, 2006, 08:06:57 am
Help the boy out you grumpy tossers  :P

Quality response.  That's made me laugh on this rather miserable morning. 

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#8 Re: Where in the peak district?
October 05, 2006, 08:37:30 am
Tubbs, if you have climbed at the Roaches you have climbed gritstone already. The stuff of the eastern peak is not that different. With your new climbing shoes you should notice an improvement already.

chappers

• forum hero
#9 Re: Where in the peak district?
October 06, 2006, 08:26:28 am

Begging, borrowing or stealing a guide would be your best option,

ha ha one of my mates picked up a fresh copy of ru's book just after it first came out, got it to the crag to find that the stanage part had been ripped out before he got it by some pikey fucker. i pissed my self. ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal